DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for some local advice around Brisbane

EclecticGeek

Reactions
Hi all,

Fairly new pilot in Brisbane looking for some local advice. I'm a Victorian temporarily living in Brisbane and don't know the area well enough - barely at all in fact.

Been having some fun in the dedicated drone parks getting a feel for the Mavic Air, but want something a little more picturesque to start playing with the camera. There's only so many photos of my wife and I standing in a drone park that I can bare. So looking for any location recommendations within a few hours of Brisbane - obviously ones that can be legally flown at. Don't care that much where or what, just anything worth taking some photos of for a beginner.

If I were still in Melbourne I could think of a million places near home. Loving QLD but it's frustrating not knowing the area that well.

TIA. Cheers.

Not that familiar with Brisbane, but do know that in Queensland there is no ban on flying in National parks. That must open up a lot of places along the ranges.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Try Redcliffe. It's a bit north of Brisbane. I was told near the jetty, there's sunken ship. I've flown over the waters. When someone told me about the sunken ship, it was close to sunset and I had 1 battery to go.

Also, try Minnippi Parklands, south of the city. It's not really a drone park, but there's a hobby model aircraft park nearby. Go down near the waters and you can play with the camera settings to take different shots. Either early morning or near sunset.

someone told me about the sunken ship

I actually know this one, been there only very recently. It's almost literally right next to several apartment blocks, so I'm not sure if it's technically feasible - I'd be guessing it's well within 30 meters.

do know that in Queensland there is no ban on flying in National parks

Do you have a link for that? I don't believe that's true, NP rules are national I thought. From what I've read you need a permit in QLD the same as anywhere else.

try Minnippi Parklands, south of the city
Cheers thanks for that, I'll look it up.

You probably have the CIFT app, but as you are aware, many local councils right across Australia have bylaws banning take off or landing from 'their' land. You can fly over, but not from / to.

Brisbane City Council (BCC) has those dedicated parks to fly, I visited one a while ago when up there, and it wasn't the sort of place you'd fly, apart from testing something, or while learning . . . nothing to film or photograph as such.

You can just fly under CASA rules and using CIFT app to check before going there and flying, but if flying from any sort of council land, technically you should visit their website and look up bylaws to fly drones.
I usually find this stuff pretty quick Googling > (name) council, drones, models, bylaw < but some hide their bylaws pretty well.

Worse comes to worst, obvious council property (aside from BCC area), fly if ok under CASA, fly when quiet (I like early morning late arvos for light anyway), fly away from people, fly high (quietly).
If anyone bugs you (a ranger) just apologise and say you'll land and leave forthwith, as you were unaware of ban and saw no warning signs etc.

As said QLD Nat Pks are the best, and now WA has gone that way too.
Let's hope other states follow suit with that !!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anchorhavasu