DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost connection mid-flight

Tonewheel

Reactions
Still new at this (several weeks).

Today, I used my collapsible reflector as a launch/landing pad as we have snow. No problems on start-up. Launched on a beautiful sunny day. No wind. Sent it out about 800 feet, height 70 feet.

My iPhone alerted me to a Ring doorbell motion detection, the alert blocking part of the upper screen. So I let the Mavic hover, leaving the app running, addressed the Ring alert, and when i came back to the program, I was now disconnected. Nothing I could do re-established the connection.

For the first time ever, I hit the RTH button. Absolutely flawless landing, dead center on the reflector (black side up). For this one feature alone, I am grateful to DJI.

I write this as a warning and as a question. Any other users experience this? I may have missed something in the instructions about making certain that no other programs can intervene to the point of losing a connection.

Appreciate any comments, snide remarks (as long as constructive).....

Thanks. Obvious (airplane mode). I did unplug and plug back in to no avail, so the other possible factor may be the cold weather. I have an iPhone 6S, which has to come out of its insulating case to fit in the controller. The iPhone's battery level was at 40% when I attached the controller in the warmth. After 5 minutes in the cold, and after the RTH, the level had dropped to 10%, and the phone screen responses were sluggish at best. Wonder if there was a bit if early crystallization in the battery, and the phone responded to that. Maybe the new iphone glass backs will be less conductive of heat/cold.

I have noticed this issue too - if any other app gets active, DJI will disconnect - So remember to switch "Do not disturb" mode on - For this reason, I have a iPad mini - which is dedicated to flying and set all notifications to off.

Good advice. Thanks. Tried it again later and it worked fine. There are old pilots and there are ADHD pilots. But there are no old ADHD pilots.

Can't forget: the mem card (pushed ALL the way in), unclipping the gimbal, airplane mode, charged Mavic battery, the mini USB plugged in after charging the controller, and shave if you're going to be in the shots...

I close the go app mid flight to use hanger and other flight apps and it alway reconnects when I open dji go again. The app does not need to be running to fly with the remote.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying