DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for a DIY banner drag for the mini

Ben Noah Gaya

Reactions
I've been looking for a while to build a banner for the mini to lift and drag around.

Big and Safe as possible.

Any thoughts?
Do I need to do any settings on the mini software if I add some wait and drag?

A pointless and perhaps unwise exercise in my opinion, the mini is already working near its limits as standard. I suspect that anything big enough to be seen will just act as either a 'sea anchor' or a sail even if the mini can get it off the ground

Last edited by a moderator:
In my head I see a free axil making it rotate freely 360, so wind won't make it a sail or cause any problem, the anchor is a thing to solve with the mini, I'm willing to upgrade to the air2 if it can handle the task

The banner shouldn't be big as hell

An additional consideration, how will the banner and or its tether/s behave during descent? I have on occasions attached a tether to a drone and I ended up having to weight it with distributed paper clips to be certain it kept away from the props during descent

Reactions: Capt KO and scro
No I can't sorry, it wouldnt be visible. All it was/is is nylon thread tied around the drone's waist with a few paper clips tied on at about 1m intervals for maybe 10m to weight the thread and stop it drifting into the props as the drone descends

The Mini can struggle with wind without anything attached to it. The banner will catch the wind a bit like a sail, regardless of whether it can swivel around or not. The absolute maximum weight the mini can lift is around 180g (a few youtube videos on this) so expect to need to stay under about 100g total extra weight for the Mini to be able to fly properly. Best bet is to hang a weighted string down below the body by about 1m and then attach any banners from that.

The MA2 is a much more powerful drone so would be better suited to the task.

Edit: a decent rubber band around the waist of the body would be enough to suspend any weight the MM can lift.

Last edited:
Any abrupt control inputs at high forward speed, will allow the tow line to get tangled in the props. This will cause a broken arm on the tangled prop and down it will come, read -CRASH. ...posting for a friend.....
Maybe if you use something heavier than sewing thread and crime/caution tape, you'd be okay ...but then you'd be dealing with overheated motors like what PhiliusFoggg said.

Last edited:
A pointless and perhaps unwise exercise in my opinion, the mini is already working near its limits as standard. I suspect that anything big enough to be seen will just act as either a 'sea anchor' or a sail even if the mini can get it off the ground
+1

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albestinspections