DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Losing MMs and RTH Question...

The VPS is design to keep the Mini about 30 ~ 50 cm off the ground. If a mirror is added in the described manner. It will go up automatically if the fence is within may be 15 ~ 35 cm from the front propeller. However, what will stop the drone from continuing to fly forward and hit the fence ? Considering the short distance, it will just take a fraction of a second for collision to occur.

Yeah you're absolutely right about all that. :)

I guess there is no easy way to hack a forward Obstacle Avoidance system for our beloved Minis! I'll just fly mine all normally and enjoy it the way it is. If I wanted a drone with obstacle avoidance I would have gotten a Skydio 2 or a Mavic 2 or something. I wanted this little Mavic because its a Mini! I can takes it everywhere - and most importantly people are not intimidated when you fly near them - its like a toy. I like to always just say its a toy & I'm playing!

Its actually a good thing that the Mini doesn't have the Obstacle avoidance sensors so that we can fly in nice and tight spots, and also I feel more in control of the drone when its without obstacle avoidance.

:)

Reactions: pelagic_one
I've just tested my mini on my driveway as I've got a grass slope to test with.

I started as low as possible and just used the forwards/back control. I flew at the slope slowly and it climbed to avoid the grass and then when I came back it maintained its new altitude.
It clearly wouldn't jump over my fence and I wasn't willing to test as speed but it will avoid stuff if going slowly enough.

I think That’s not what he asked you never tried RTH....plus just watching your video it doesn’t look like a very step rise in grade

I need to find somewhere to test this properly as I dont fancy crashing into my fence. There is a park near me that has a slope similar or I suppose I could go do it on the road near my house as that goes up hill. If I just give forwards throttle it should climb.... hopefully.
You need to try RTH not manual control Plus without OA Doubt it will avoid fence

It wont avoid the fence. I can tell you that without even trying!

Well, my RTH will as I have my RTH set higher than the surroundings. It changes every new location I fly.

The RTH speed isn't stated in the user manual. I was mainly wondering if someone had noticed whether it does RTH at max speed.
According to the Mavic mini manual, RTH is at 8m/s. A little tricky to find.

Thanks! Sorry, I overlooked that. So, at 8 m/s I doubt it could manage to stay above anything but very gently sloping ground.

Yeah without knowing how quickly it reacts to surface level change it's hard to know. Next time I head to the park with the kids I'll out the prop guards on and give it a test

Bigger drones such as the M2P has a terrain follow mode that can do what the OP wants. The Mini probably has the required hardware capability ( IR and vision are there but not ultrasonic ) but for marketing reasons they don't provide such feature in the firmware.
M2 does not have terrain follow mode. That's just one of a few features that wasn't carried over from M1. Another was fixed wing mode.

I almost just made my mini fly away! ?‍♂?

I thought it would be cool to put a remote payload dropper with a small foam airplane attached to the bottom of my mini.
I went outside to test it out, did a hand launch and all of the sudden the drone went into a steady constant climb. I pulled all the way down on the stick and it just kept climbing! finally i somehow got it into land mode and it came back down. WHOLY CRAP. so the deployment servo and plane were blocking the ground sensor and making it go into climb mode!

I wonder what would have happened if i never got it to come back down. I suppose it would have climbed to 400 feet and sit there til the battery died and then land? Crazy.

Reactions: new2mavic
Clarity please....
Am I right in thinking that if I fly out around a landscape feature that is higher than the regular "obstacles" [like behind a steep hill or off around the side of the mountain, as opposed to trees and power-poles/lines] that the Mini will rise to the chosen RTH height, attempt a straight-line return and crash into said landscape feature...?
The down-facing avoidance sensor DOES NOT detect the rising landscape, right?
I know it cannot detect its approach to trees, etc, but I am not sure about the actual terrain.

No, I'm afraid it won't do that and I wouldn't advise you to think it could do it even if you were hand flying it at cruising speed. It's only going to out climb steep rising terrain at a fairly slow forward speed.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh