DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Losing signal because of trees.

Microwaves...how do they work? Same principles as your wifi. You put any type of barrier between your transmitter and the receiver, you will either block or distort the signal. There isnt any amount of height, power, and feequency that will change that, it is 7th grade physics. Cheers

If you are in the norther hemisphere, the trees are probably leafless. If you think you have signal loss now, wait until you have leaves

I use the MaxMod on my MP. I haven't had any issues thus far with a weak signal. I can't tell you anymore than that. I think I paid $350 for the modification which included 3 different antennas. I don't know if I just got in a hurry and did this, at the time they had $100 off so I jumped on it. Knock on wood....it been great! Now, for some reason I can't seem to get on Drone Worlds site. Not sure what is going on. Anyway you look at it. I DO have connectors on my RC now should I need another system. Can anyone else share their experiences with the MaxMod antennas?

They kind'a rely on the elevation of the drone to make this all work, so if it's not elevated, then YOU (the controller) will have to be. If you can get the Booster or at least it's antennas up 20 or 30 feet high to dig the signal out, that's about all you can do. The backhaul signal strength FROM the drone is fixed. Pre-amping (part of the boosters job I'm guessing) the received backhaul at the controller won't help if there is too little there to pre-amp. Antenna height is everything to reception.

I use the MaxMod on my MP. I haven't had any issues thus far with a weak signal. I can't tell you anymore than that. I think I paid $350 for the modification which included 3 different antennas. I don't know if I just got in a hurry and did this, at the time they had $100 off so I jumped on it. Knock on wood....it been great! Now, for some reason I can't seem to get on Drone Worlds site. Not sure what is going on. Anyway you look at it. I DO have connectors on my RC now should I need another system. Can anyone else share their experiences with the MaxMod antennas?
Drone World closed its doors. I have one controller with the Max Mod and feel it helps a bit but nothing like my Atlas setup I have on another controller. If I were to do it all over I'd probably just stay with the stock DJI controller rather than the Max Mod antennas however I've never tired their directional antenna. The Titan Atlas is omni directional but they can convert any controller to accept their antennas without having to use/purchase a booster. This way you can connect to cables specific to your antenna height but no matter what, dropping into thick cover a long distance from the launch point takes a toll on signal strength.

I have a mavic pro and I've tried to drop in a clearing about 300 yards away. When I get just below tree top level I start losing signal. Is there a way to improve this so I can get lower?
Chainsaw and cut the trees down i know. But someone was going to say it lol

Make sure you are using 2.45GHz and not 5GHz, the loss at 5GHz for is around 4x as much through vegetation.

Directional antennas might help, but will not solve the problem. Also be aware that your GPS might loose track and the drone could loose some of its positional stability. You don't want to drift in to a tree.

I occasionally see vehicles equipped with really tall whip antennas, either first-responders or amateur radio operators--often with their call numbers on the license plates. The discussion above has me wondering:
A) would something similar be useful when flying from your parked car? I usually launch within a few yards of my vehicle, and like to stand in its shadow when I flying, for screen visibility.
B) if so, is anyone actually using a vehicle-mounted amplified antenna? Does it help much?
C) is there a turnkey product for this, or is it necessarily roll-your-own?

This is a major problem if you are in a tropical region with tropical rainforest. It's no wonder there are next to no videos of anyone flying over the canopy for 1-2 kilometers. The ones that succeed usually were located on a high spot....or out in the open with human-constructed developments (roads/open areas, etc), and they didn't fly far.....

And that is a pity, because the canopy of the rainforest is a lot more beautiful than anything the vast majority of people who post in this forum encounter (considering most of you are in temperate regions), especially if there is blooming from different species of trees. And there are numerous species of trees in the tropics. All different types.

And those trees are TALL.....:D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3