DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Losing hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very similar experience to mine today.....sudden disconnection despite the drone being fairly close.
I think that it was the first time ever that I had had this.....perhaps something in the firmware update??????
Had the wifi on the phone turned off and was in airplane mode, so I do not think that was a cause, but reading your post there are so many similarities.
I can't see much that's similar in your incident and the OP's.
It's extremely unlikely that our firmware update is at all related and the phone would not have made any difference, whether wifi and airplane mode was on or off.
Technology is great WHEN it works......
There's nothing in the OP's data to suggest that the technology failed at all.

Oops ... too late, now I see that you had found the drone.
so I pressed RTH , the controller kept beeping saying to relink relink , I kept pressing the relink and nothing, kept pressing RTH yet it just sat there hovering ,
I did not press land. again the controller is sounding alarm saying to relink...nothing.
I only see a loss of signal for half a minute at 3:53 and you got signal back.
The app was able to record the flight for another 2.5 minutes after that.
You only lost signal at the end because the drone was down in the forest.

Have you practised with RTH to know how to initiate and cancel it?
Once you have started RTH, pressing again will cancel it.
Repeated pressing isn't likely to be helpful.
Why did you not cancel the autolanding and fly back?

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I'm having a hard time matching your description to what the data shows.
You launched, flew up over 1100 feet and 4000 ft out.
You lost signal at 3:53.4 and when signal returned at 4:26.3, the drone was in RTH and 370 ft closer to home.
At 4:56.4 you cancelled the RTH and resumed control and flew back until 5:45.7 when the autolanding commenced.
Altitude was 1150 ft and the battery was at 79%.
You made no effort to cancel the autolanding and the drone descended until you lost signal at 6:35, altitude = 703 ft and distance = 2882 ft.

It looks to me like you initiated the autolanding, possibly thinking you had pressed the screen RTH button?
And let the drone land without trying to bring it back.

You can drive quite close to where the drone landed, but it's down at the bottom of a cliff in thick forest so might be hard to find.
The GPS location to search for is: 42.651316 -74.000402

i-s2QMT5n-X3.jpg

i-wR4CgmC-X2.jpg

I am glad you can see the data, what I left out was the controller massages, is there any way to see what the controller is doing or saying? because you are right I DID regain control on paper so I tried to fly it back while I was getting error messages but I was getting alarms to relink and thats why the drone sits not moving , its possible I pressed land but I am positive I pressed RTH 20 times

do you work for dji? because right now I feel you are being hostile, you where not there
But your data was and I just read the tale your data tells.
I tried to fly it back while I was getting error messages but I was getting alarms to relink and thats why the drone sits not moving , its possible I pressed land but I am positive I pressed RTH 20 times
I'm not sure what relink messages you are mentioning.
I'm not sure what they would have been.
As mentioned above, pressing RTH 20 times is not going to be helpful.
Detective bob wont see any error from the Mavic 2 its a perfect machine
The data and your confused explanation suggests a lack of experience plus disorientation.
If you can point to anything in the data that indicates any malfunction, I'd be interested to see it.
I pressed RTH , I know where the button is because I pressed it, so to say that I then pressed '' land'' makes no sense
It's quite easy to confuse the screen RTH button with the screen autoland button which is directly below.
I was looking for an explanation for the autolanding and that's all I could come up with.
If you have an alternative explanation, please share it.
bob sees just another dumb drone operator crying about his hurt drone.
What I see is a flyer who's confused and not particularly experienced getting defensive.
I'm still wondering why you did nothing to cancel the autoland and just let it go.
As I said, if you can explain what happened better, I'm all ears.
Just a tip .. try to make it match what the data shows.
I like the ignore option on here.
What was that?
Thanks for putting in the effort analysing your data to help you??
You're welcome.

Last edited:
Detective bob wont see any error from the Mavic 2 its a perfect machine , but the controller was saying many things , I pressed RTH , I know where the button is because I pressed it, so to say that I then pressed '' land'' makes no sense but bob sees just another dumb drone operator crying about his hurt drone. I like the ignore option on here.

Unfortunately @Meta4 is correct, and your recollection is incorrect. There is no ambiguity in the flight data, and the reason for both the original transition to RTH and the subsequent autolanding are recorded in the txt log file:

Note the 32 second period of connection loss starting at 233 seconds and 1230 meters from the home point. When the connection is restored the aircraft is in RTH mode, triggered by the loss of uplink, and indicated in the OSD_flightAction data as OutOfControlGoHome. 30 seconds later, at 296 seconds, you canceled RTH and returned the drone to P-GPS mode and simply let it hover with no elevator or aileron inputs. After 50 seconds of no horizontal movement - just a slight commanded climb and CCW yaw - at 346 seconds you pressed the autoland button on your mobile device, as shown by the OSD_flightAction data as AppAutoLanding. You then left it in that mode with no attempt to cancel until it descended and once again lost uplink.

You may not like the conclusion, but it was clearly multiple errors of both action and inaction on your part that caused the aircraft to behave as it did.

That was quick. I thought I got a great drone .i thought I was a decent operator that the area was safe and when lost connection all was good. How wrong I was. On Sunday I few around some foot hills in my area no issues at all 18 satalites. Yesterday I repeated the same action but I was closer to my point of interest. 200 yards closer. Flight path was and destination was less then a half mile line of site. Maybe I was to close to the mountain but I lost contact . tried to re establish link unsuccessful the drone just hovered until it decided to just land where it stopped. Why? It stopped and landed in a difficult to reach location . I tried to climb a mountain to find it feeling foolish and depressed. This is dangerous and frightening. I had great satalite link at least 15. Why not return home? Now I prepare to go back to possibly find it. I know the location roughly with the flight data. Drone is 2 weeks old and I pray its not broke or i dont die trying to get it. View attachment 76305View attachment 76306View attachment 76307

Goes to show there are two side to every drone incident.
Once side the version given, the other is the .log file.

I'm speechless @DroneMoan ... how inpolite and ignorant can someone be ...? Getting free help and analysis and being accused working for DJI. :mad:
I am very delighted that the data shows what really happened.

It's never nice to lose a drone, but you were given quite a bit of time and help here to understand what you did wrong so get your things right and don't blame others. Or is your user name part of your manners? In sincerely hope not.

Happy and safe flying anyways.

Last edited:
Strange I did not know asking someone if they worked for a reputable company was a bad thing
You are weird
Your perception of the incident was completely different of what the data shows. This has been proofed twice in this thread.
Still you are unable to memorize properly or to at least give a thank to @Meta4 for his analysis and guidance.
Asking smug questions but at the same time getting into victimhood.

Well, I guess, I'd better be weird and ignored than unable to say thank you and having some manners or willing to learn from mistakes (we all make/made and will continue to do so).
So long ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Pietros
Strange I did not know asking someone if they worked for a reputable company was a bad thing
You are weird
you are acting weird - meta4 and sar104 are people who gain absolutely nothing from providing free help to those who need it. all you prove so far is the old saying that no good deed goes unpunished.
there is no need for bad feelings here. you recollect what have happened. those guys look at the data as engineers and try to explain what they see in there. take that for what it is, and keep your emotions to yourself. nothing is perfect and technology fails. in this case, i side with meta4 100%, as data files are pretty telling, they show presence of the link and they show commands.

those guys look at the data as engineers and try to explain what they see in there.
It's always helpful to at least have a description of what the flyer saw and felt was happening.
It makes searching a huge spreadsheet full of numbers easier to know what you're looking for.
It doesn't matter much that the flyer's perception isn't always correct but that it gives enough clues to help.

Incident investigations present an interesting puzzle to solve and are educational examples for everyone.
Understanding what can go wrong helps to learn how to make sure they don't go wrong for you.

The OP has left the forum. Thank you to EVERYONE who tried to help and guide him but he decided the forum wasn't a good fit for him.

**** Thread Closed****

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato