DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Long-term effects of flying in the rain

Ok, maybe its not that significant but anything you add adds weight and wrapping a battery increases heat, (especially)
in Florida. My point wasn't about going 1,500 or 3,000 feet, I use strobes also, its that when you go out to fly you check the weather, that includes , what's the wind speeds, how the radar look will it be raining soon and if so, I know it and don't fly.
I live 30 miles north of West Palm, we've had our share of rain this year. Happy flying.
With the heat of Florida the neoprene protect the battery from direct sun repelling the x-rays. Again depend in the point of view. Is not for you. I used to fish a lot in Stuart and lived in Port St Lucie for 3 years and 4 in West Palm Beach by the Summit, Next to the Trump Gulf Club.

Hi Lee! See you're based in Malaysia too. Have you attempted to water-proof your drone then HAHA :p
Oh, I didn’t see your location. Yes the weather is a bummer now. All the way till end of the year. Don’t forget the Movement Control Order is still on force to curb COVID, and officially it’s no fly everywhere. So I know you are eager to put your expensive toy to use but I’d be safe and practice some restraint.

my recommendation is fly at dawn, the weather is usually as we have afternoon and evening thunderstorms more often, and it still makes for great pictures.

lastly, as I said, I have enough of water proofing my products at work, 8 to 6pm everyday, and I’m not even bothered to try it on my Mavic, as the effort will not justify the end result for me.

With the heat of Florida the neoprene protect the battery from direct sun repelling the x-rays. Again depend in the point of view. Is not for you. I used to fish a lot in Stuart and lived in Port St Lucie for 3 years and 4 in West Palm Beach by the Summit, Next to the Trump Gulf Club.
Quite right. Protection from the heat is a useful benefit. Does the neoprene suit also then trap heat inside? Seems to me that it could be a double-edged sword.

I need to disagree with the fact of extra weight and wind resistance. The Wet Suit weights only 0.4 of oz. That is nothing comparing the benefit, and the wind resistance is nothing as well.

Again. The product maybe is not for everybody and we need to respect that.

Usually I fly more than 1,500 ft. since I am able to see the drone mostly up to close 3,000 FT and I use lights to improve the VLOS. Also when i do range test using spotters I go way far, but that is me.

What part of FL you are?
Good point. Don't think weight would be an issue for me either. Would you happen to know how much it affects flight time and performance, though? I see this knowledge as a safeguard for a hypothetical situation in which the battery level is low and I want to bring the drone back. Would be a good guide for how far I can take the drone with the suit on.

Also, what kind of lights do you use to improve the VLOS?

Last edited:
I was carrying my drone down some icy steps and threw it into a brick wall when I slipped - next time I'll throw myself and cushion the drone! I wouldn't rate repairing the drone as difficult, assuming one is mechanically adept and has good soldering skills etc. (I was a Navy ET for 8 years in the 60's.

DJI Drone Service has good reviews (and free shipping and quote) for those who want to take the easy way, and videos that help those who are brave
Not mechanically adept or good at soldering by any means, but I guess I won't have to worry about this until the dreaded day comes. Thanks a bunch, bumper !

Oh, I didn’t see your location. Yes the weather is a bummer now. All the way till end of the year. Don’t forget the Movement Control Order is still on force to curb COVID, and officially it’s no fly everywhere. So I know you are eager to put your expensive toy to use but I’d be safe and practice some restraint.

my recommendation is fly at dawn, the weather is usually as we have afternoon and evening thunderstorms more often, and it still makes for great pictures.

lastly, as I said, I have enough of water proofing my products at work, 8 to 6pm everyday, and I’m not even bothered to try it on my Mavic, as the effort will not justify the end result for me.
Thanks Lee. Will definitely take your advice. By the way, do you happen to know of any local drone communities? Interested to see the creativity exercised here in Malaysia with regards to drones haha

Actually kinda like the effect. Might make for some unique shots.
I was thinking the same thing. I still have the lens and can pop it on for some special effects.

Thanks Lee. Will definitely take your advice. By the way, do you happen to know of any local drone communities? Interested to see the creativity exercised here in Malaysia with regards to drones haha
There is quite a few FB groups. You can search for mavic malaysia etc.

Reactions: Marcus Liew
Guys let’s get back on topic. Thanks.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Ok !!!! Long Terms Rain effects !!!! You get wet and eventually sick !!!

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Good point. Don't think weight would be an issue for me either. Would you happen to know how much it affects flight time and performance, though? I see this knowledge as a safeguard for a hypothetical situation in which the battery level is low and I want to bring the drone back. Would be a good guide for how far I can take the drone with the suit on.

Also, what kind of lights do you use to improve the VLOS?
So the Wet Suit weighs 0.04 of an ounce which is less than a half ounce. So there is no performance lost on a long distance flight.

With the said the Wet Suit are a fantastic tool that can be used by those making money to increase your opportunity to book more engagements with a lot less disappointment to your clients.

They are also invaluable to those who have geared up there Drones for Search and Rescue.

There is also a small but elite group of Extreme weather Photographers that get up in into the Lightning skies ,
or capture a Tornado, or credible cloud formations from Storms coming or going in the mix .

For me its an adventure every time I go up and I ask myself is this the storm that going to take me down. :p
From my own learning curve , its fair to say that your drone is going to out last your piloting skills , and the Wet Suit is going to be a temptation , dont get it. :oops::rolleyes:;)

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic Air 2 in the Rain and Float on Water.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada