DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Losing Contact

noosaguy

Reactions
Hi all, newbie here and a question for you. I have a M2P and being an older bloke perhaps my eyes aren't as good as they were. I stick to the rules in australia as much as I can and have a 120m altitude limit and a 500m distance limit to ensure it is in sight. BUT... a couple of times I've been up at close to maximum altitude and lost sight of the drone. I know I can use RTH but should I choose to bring it home manually, how do I determine where it is and what is the right direction? I'm primarily a photographer and use the iPhone screen to search interesting potential images which sometimes means the drone can end up away from me in an unknown direction (still within safe ranges though).

So what tools do I use to determine the position and orientation of my drone in relation to my position. I know I'm new at this but a couple of times I've suffered minor panic attacks trying to figure out the correct way home.

You can use the attitude indicator and map in DJI GO to locate your Mavic and steer it back toward the home point. Here are a few related videos to check out:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You can use the attitude indicator and map in DJI GO to locate your Mavic and steer it back toward the home point. Here are a few related videos to check out:

Hey thank you very much Msinger. I'd searched for a video that explained things but obviously didn't use the right terms. I'd tried to use the red triangle but found it confusing when you're not confident about where you are. The fear was I'd take it even further out of reach and perhaps lose contact. Thanks again.

Hi all, newbie here and a question for you. I have a M2P and being an older bloke perhaps my eyes aren't as good as they were. I stick to the rules in australia as much as I can and have a 120m altitude limit and a 500m distance limit to ensure it is in sight. BUT... a couple of times I've been up at close to maximum altitude and lost sight of the drone. I know I can use RTH but should I choose to bring it home manually, how do I determine where it is and what is the right direction? I'm primarily a photographer and use the iPhone screen to search interesting potential images which sometimes means the drone can end up away from me in an unknown direction (still within safe ranges though).

So what tools do I use to determine the position and orientation of my drone in relation to my position. I know I'm new at this but a couple of times I've suffered minor panic attacks trying to figure out the correct way home.

Msinger said it all....but I just wanted to add a comment. I can't believe you can see ANYTHING at all on that phone screen! I'm a bit younger than you but I can't see my phone screen to save my life so I ditched that and bought a 10 inch tablet, it was one of the best purchases I made in regards to my drone.

Msinger said it all....but I just wanted to add a comment. I can't believe you can see ANYTHING at all on that phone screen! I'm a bit younger than you but I can't see my phone screen to save my life so I ditched that and bought a 10 inch tablet, it was one of the best purchases I made in regards to my drone.

I understand but it hasn't really been the size of the screen that bothered me it was more that there were things (like this subject) that I didn't understand. Unfortunately the user guide is no help at all.

Reactions: Drone_guy
I understand but it hasn't really been the size of the screen that bothered me it was more that there were things (like this subject) that I didn't understand. Unfortunately the user guide is no help at all.

There's a user guide? :p

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeShmoe