DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LOS distances, and the law.

I’m intrigued when reading various posts on here about the distances that some people have achieved. I’ve seen mentions of over 1 mile, 3 kms, and more. Here in Australia, the law is don’t fly beyond unassisted LOS.
I lose “line of sight” with my Mavic after a few hundred meters/yards.
I understood most countries have the same or similar “distance” regulations as well as the normal flying above people and buildings rules as well.
Am I misreading regulations or is it OK to fly these distances?
If you are out of LOS technically breaking the law. BUT, within reason and most will not say or do anything. Just know where your drone is, be aware of flying objects such as planes, helicopters, etc. Also do not go so far that if something were to happen you would be able to retrieve it.

Reactions: Merstham Flyer
hi, I used “Flytron” strobes on a previous drone, but only for the orientation of the AC. Do you know if there’s any out there you can see past 500m?
I’ll post when I set up my Firehouse Arcs. Got the three colour pack so I can see the orientation. Be interesting to see the visibility, especially prior to sunset as the light gets a bit dimmer, or on a dull day...

For sure there are the popular US Firehouse Technology (FHT) strobes.
With only the one led in the Strobon, it is good for farily close, like regular VLOS and be able to see it pretty quick if you looked away.
I can't recall the lumens for each when doing the research many months ago, but it isn't anywhere near the output of the FHT strobes.
The duals with 2 leds, ARCII with 4, Spark with 5, and ARC XL with 5 . . .

White is the best colour for VLOS use.

Trouble is they won't ship o/seas, actually not even over the border to Canada !! :confused:

I have some FHT strobes coming from the US (with a relative) in a week or so, going to get them shipped down from Brisbane when they return, or going up there again in a couple of weeks and pick them up.
Getting a couple for other forum users (Aust and NZ) and ordered a few more (ARCII and Spark strobes) for spares.
If interested, PM me . . . I am doing this at cost in AUD, with bank card payment fees and onforwarding cost only, as a favour for locals here.

I flew out to 700m recently with the ARCII public series red / white (2 of each white / red leds) and could see it clearly against a horizon, rarely do I go past that.
The 4 white led would be a vast improvement, have those coming, but only a couple of spares due to cost.
I have 6 extra Sparks coming too, with a magnifying dome over the 5 leds, it throws light out at more acute angles, better for some drones like the Air where the batteries underneath are about the only place to fit strobes (if not using arm mounts).
Hi, thanks for the quick response.... I still have the Flytron strobes, but will def lookout for the Firehouse ones if and when I get keen enough to go out to longer distances.
Thanks for the tips too.
keep in touch,
safe flying,Chris

but will def lookout for the Firehouse ones if and when I get keen enough to go out to longer distances.
If you ever want them, I should mention there is ONE place (Perth Drone Shop) that brings them in as a retailer.

They are really nice blokes there in the store, talked to them about getting the Firehouse when I was looking, but they have big overheads and the cost was just too high for what I wanted to buy . . . plus they didn't have the full range, only bits and pieces they wanted to stock, which makes sense to them as there are many strobe variations.

If you ever want something, shoot me a message, I might have some left at least 600 lumens in white which is pretty good.

The new ARC XL are 1000 lumen, and have that audible alarm, if the strobe is on, and not moving for 4 mins it sets off.
Not sure if that is good in all non controlled descents to ground level (a crash :D ) it could alert someone else where your drone is, or draw attention to the incident.
In the bush it'd be great !!

I also wonder if 1000 lumen is TOO bright / not really needed for real world VLOS.
I consider a km or a little more is really getting to the boundary of useful VLOS.
ARCII or Spark 600 lumen is blinding enough if you look at them too close when taking off etc, you get a little rod vision black spot for a minute :confused:

If you ever want them, I should mention there is ONE place (Perth Drone Shop) that brings them in as a retailer.

They are really nice blokes there in the store, talked to them about getting the Firehouse when I was looking, but they have big overheads and the cost was just too high for what I wanted to buy . . . plus they didn't have the full range, only bits and pieces they wanted to stock, which makes sense to them as there are many strobe variations.

If you ever want something, shoot me a message, I might have some left at least 600 lumens in white which is pretty good.

The new ARC XL are 1000 lumen, and have that audible alarm, if the strobe is on, and not moving for 4 mins it sets off.
Not sure if that is good in all non controlled descents to ground level (a crash :D ) it could alert someone else where your drone is, or draw attention to the incident.
In the bush it'd be great !!

I also wonder if 1000 lumen is TOO bright / not really needed for real world VLOS.
I consider a km or a little more is really getting to the boundary of useful VLOS.
ARCII or Spark 600 lumen is blinding enough if you look at them too close when taking off etc, you get a little rod vision black spot for a minute :confused:
Many thanks for that..

in the uk, its 500 meters. Im the same as the op, after a couple of hundred meters or so, I loose sight. However, I have gone much further didtances using active tacking when I've done stuff with my truck.
Pleasre explain "active tacking" and extendin
in the uk, its 500 meters. Im the same as the op, after a couple of hundred meters or so, I loose sight. However, I have gone much further didtances using active tacking when I've done stuff with my truck.
Please explain "active tacking" and extending your distances.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM