DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Connection - Drone In Lake

If/when a drone loses signal, it doesn't fall from the sky.
It initiates the Failsafe Action, which is by default to RTH.

If a drone falls from the sky, it's usually because there has been a total loss of power and when the power is lost, you see a message that says the drone is disconnected.
Or if hovering is set as default for lost connection, running out of power will lead to the same.
Not judging here, I've lost connection to the drone myself a short time ago but always set it to RTH. However, even after I could easily see it, the re-binding did never work again and the drone landed automatically.

On ground, a restart fixed it, but that was a very frightening experience.

So, if something similiar happened here with the wrong settings, I am pretty sure, that may have caused the drone to fall out from the sky at some point without power.

So, if something similiar happened here with the wrong settings, I am pretty sure, that may have caused the drone to fall out from the sky at some point without power.
If you have no signal, and the drone is low on battery, by default at about 10% or lower, it will start to land, so unless the drone was over water at that time, you could check the last recorded position of the drone in the fly app, walk to there, and the drone should be on the ground at that location.

Unless something is very wrong with the battery, nothing should make the drone fall from the sky by running out of battery, well, unless you hold the stick up while it is landing, then at some point it probably will fall...

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
No it wouldn't.
The Failsafe Action is set to RTH by default.
That's the way it comes from the factory and what it resets to every firmware update.
Almost no-one ever changes it from the default.
But if the owner really wants to find out what happened, he should post the recorded flight data.
That will confirm what the Failsafe Action was set to.

But even with it set to Hover, the drone won't hover until the battery runs out as described in the previous post.

@Yaros @Meta4
You are right, I got confused with another thread with fog, where the drone might think it is already landing/landed and stop the motors.

So therefore, descending into the water yes, without any major problem not falling from the sky certainly.

@ratoto
Can you be sure that you did not accidentally CSC for emergency propeller stop?
1669709263725.png

Can you be sure that you did not accidentally CSC for emergency propeller stop?
That's another unlikely scenario.
The CSC stick position was chosen because it isn't ever going to happen in normal flight.
Such cases are extremely rare.
And if it did happen, it would be immediately clear in the recorded flight data (that hasn't been posted).

the drone might think it is already landing/landed and stop the motors.
I always thought that the drone needs to sense with the motors that the thrust applied isn't needed anymore for the motors to stop, isn't that right?

The CSC stick position was chosen because it isn't ever going to happen in normal flight.
Such cases are extremely rare.
Indeed they are rare, however at least for me, with the right yaw settings, it's pretty common to be very close to the CSC position when in Cine/Tripod mode.

And again, in most cases, even by default, CSC will not trigger unless an emergency occurs according to DJI, unless changed in safety settings in DJI Fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580