DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Expectation question on RTH

vtcats

Reactions
I’m not near my Mavic 3 Pro at the moment so I can’t confirm the answer to my question at the moment, but am curios to know If anyone knows.
And that is, I was flying this last weekend. I launched behind a house at the bottom of a hill. I flew up and over the top (which I’m thinking was a few hundred feet higher at least). I lost reception after going over the top. It then proceeded to do a RTH. It only took what seemed like a few seconds and I was able to see again and I cancelled and few it back.
I’m pretty sure I have it set to fly to 265 ish feet on the return to home. I don’t believe it’s set to the other option of fastest or most optimal way (I forget what that option is called). Given I was most likely much higher than 265 feet (but not too much higher than the trees at the top), isn’t the RTH supposed to “DECEND” to 265, which obviously would have caused a problem?
But I did have obstacle avoidance on, so maybe that bailed me out?
Just curios as I didn’t even think of this possible issue until a few days ago..

My understanding is that RTH will not descend a drone to the RTH altitude while en route to the home point, it will only ascend. So if your RTH is set to 250' and you lose connection at 300', the drone will simply maintain 300' for its flight to the home point and THEN descend to land.

My understanding is that RTH will not descend a drone to the RTH altitude while en route to the home point, it will only ascend. So if your RTH is set to 250' and you lose connection at 300', the drone will simply maintain 300' for its flight to the home point and THEN descend to land.
That makes sense and is helpful. I would think the opposite (taking off from a high point) and flying DOWN a hill/mtn could be more problematic if not careful. Although I’m less likely to lose signal flying down….

The user manual for the Mavic 3 Pro should have all the details about RTH actions which depend on various factors, not just RTH altitude. Distance from home has an impact also.

Reactions: tribar
The user manual for the Mavic 3 Pro should have all the details about RTH actions which depend on various factors, not just RTH altitude. Distance from home has an impact also.
Yes I do, but not cover to cover and I notice they change per drone and per software update. Forums are always my first or second line of info and I can then decide if I need to go further into investigation. But I guess it’s easier to say read the manual….🫤.

Regarding RTH behaviour and the RTH section of the manual. I would read that section, forwards, backwards, upside-down and in mirror image, simply because DJI do change things so much.
For sure

The Air 2s user manual has 3 pages of RTH details. For myself I made a summary card to keep with my Air 2s in case I have questions when I fly it.

So, reading and learning details about the RTH actions in your your Mavic 3 Pro user manual should be the first place you look for answers. Distance details and actions will likely be different than for the Air 2s. Creating your own summary chart would likely help you remember details.

Attachments

• RTH summary.jpg
    RTH summary.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 22
Good (and helpful) idea and points out even more of the reason I like to hear from people on the forum.

That makes sense and is helpful. I would think the opposite (taking off from a high point) and flying DOWN a hill/mtn could be more problematic if not careful. Although I’m less likely to lose signal flying down….
No ... that's not more of a problem at all.
You should know that all heights, including RTH height are relative to your launch point.
You might do well to do some revision of drone basics.

My gosh. Sorry to be so beginner for you two. It was just a quick thought while traveling. You really need to get a life as well.

My gosh. Sorry to be so beginner for you two. It was just a quick thought while traveling. You really need to get a life as well.
No need to get huffy. The manual really is the best place for this type of information.

There’s a very simple test of your individual drone. (I’m skeptical about whatever I read here on in a manual, always figuring that I have the anomaly to the “rules.”)

In an open field with clear line of site for a hundred yards or so, set the return to home height to an altitude clearly over any surrounding obstructions. (You can check that by setting the gimbal to zero and having a look around.)

Then fly your drone to a height over your r.t.h. height and fly to a distance where the drone, still in easy line of sight, will be returning.

When you initiate r.t.h. you can observe what your drone does: return at its current altitude to home and land or descend to your preset r.t.h. altitude before returning.

I don’t trust that my drone has read the manual and remembered what it’s supposed to do. I test it on every maneuver I can to make sure it and I are on the same page.

I think it’s a good strategy to remember that I’m also doing some good old redundant training of myself.

When you initiate r.t.h. you can observe what your drone does: return at its current altitude to home and land or descend to your preset r.t.h. altitude before returning.
Testing of every RTH scenario that you can imagine in practice sessions is IMO a VERY good idea.
BUT as far as I know no DJI drone will descend to RTH height, where a height change is part of the start of the RTH they only climb to RTH height. If the RTH process starts above RTH height then they start moving towards home at that height. One or more models may descend during the flight home but I can't remember which.

I’m not near my Mavic 3 Pro at the moment so I can’t confirm the answer to my question at the moment, but am curios to know If anyone knows.
And that is, I was flying this last weekend. I launched behind a house at the bottom of a hill. I flew up and over the top (which I’m thinking was a few hundred feet higher at least). I lost reception after going over the top. It then proceeded to do a RTH. It only took what seemed like a few seconds and I was able to see again and I cancelled and few it back.
I’m pretty sure I have it set to fly to 265 ish feet on the return to home. I don’t believe it’s set to the other option of fastest or most optimal way (I forget what that option is called). Given I was most likely much higher than 265 feet (but not too much higher than the trees at the top), isn’t the RTH supposed to “DECEND” to 265, which obviously would have caused a problem?
But I did have obstacle avoidance on, so maybe that bailed me out?
Just curios as I didn’t even think of this possible issue until a few days ago..
Not if it’s higher than your set RTH it will just return at it’s current altitude.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Although not a direct answer to your question but just a word of caution…if you’re flying under a canopy of trees or power lines, you don’t want the action set for return to home for obvious reasons. Trees and power lines are nasty things that will reach out and grab your drone. Best wishes.

Last edited:
RTFM first is ALWAYS the best option. That is where most questions are answered.
right, why even have this forum.

Well, for one thing, the forum isn't dedicated solely to helping drone owners avoid reading the manual.

If you don't see value beyond a drone manual lookup service, perhaps you're not a good match.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas