DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Long distance flight over sea, Wind?

poppeye

Reactions
Hi !

Am been slavering about the thought to fly from My MAvic pro from the City over to an Island. I think it is about 3500m but am not sure. Tomorrow it's suposed to me arround 1,2m/s wind velosity. Any consern that i have to think about ?

Am not that keen to have a fly away or se my Mavic pro goes into the ocean ,)

Hi !

Am been slavering about the thought to fly from My MAvic pro from the City over to an Island. I think it is about 3500m but am not sure. Tomorrow it's suposed to me arround 1,2m/s wind velosity. Any consern that i have to think about ?

Am not that keen to have a fly away or se my Mavic pro goes into the ocean ,)
If you’re worried- don’t do it! The winds over that distance could vary dramatically and, your return is into a headwind, very likely that you’ll be waving goodbye to your drone!!

Reactions: Irish-apple
The wind velocity is one think but the wind direction can male it you friend or your enemy.
One rule, in case if doubt, just don't do it, think how to have no doubt. And have always a plan B as rules are made to fail.

If you’re worried- don’t do it! The winds over that distance could vary dramatically and, your return is into a headwind, very likely that you’ll be waving goodbye to your drone!!

It would not happen if you followed the visual line of sight rule. I don’t understand why people are stuck on see how far they can go. There are too many variables,to contend with. If someone looses their drone because they did not follow the rules “if they dance they have to pay the fiddler.”

Thats a long way over water. You have no way of knowing the actual wind speed or the wind speed at altitude ahead of time. Winds can also be short and long term variable, they can pick in in strength for a few minutes and drop and so on. You also dont get as much from an assist by a tail wind as you get hindered by a head wind due to how the drone is coded.

The only half sane method of doing it is keep an eye on the RPM, speed and pitch of the drone to gauge the amount of work its doing in the wind. And changing direction to analyse this from a few angles during flight.

In ideal conditions you're looking at about 7 mins to get out there, 7 mins to get back. That doesn't leave long for actual filming and getting back with a reserve.

To me seems like a pointless idea. If its 3.5km away launch from somewhere close or borrow a boat.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Thx for al the advice ! ye, maybe it's just a stupid Idea!....I actually like my drone ,)

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. – Mark Twain

If money was no problem and the thought of spending $1000 to replace your sunk drone is no big deal to you, then go for it.
Otherwise let common sense prevail and don't do it.

Reactions: poppeye
I had a long career in the military and was a sniper and military free faller. Now I work for a Marine company and we use drones to film vessels. So I know only too well how winds can change over an extended range, particularly over water and near islands. A 5 knot westerly at your location could be a 20 knot easterly or more at 2000m from you over water. Then there are wind shears and gusts that happen when ocean winds go over islands. Unless you have been out to that island in a boat and made a good assessment of winds along the way, I wouldn't risk it, Especially given the extended range of over 3000m. If a 20 knot or more gust catches the drone when it's 3000m from you, no amount of RTH will save it. And if it battles a head wind on the way back, it may run out of juice.

If you have a spare $800 available, go for it. Let us know the end result. If it works, bravo! If it fails, you buy another drone and move on. It's all about acceptable risk. Everyone's level of "acceptable" is different. Of course there are also the "Line of sight" rules that are meant for everyone, you included.

Direction of the wind is the most importnat thing for you; the wind has to be blowing towards you from the island, so you fly out against the wind, and your return flight will be with the wind.

This video may help too :)

Direction of the wind is the most importnat thing for you; the wind has to be blowing towards you from the island, so you fly out against the wind, and your return flight will be with the wind.

This video may help too :)
Hi Ian, good advice. Also, just wanted to say that I find all your videos useful - thanks!

I’m an Air user, but your advice is still relevant ;)
Well, the Air automatically turns off the sensors when the wind gets too strong or the pitch of the drone is too steep when flying fast. But range and possible interference may be your problem. Mine cuts out around 2000m, but admittedly that's in Europe so the remote is in reduced CE power mode. Good luck ! :)

I have NO issues flying that distance over marsh on the east coast US about 20 miles inland . I dont EVER fly with wind blowing around at eye level much less 150 feet up.. Other than that... Keep it way above anything close to water level and go for it.... Just remember you might be heartbroken trying to stress her out and lose her..

Do you have a "seabreeze" blowing there. Here in the warmer months it blows every afternoon. It blows towatds land at sea level but a few 1000 feet up it is blowing in ttje opposite direction

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000