DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LONG EXPOSURE

Mavic Camera is decent but if you use lightroom, u can improve the puc quality immensly.

Mavic Camera is decent but if you use lightroom, u can improve the puc quality immensly.
I'd be hard pressed to call Mavic's camera "decent". I do use lightroom, but try not to be overly aggressive with it. Can't say i am any professional with it, though. Here is an example of "before and after" (before - is from dng preview, after - after me pulling some lightroom sliders, which is kinda... cheating).

0524 - Red Rock Canyon, NV, USA r.jpg
Before

0524 - Red Rock Canyon, NV, USA.jpg
after​

I'd be hard pressed to call Mavic's camera "decent". I do use lightroom, but try not to be overly aggressive with it. Can't say i am any professional with it, though. Here is an example of "before and after" (before - is from dng preview, after - after me pulling some lightroom sliders, which is kinda... cheating).

Oo thats a nice pic

Nice pic [emoji106]At that angle, with the sun being where it is, even DSLR's without a sun shade/hood will have sun flare. As an example, I use pro level DSLR's & filter kits, yet still get sun flare on occasion. The camera on the mavic is no pro level DSLR, but still good enough for taking aerial shots in the right conditions. Most photographers wouldn't take shots in harsh light, and your pic at the Canyon is still usable with good detail. I'm happy with the Mavic's cam, and only advice I'd give anyone who wants to use it during the day in bright sun is use an NDPL (we photographers do with OUR DSLR's - so why is this any different) and consider the angle you want to shoot on relative to the sun - ie: away from the sun. Cheers.

Nice pic [emoji106]At that angle, with the sun being where it is, even DSLR's without a sun shade/hood will have sun flare. As an example, I use pro level DSLR's & filter kits, yet still get sun flare on occasion. The camera on the mavic is no pro level DSLR, but still good enough for taking aerial shots in the right conditions. Most photographers wouldn't take shots in harsh light, and your pic at the Canyon is still usable with good detail. I'm happy with the Mavic's cam, and only advice I'd give anyone who wants to use it during the day in bright sun is use an NDPL (we photographers do with OUR DSLR's - so why is this any different) and consider the angle you want to shoot on relative to the sun - ie: away from the sun. Cheers.
Hey, i am by no mean not complaining about the sun flare, this pic isn't an example on anything i complain about, its just an example of what i do with LR (just to show that i am not overly aggressive with it at all).

Now, if you really wanna know, this is what i dislike about Mavic's camera and its software (yea, i know i shouldn't mix the 2, but anyway):

1. Fixed aperture. Like, seriously, WTF, why?!

2. Terrible high ISO preformance and low max usable ISO.

3. Terrible autofocus, especially at lower light condition.

4. Unusable manual focus, no 1:1 preview, no way to set to hyperfocal.

5. Slightly uneven focus plane (probably a defect on my specific camera, barely noticeable, yet there).

6. Crappy metering (i am almost permanently on EV-2/3 or EV-1/3).

7. Pretty bad dynamic range, even for a pocket (on par with mid range phones).

The toy did cost me a $1k or so, so yea, i've had higher expectations. To those telling me its "just" $1k, hey, i wasn't expecting a flying DSLR either. But fixed aperture? Crappy autofocus? Like... REALLY? This screams "DJI, this is flying CAMERA, get your things together".

I hear you on all points. To some extent I agree - yes, $1k is no laughing matter - agreed. However, it is a similar scenario with DSLR's. We can't reasonably expect an entry level DSLR to perform the same way as a pro level DSLR. ISO performance, dynamic range etc will vary greatly between say a Nikon d5200 and a Nikon D850, yes? Hence, the price difference. I guess if we want better performance in this department, we need to expend funds proportionately using the DSLR scenario as the example. I see some drones priced in excess of $5k and whilst I haven't had any experience with them, I can only imagine the camera setup will be far superior to ours. Nevertheless, in the right conditions, we can still pull off some pretty good shots and record some pretty good video footage. [emoji4][emoji106][emoji4]

Reactions: borislip
Yes we can. Same can be told about your mobile phone camera. But your mobile is sold as a multipurpose device, drones are sold explicitly as an aerial photography tool. Sure thing, i wouldn't expect anything near an entry level DSLR at this price point. Maybe not even at LX10 level (a pocket i use, similar to RX100 you must be familiar with. 1" sensor), but i fully expect something like... lets say LX5? Its nowhere near!

And some things are software, or mostly software (such as focus stuff), and simply have NO excuse whatsoever. DJI needs competitors. Badly :(

And yea, just a disclaimer... i am not a photographer... nor a DSLR user (form factor too big for me, otherwise i would get one)... but you can guess i am well familiar with the photography stuff, fully use whatever amateur gear i carry, and totally expect a lot from anything i buy (this isn't just related to the photography, but pretty much everything i buy).

Here is an example of "before and after" (before - is from dng preview, after - after me pulling some lightroom sliders, which is kinda... cheating).
It's not cheating, it's called digital post-processing and it should be done with any photograph, whether it's taken with a Mavic or a DSLR.

It's not cheating, it's called digital post-processing and it should be done with any photograph, whether it's taken with a Mavic or a DSLR.
I know what it is, and its a good question when does it become cheating. Sure, recovering some highlights and pulling up some shadows sounds benign, while, lets say, replacing the entire sky is definitely cheating (can you do that in LR? Not sure, but easy enough in PS). Now, while i dont do that, what about stuff in between, such as applying exposure gradient (which i often do on Mavic pics) to darken the sky a bit?

I watched this topic with interest, but just for the sake of the comparison, how much better would it be with the inspire 2 ?
Oh well, come over here, and bring an inspire 2 with you, along with the best camera you can get for it. I'll be happy to try flying it and work on it's pics to compare the results :)

I know what it is, and its a good question when does it become cheating. Sure, recovering some highlights and pulling up some shadows sounds benign, while, lets say, replacing the entire sky is definitely cheating (can you do that in LR? Not sure, but easy enough in PS). Now, while i dont do that, what about stuff in between, such as applying exposure gradient (which i often do on Mavic pics) to darken the sky a bit?
I've been a photographer for 40 years or so. None of this is unique to digital photography. With film it was common to dodge and burn areas of an image while printing it to even out exposure differences and to get the sky to look the way you wanted it to. We'd use filters to shift or correct colors, gradient filters on the sky, you name it.

All photos benefit from some amount of editing.

Reactions: borislip
Oh well, come over here, and bring an inspire 2 with you, along with the best camera you can get for it. I'll be happy to try flying it and work on it's pics to compare the results :)

Sorry that I can't. Don't own one ;) just a MPP. I was curious just for the fact it should be more stable and how would that affect the shutter speed.

It won't affect the shutter speed on its own, user controls the shutter speed. Would a heavier drone and gimbal improve long exposures? Possiblly, but this is just a speculation. Would a camera with a faster lens (is it?) and a bigger sensor allows for shorter exposures, so you get better, but not necessarily long exposure, night shots? I bet it would.

There are definitely big improvements being made in image sensors when it comes to sensitivity in lower light.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kueaue