DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Longest Distance Yet Seen.

jlawr

Reactions
1697 meters (just over a mile). Even though the connection seems weak, it still maintains connection. Cool.
Doesn't seem you can mainain eye contact, but good to know it works.

Reactions: Torque and jedi2155
for all we know the Beta firmware that DJI supplied to the people doing the hard sell ,could have been purposely restricted when it came to distance travelled ,to prevent any of them going far far away
we have to take the media hype with a pinch of salt,the only way to really see what the new RC and drone can do, will be when we get our hands on them

This video doesn't seem to test the Max Distance the M3P can fly, just that it can fly over a mile away, with a seemingly weak signal and have no issues returning to home. To me it looks like the signal is fine, it's just reporting that it's weak.
I don't plan to fly out of line of sight, so this just reinforces to me that even when the dignal appears weak, I won't need to worry.

Reactions: Torque
M2P and others had serious range and disconnect issues when first launched.
Lasted about a week until a new firmware fixed whatever the issue was.

Any O3 drone should have identical performance in terms of distance

1697 meters (just over a mile). Even though the connection seems weak, it still maintains connection. Cool.

to be honest this is something not really being talked about but it does seem the Mini 3 Pro, or perhaps its new screen "RC" controller has DRASTICALLY LOWER signal range than other previous Occusync 3 and 2 drones. Now I'm not debating that about a mile is ok (in this test) since with a drone this size that is well beyond line of sight for legality purposes HOWEVER the Mini 2 could travel 2-3 miles or even farther using the RC-N1 (non screen) controller and even more importantly at a mile it would usually have a rock solid signal as opposed to examples like this where it gets flaky. Several reviews now (for sure DC Rainmaker and a few others) have mentioned off hand issues with flaky signals even short of a mile away using the RC controller and mentioned they would be monitoring it. Now I'm not sure what would happen if you paired the Mini 3 Pro to the RC-N1 non-screen controller... perhaps it is the RC and NOT the Mini that is the issue and this would up the range? Whatever the case it seems the Mini 3 Pro, at least paired with the new RC controller will have reasonable but much reduced range compared to previous Occusync drones using the RC-N1, Smart Controller, or RC Pro controllers. something for us to watch...

Reactions: AVLJMA
M2P and others had serious range and disconnect issues when first launched.
Lasted about a week until a new firmware fixed whatever the issue was.

Any O3 drone should have identical performance in terms of distance

should is the keyword there. obviously there could be changes in the antenna system in the new mini 3 pro that could compromise the signal and it sure seems strange the Smart Controller and RC Pro screen controllers both had dual external antennas but suddenly the new RC screen controller has INTERNAL antennas yet claims the same range? Yet here we are... I have seen MANY reviews claiming flaky signals at a mile or less, which is WAY less than you could fly a Mini 2 / RC-N1 combo even in somewhat challenging conditions.

Based on the comments on the YouTube link, it sounds like its due to a pre-release firmware + possible CE signal output vs. FCC signal output.

I would take the current range test with a grain of salt due to software limits rather than hardware limits.

RC-N1 antennas are wrapped in plastic.
The new RC are wrapped in plastic just in a different location.
Nothing to suggest they're in any way different or blocked at all on top of that.

We're not seeing range tests because the early reviewers would have signed conditions stating they wont use it to do anything illegal (and then document it) and quite likely pre-release firmware (we know some lacked 4k60 and other features).

Very premature to be making any guesses as to range based on that.

RC-N1 antennas are wrapped in plastic.
The new RC are wrapped in plastic just in a different location.
Nothing to suggest they're in any way different or blocked at all on top of that.

We're not seeing range tests because the early reviewers would have signed conditions stating they wont use it to do anything illegal (and then document it) and quite likely pre-release firmware (we know some lacked 4k60 and other features).

Very premature to be making any guesses as to range based on that.

