DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for examples of the Mavic 2 Zoom - Super Resolution feature

A byte is a unit of computer memory. A pixel is an element of a picture. A megabyte and megapixels are two different things.

The file size is in megabytes. The image size is in megapixels. It actually takes 3 bytes to store the information contained in one pixel. So, in the case of the 48 Megapixel image, you need 144 Megabytes to hold it in memory or store it on disk.

In order to save on disk space and file transfer times, JPG images are compressed. So the 144 Megabytes get compressed to around 12 - 15 Megabytes. That's what you can expect when looking at your Hi Rez image file sizes.

Note that you can't determine the exact number of pixels based on file size, because JPG compression depends on how much detail is in the image. Images with a lot of detail will be larger.

Thank you but it is hard for us to assess as it has been downsized to post. We need to look at the full high res image.
One comment that seems to be common on the images that I have had our team assess far is that the resolution is definitely there, but the lens quality may not be -- there is a whack of ghosting on almost every straight line (look at the edges of all the buildings).
What he posted WAS a full res image.

The ghosting, lack of detail and excessive noise are all due to the relatively poor onboard stitching, as usual for every camera that tries to do that kind of fancy stuff.
The super-res feature is good at automating the capture of properly overlapping images, but by all means set the camera to save the original images (as RAW), and stitch/process them yourself. When done right there's a world of difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShanS2k
The ghosting, lack of detail and excessive noise are all due to the relatively poor onboard stitching, as usual for every camera that tries to do that kind of fancy stuff.
The super-res feature is good at automating the capture of properly overlapping images, but by all means set the camera to save the original images (as RAW), and stitch/process them yourself. When done right there's a world of difference.

When you set the camera/drone to Super Resolution, do you have the option of saving the individual images to RAW at the same time? ... or do you just take the overlapping images manually, save them and process them later without using Super Resolution? Is the lens quality part of the issue?

When you set the camera/drone to Super Resolution, do you have the option of saving the individual images to RAW at the same time?
Yes. Super res is a variant of Panorama, so the setting to keep panorama originals either in JPG or RAW applies to it.

Is the lens quality part of the issue?
Nope, just poor in-camera stitching.

Yes. Super res is a variant of Panorama, so the setting to keep panorama originals either in JPG or RAW applies to it.

Nope, just poor in-camera stitching.

Would you be able to post a Super Resolution image for me along with the individual images that make it up for analysis?

Thanks Rick

I just had the maiden flight for my M2Z yesterday. Here is my example of Super Resolution. Not the most interesting photo but just an example.
Thats impressive i really need try that out next i got my zoom last week, i havent gone near fotos yet.

What app can I use on Mac to stich raw files from superres capture?

I generally use Photoshop. It is now available online for a monthly fee. Pretty much the industry standard.

I just had the maiden flight for my M2Z yesterday. Here is my example of Super Resolution. Not the most interesting photo but just an example.

If you don't mind my asking... How do you get the final "assembled" pan? I found the various separate jpg (dng, actually) but is there some step or process to stitch them together?

Thanks in advance.

If you don't mind my asking... How do you get the final "assembled" pan? I found the various separate jpg (dng, actually) but is there some step or process to stitch them together?

Thanks in advance.
I think you go into Panorama and click on Super Resolution then take your photo.

I think you go into Panorama and click on Super Resolution then take your photo.

But then what? Is there a step needed to SAVE the entire stitched together panorama? When I examined the drone's folder, all I see are the separate pieces.

When you take a shot the originals are put in the PANORAMA folder (if enabled) but the stitched JPEG is in the normal media folder along with standard single shots and videos.

Reactions: ff22
When you take a shot the originals are put in the PANORAMA folder (if enabled) but the stitched JPEG is in the normal media folder along with standard single shots and videos.

Thanks for the response.

Well, I did find the originals but there was no stitched or assembled jpeg in the dcim or other folder. I looked both on the sd card (where the pan was stored) and in the Zoom's internal memory/storage. Is there something that has to be done? Official close or terminate the flight. I think that I've read that if you prematurely turn off the drone, sometimes a video file does not get "closed correctly" and might be unreadable - I gather some kind of housekeeping to close out the file. Maybe same thing for one of these pan shots???

At the end of the pano you have to wait until it's done processing and the button has switched back to "ready" before doing anything, otherwise you'd be cancelling it. Can't see anything else that would cause it not to stitch.

Reactions: ff22
I will have to try again and see if that's the step I may have missed. By "button" you mean the "shutter" button to the right side?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13