DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Long Island drone

Sevier456

Reactions
Has any one found a good spot to fly in Long Island ny ??

Not a beach not over a lake but maybe something abandon or private?

Somewhere we can look at something interesting other then water lol

I went to thanks also there a little inlet not the bluff it's right off old dock road a lot of kayaker sand there's a little play ground good flying

Forgot about that place I live 10 minutes from there

7be1074f4472f28f8227bfb8d0f46b5f.jpg

Anyone who live on Long Island and also in the city

On the meet up app there is a Long Island drone community that is meeting up this Sunday at governors island all drones are welcome

So earlier today, I headed out to Demo Point with my Mavic.

For those that don't know, this is the Western most tip of Fire Island and there's vehicle access on the beach to those that have 4x4 permits.

Anyways, in all the years I've been going out there, I've NEVER once seen Police actually patrol this area of beaches.

In fact, when I usually go, there's rarely anyone there (great place to just relax and get away from it all)

Well, I figured it would be the perfect spot to test out some of the flight modes I'm not too familiar with, but not even 2 minutes after take off, the cops show up and tell me the entire park is a No Fly Zone (WTF where did they come from??)

Both officers were courteous and professional and said that there had been complaints from the locals, so they simply just banned flying altogether.

They also suggested contacting the park office for more detailed info on possibly getting a permit, but when I did, they simply stated that drones weren't allowed and the only permits they have available are the ones I already have (offroad, Empire parking, etc.)

Oh well, there goes my plans of scouting the lighthouse

Try flying from any boat ramp.

I'm not comfortable enough flying farther than line of sight just yet (especially when the app randomly crashes)

I was hoping to start from the boardwalk as I walk to the lighthouse every morning before the sun rises

Reactions: MrsTreat
Pilgrim Psych Center! Great place to fly.

Great video, loved the music certainly adds to the atmosphere. Looks like a really big facility. Where are the people now that used to be in these facilities and how are they being cared for.

I have flown over a few local to me and always conscious of how eerie they are now and think of what they must have been like when in use.

Thanks for sharing.

Great video, loved the music certainly adds to the atmosphere. Looks like a really big facility. Where are the people now that used to be in these facilities and how are they being cared for.

I have flown over a few local to me and always conscious of how eerie they are now and think of what they must have been like when in use.

Thanks for sharing.

They shut these facilities down many many years ago and the patients have all dispersed into the local communities where ever possible. Services are provided by local county hospitals now as outpatient.

When we moved to Long Island we had no idea all these facilities existed and the property they occupy is amazing. Can’t believe developers have not been able to get a hold of them and get projects going to regentrify these locations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kotszamana