Fair enough, but I think it needs to be looked into when they launch into the wild later this week. While no one should be flying a 249g drone 3+ miles from their location there is no question the ability to fly super long distances has translated into a greater likelihood that signal remains acceptable even in a challenging radio environment when flying at more reasonable, closer ranges. So far I have seen numerous reviews talking about signal issues at less than a mile and absolutely no reviews that even hint at operating the drone at further ranges (although legal issues and FAA trolling YouTube for enforcement makes that less likely these days I admit) so its a concern. I'm looking forward to my Mini 3 Pro arriving but truly hope the drone and RC screen controller combo maintains the same range performance I've grown to love from my Mini 2 and Mavic 2 Pro and doesn't take a step back.

well here in the UK as well as staying in VLOS, we have a 500m max distance from the home point recommendation , when we fly our drones ,so the maximum distance a drone can supposedly fly ,really has no bearing ,other than giving us a stable signal between the RC and the drone at all times ,with something like the MM at 200ft high, and some 600ft distance i am starting to struggle to see it especially in bright sunlight
the distances quoted for signal range ,are up to such and such distances possible,they are not cast in tablets of stone
i have had my Mini 1 since it was first released and during all that time i have never had any connection issues between the RC and aircraft regardless of where i was flying, and it only has WIFI not the enhanced Occusync WIFI that the Mini 2 has
so for me being able to fly way way beyond my VLOS capabilities ,is a none starter

A bit more ability to work with a weaker signal thats partially blocked by trees etc would be nice.
I've lost signal on my M2P at 300m before now due to errant branches and leaves.

A long range signal means it can operate are low SNRs which is equivalent to having interference or a blocked signal path.

Old man Mavic is absolutely right about flying VLOS. However, it is also true that a very good range in general guarantees that when you find yourself in a difficult environment with a lot of interference and/or obstacles, your drone is going to keep a solid connection while working VLOS.

I read that the drones already out for review are using beta firmware, which could explain the problem. Until we see the M3P out in the wild and with a official firmware, there’s not much to be said about whether there is a legitimate range issue or not.

Surely DJI have to stand by this...

DJI Mini 3 Pro boasts a flagship-level video transmission system in DJI O3.
It ensures a 1080p/30fps live feed at distances of up to 12 km. [5] From city views to outdoor adventure, always fly with a crisp and reliable live feed.

5. FCC compliant and with no obstructions in an outdoor open area.

Why would this feature in their marketing material if it weren't the case? Or have all the drone distance tests only been with drones that were non FCC?? 1600m is a huge difference from 12000m. I guess time will tell when actual non youtubers start receiving their purchased drones...

@Bussty
It's the same sort with the specifications of flight time, it's theoretically.
Technically, under ideal circumstances, 12 km are certainly possible (I would even believe a bit more), but from a practical viewpoint, with interference, terrain, weather conditions, etc. this may vary dramatically.

With the differences in design of the drone and the controller, it may be obvious to explain, why a reduction in range is explainable. It might also be the case, that with the beta firmware DJI has reduced the signal strength or any other parameter in this matter. We simply don't know.

There have always, ALWAYS been these discussions about reduction of range and the fear of poor signal with any new drone.
I am flying in Europe where we have the weaker signal output, not the FCC mode, and I only had problems with the signal, when it completely derived from the above given circumstances: terrain, interference, handling error.

I simply can't see, why DJI should drastically worse their O3 transmission (bugs aside). At least one reviewer said (51 Drones), he experienced better reception than with any of his other drones (out for about 1 km). So, there's that.

It's too early to tell and a bit of a neglectable worry in my opinion for most of daily flights. ;)
But if you are hunting the next record or fly in areas with heavy congestion, external antennae would possibly the way to go.

Last edited:
@Bussty
It's the same sort with the specifications of flight time, it's theoretically.
Technically, under ideal circumstances, 12 km are certainly possible (I would even believe a bit more), but from a practical viewpoint, with interference, terrain, weather conditions, etc. this may vary dramatically.

With the differences in design of the drone and the controller, it may be obvious to explain, why a reduction in range is explainable. It might also be the case, that with the beta firmware DJI has reduced the signal strength or any other parameter in this matter. We simply don't know.

There have always, ALWAYS been these discussions about reduction of range and the fear of poor signal with any new drone.
I am flying in Europe where we have the weaker signal output, not the FCC mode, and I only had problems with the signal, when it completely derived from the above given circumstances: terrain, interference, handling error.

I simply can't see, why DJI should drastically worse their O3 transmission (bugs aside). At least one reviewer said (51 Drones), he experienced better reception than with any of his other drones (out for about 1 km). So, there's that.

It's too early to tell and a bit of a neglectable worry in my opinion for most of daily flights. ;)
But if you are hunting the next record or fly in areas with heavy congestion, external antennae would possibly the way to go.
Cheers for that, I think you must be right and final versions surely have more indicative range. Guess we will just have to wait and see 👍

Reactions: globetrotterdrone

I was wondering if I had a US FA drone if it would work say in Europe to a better signal and distance?
Anyone know? I assume it would know its in Europe and change...unless used fake gps ap

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoBeeshy