DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

lost Connection RTH setting can't be over ridden?

icesailr

Reactions
If you fly set to “hover” if lost connnection", is there a way to reconnect if
it loses connection long enough to go into that mode? I had it do that, and
was unable to reconnect when I was in view of the drone.

seems strange that it was in visual sight but no connection..
I would have thought that lost connection then hover ...after 11secs RTH should have been initiated...or at worse case when lo battery

If you have lost connection, NO, you are up the creek without a paddle..
You need to regain connection to do anything at all.
In a failsafe hover situation that would generally mean you must move closer to the drone or to a better postiton.
One danger is that whilst hovering the drone is at the mercy of any wind and its battery, if the wind is strong enough it will not be able to hover/hold-position and will be blown away.
In the circumstance you describe I suppose you could always, if feasible, move to underneath it and wait out the battery

In a failsafe hover situation that would generally mean you must move closer to the drone or to a better postiton.
One danger is that whilst hovering the drone is at the mercy of any wind and its battery, if the wind is strong enough it will not be able to hover/hold-position and will be blown away.
In the circumstance you describe I suppose you could always, if feasible, move to underneath it and wait out the battery
I was "over the ocean" without a paddle.

Ah well, at least I got the presence of water correct lol.
Where you on a boat or near a built up area with loads of inference coming from it. Here I easily reach the limit of my VLOS over the sea.

Ah well, at least I got the presence of water correct lol.
Where you on a boat or near a built up area with loads of inference coming from it. Here I easily reach the limit of my VLOS over the sea.
Other than not realizing that I did not have it set to RTH if lost contact, the drone had ended up around the corner of some big buildings as
I walked along to the beach. I was discussing the drone flight with my 3 year old grandaughter and not paying attention to the initial Lost Connection
message, thinking all would be OK, as I've flown the same path many time.

Um are you sure about that??
I would like to see the logic chart as I thought that lo battery would trigger rth as a pure safety factor...
But more pressing is why in LOS did it lose signal... did you press the rth button to pause flight?

I would like to see the logic chart as I thought that lo battery would trigger rth as a pure safety factor...
But more pressing is why in LOS did it lose signal... did you press the rth button to pause flight?
I'm sure of what I did that led to the loss of signal and I believe that it was set to hover. After that, it was a blur
and I did not stay calm. I have the files from my phone, and looked a bit at them, but am no expert.
I would value your work to help me understand this flight and avoid similar very much.
1597102173089.png

I'm sure of what I did that led to the loss of signal and I believe that it was set to hover. After that, it was a blur
and I did not stay calm. I have the files from my phone, and looked a bit at them, but am no expert.
I would value your work to help me understand this flight and avoid similar very much.
View attachment 110193
When I finally paid attention to the Lost Connection alarm, I went around the buildings but got no connection. I then pressed the RTH button and it beeped, but no luck. I never regained connection.

Um are you sure about that?
Yes.
I do however see your point, if you know me to be wrong please cite your source/s as I could otherwise be making decisions based on incorrect thinking. I feel an experiment coming on.

I have the files from my phone, and looked a bit at them, but am no expert
At a guess you have uploaded the txt file to phantomhelpd logviewer, if so can you post the address/URL of the output page please>

Last edited by a moderator:

Dug around a bit regarding this but couldn't find any info regarding the DJI FLY app ... but could find a DJI guide that explain how it's supposed to work in the DJI GO4 app.

1597128754350.png

The TXT log is recording when the motors is on & the RC with a mobile device is connected to the AC. So if the connection is lost & not resumed the log ends ... in your case about 19-20m above the sea.

Not much is found in the log that definitely can clear up exactly what happened & why you couldn't re-connect.

As seen in below chart the failsafe action was set to LAND ... not hover. The flight started up in P-mode (Green background) out to the beach, then Tripod mode (C-mode) (Blue background) for the rest of the flight. The red graph show intermittent connection difficulties (so does the event-log further down). The battery (blue graph) was down to 41% when the log ended & the so called goHomeBattery threshold level (Light blue graph) was then 23%.

1597129141961.png

In the end of the recorded log above the sea (the green bar is the direction the AC was pointing)

1597130191865.png

... the event-log was filled with messages about bad connection ... in fact it had been filled with these since 106sec into the flight.

1597130298778.png

In the end the log doesn't give us enough info to pinpoint exactly what happened ... can't read out from you if the AC landed in the sea then & there when the log ended or if it just hovered until the battery got depleted. If it was the later perhaps the VPS sensor didn't thought that the sea surface looked like a good landing spot due to the landing protection & it stayed hovering until battery was empty & landed then. The problem with not being able to re-connect even though the AC was in plain sight are seen from other pilot from time to time ... I would rank that as a sw issue as a restart of the RC or both RC & AC usually make it connect again.

Perhaps the mobile device DAT log can give us something more to go on ... the correct DAT log have FLY045.DAT in the end.

Dug around a bit regarding this but couldn't find any info regarding the DJI FLY app ... but could find a DJI guide that explain how it's supposed to work in the DJI GO4 app.

View attachment 110239

The TXT log is recording when the motors is on & the RC with a mobile device is connected to the AC. So if the connection is lost & not resumed the log ends ... in your case about 19-20m above the sea.

Not much is found in the log that definitely can clear up exactly what happened & why you couldn't re-connect.

As seen in below chart the failsafe action was set to LAND ... not hover. The flight started up in P-mode (Green background) out to the beach, then Tripod mode (C-mode) (Blue background) for the rest of the flight. The red graph show intermittent connection difficulties (so does the event-log further down). The battery (blue graph) was down to 41% when the log ended & the so called goHomeBattery threshold level (Light blue graph) was then 23%.

View attachment 110241

In the end of the recorded log above the sea (the green bar is the direction the AC was pointing)

View attachment 110243

... the event-log was filled with messages about bad connection ... in fact it had been filled with these since 106sec into the flight.

View attachment 110244

In the end the log doesn't give us enough info to pinpoint exactly what happened ... can't read out from you if the AC landed in the sea then & there when the log ended or if it just hovered until the battery got depleted. If it was the later perhaps the VPS sensor didn't thought that the sea surface looked like a good landing spot due to the landing protection & it stayed hovering until battery was empty & landed then. The problem with not being able to re-connect even though the AC was in plain sight are seen from other pilot from time to time ... I would rank that as a sw issue as a restart of the RC or both RC & AC usually make it connect again.

Perhaps the mobile device DAT log can give us something more to go on ... the correct DAT log have FLY045.DAT in the end.
Thank you So much for your time and effort to help me understand for the future. In particular, that you found that the fail-safe was set to LAND. I was pretty sure I made the mistake of setting it to HOVER, but my Fat fingers must have landed on the Really wrong button. If it had been on Hover, maybe i'd still have the drone.
When I saw that the battery was at 40% when I lost connection, I was confused as to why I couldn't find it hovering at the time...now I know that at least.
Yes, I did have many Bad Connection messages, but they've always been just an annoyance that I would pay attention to and consider if flight height, trees, house's or whatever might be causing them and adjust myself as needed. I was way too inattentive with this flight. I will look for that .dat file, but I'm afraid it may be deleted from phone and not stored in icloud. Checking how to find Fly folder on iphone.

• Sad
Reactions: TreeHugger and slup
WELL ******** me.
With the Mavic Mini & Fly app.
Failsafe response set to hover, drone outside the 20m from the homepoint ring and the controller switched off with the battery at about 30%, lovely rock solid hover at eye level, quite seriously I doubt there was more than 2" of movement.
Twiddling my thumbs waiting for the battery to drain and..........BOOM.........up it goes and back to the home point. I did this with three separate batteries and it RTH'd with each one once the battery threshold was reached.

I very much stand corrected. GOOD CALL Juggler. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Juggler

View attachment 110239

View attachment 110241

View attachment 110243

View attachment 110244

Are the attached .csv files the DAT file you mention, but they have been converted to .csv. ? I could not find any .dat files.

Attachments

• CSVfiles.zip
    714.6 KB · Views: 3
WELL ******** me.
With the Mavic Mini & Fly app.
Failsafe response set to hover, drone outside the 20m from the homepoint ring and the controller switched off with the battery at about 30%, lovely rock solid hover at eye level, quite seriously I doubt there was more than 2" of movement.
Twiddling my thumbs waiting for the battery to drain and..........BOOM.........up it goes and back to the home point. I did this with three separate batteries and it RTH'd with each one once the battery threshold was reached.

I very much stand corrected. GOOD CALL Juggler. Thank you
So that was one more nail in my boat/coffin. I thought I had it mistakenly set on Hover, but "slup" says it was sent on Land. So many points at which I could have been saved.

If you take anything from my post above, it should be that we all make mistakes and I made a real beauty, it is by no means limited to you.
I would have sworn blind ( and did) that fail safe hover would continue until the battery died.

Can I ask what drone was/is it? I see mention of Mavic but not a precise model.
With regards to the DAT files on the phone, if they exist they are likely to be in a folder named MCDatFlightRecords which is in or should probably be in the folder where you presumably found the txt flight logs

If you take anything from my post above, it should be that we all make mistakes and I made a real beauty, it is by no means limited to you.
I would have sworn blind ( and did) that fail safe hover would continue until the battery died.

Can I ask what drone was/is it? I see mention of Mavic but not a precise model.
With regards to the DAT files on the phone, if they exist they are likely to be in a folder named MCDatFlightRecords which is in or should probably be in the folder where you presumably found the txt flight logs
Having had a lot to do with aircraft logic over 40+ years especially now in the digital age and the meaning of fail safe. If set to hover and loss of rc then when battery depleted it could be dangerous and cause trouble if it were to land where it began hovering. If it were to rth even if over water it would just get wet.
On the MA2 the book is non commital to what actually happens

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998