DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Losing signal because of trees.

Ranmanjc

Reactions
I have a mavic pro and I've tried to drop in a clearing about 300 yards away. When I get just below tree top level I start losing signal. Is there a way to improve this so I can get lower?

Really tall ant., And amp your signal.

Sounds like a mod. Has anybody used a good aftermarket antenna booster that really works?
Several are available. I use alienware’s. But note that while signal goes farther the width of the broadcast from your controller may be narrowed. One question; could you actually visualize the landing spot you mentioned, LOS not drone camera?

Several are available. I use alienware’s. But note that while signal goes farther the width of the broadcast from your controller may be narrowed. One question; could you actually visualize the landing spot you mentioned, LOS not drone camera?
I do not have LOS at this sight. Too many trees.

That's what i mean by tall ant., I'm putting a 20 ft on my roof. I live in country and fly from field to field checking deer I too need to get lower past tree lines.

For me I think the zoom would help me in this situation.

I have a mavic pro and I've tried to drop in a clearing about 300 yards away. When I get just below tree top level I start losing signal. Is there a way to improve this so I can get lower?
Wait 'till summer! ... No seriously, the trees may be wet and will be blocking the RF signal. This even happens with powerful microwave links. The water on the branches, needles, bark etc. will attenuate RF signals like crazy. If you try the same manouvre in the middle of summer when everything is dry as a bone, it will be like there is nothing between you and the drone.
Directional antenna's may help a bit, but in the telecommunications world, this problem is usually solved with a chain-saw!

You could modify your controller to accept panel/ omni antennas. I did this and have noticed an increased range. The new threaded adapters in the antenna ports give you more options.

You are losing signal because the water in the trees attenuates the signal.
A few leaves doesn't make much difference but when there's too much between you and the drone, it's all over.
That's physics and you can't fight it.

You are losing signal because the water in the trees attenuates the signal.
A few leaves doesn't make much difference but when there's too much between you and the drone, it's all over.
That's physics and you can't fight it.
I'm just thinking about fighting it. Looking for a better way. Obviously I can fly for miles if I'm high enough. But I want to get down there.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore