DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost drone

In the future always make sure you have at least 13 GPS locks, and that it’s in GPS mode. I usually let it sit for about 10 seconds before I take off...but sometimes it takes a little longer. In ATTI mode it’s pure manually and won’t maintain position like it should.

Sorry for your loss. From the stick inputs and the direction of flight it seems the AC was pointed about 75 degrees (away from the house) at launch. Is this correct? The log shows about 160 degrees at launch. A compromised Yaw at launch is would almost certainly be caused by a geomagnetically distorted launch site, e.g. rebar in concrete, metal table top, etc.

Last edited:
I am sorry for your loss.

In the future, whether you are able to get your drone back or a replacement from DJI, I recommend to practice flying in Atti mode.

A few years ago my first couple of drones did not have GPS, I had an on board camera with a whoapping 1MB resolution, and an incredible video resolution of 480 P, the battery only lasted 8 minutes. I had to setup a timer in my pocket every time I flew the drone, to land the drone before the battery ran out. Otherwise it just would drop from the sky with a dead battery. Every time I flew those things they could easily drift to the wind, I remember spending countless hours at my local park trying to keep them steady, fighting the wind.
That lack of GPS back then has paid off in the present, I was in your situation couple of times but was able to bring the drone back safely.

Good luck, I hope you either find your drone or get a replacement from DJI.

Reactions: Ozman
I am sorry for your loss.

In the future, whether you are able to get your drone back or a replacement from DJI, I recommend to practice flying in Atti mode.

A few years ago my first couple of drones did not have GPS, I had an on board camera with a whoapping 1MB resolution, and an incredible video resolution of 480 P, the battery only lasted 8 minutes. I had to setup a timer in my pocket every time I flew the drone, to land the drone before the battery ran out. Otherwise it just would drop from the sky with a dead battery. Every time I flew those things they could easily drift to the wind, I remember spending countless hours at my local park trying to keep them steady, fighting the wind.
That lack of GPS back then has paid off in the present, I was in your situation couple of times but was able to bring the drone back safely.

Good luck, I hope you either find your drone or get a replacement from DJI.
only problem with flying in atti mode,you dont get to pick when you can fly atti.

Reactions: Callum and beinhart
only problem with flying in atti mode,you dont get to pick when you can fly atti.
And personally I feel Mavics atti mode does not handle as I would have expected from other quads.

I have the ability to fly the Inspire 2 or the P4Pro in Atti mode by flipping a switch in the RC, unfortunately not the case in the Mavic.

#Sar104 what is your interpretation of the logs?

In regard to where it went, then that is in post #19. If you mean in terms of what caused it to drop out of P-GPS into ATTI - I haven't looked in detail but @BudWalker's explanation is most likely. Unfortunately the OP made no attempt to control the aircraft in the final 3 minutes of the recorded flight. From the drift data in ATTI mode, the wind appeared to be gusting to 10 or 12 mph, so not very strong. It would not have been difficult to fly the aircraft back in ATTI mode.

Reactions: Simmo
I have the ability to fly the Inspire 2 or the P4Pro in Atti mode by flipping a switch in the RC, unfortunately not the case in the Mavic.
being this is a mavic board,then this would confuse some people...

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotelone
In regard to where it went, then that is in post #19. If you mean in terms of what caused it to drop out of P-GPS into ATTI - I haven't looked in detail but @BudWalker's explanation is most likely. Unfortunately the OP made no attempt to control the aircraft in the final 3 minutes of the recorded flight. From the drift data in ATTI mode, the wind appeared to be gusting to 10 or 12 mph, so not very strong. It would not have been difficult to fly the aircraft back in ATTI mode.
The remote told me it was disconnected.

The remote told me it was disconnected.

The log data shows that the RC lost downlink at 742 s, but you had not attempted any stick inputs since 497 s apart from a couple of very brief full-down throttle inputs around 570 s, both lasting only 0.8 s. I can't make much sense of your stick inputs anyway - they look very random and jerky and your throttle input, especially, seemed to be almost completely binary. I don't think that's an optimal flying style.

DJIFlightRecord_2017-12-27_[10-50-49]_02.png

Reactions: mhoffman54
Yeah, I'm completely new to drones. I thought going straight up, panning, and coming back down was going to be simple.

Reactions: Path Finder
Yeah, I'm completely new to drones. I thought going straight up, panning, and coming back down was going to be simple.
The first time I sent my drone up about 100 feet, my heart almost stopped. I just knew it was going to fly away never come back. So then I just flew around my backyard 4 feet off the ground till I got a little more comfortable with the controls. I am still a little scared when I send it on long missions, but look at your map next time you get a chance to fly, there is a green line leading back to the home point, point your aircraft on that, and bring it home.

I just ordered another one. This one I'll never take out of beginner mode.
Man, dont beat yourself up about it! **** happens and you were in it!!! Learn from this and move on and learn more as you go!
You are in a good forum of people, and no doubt most, more experienced operators would like to say ...."DOH!", they dont, and let you move on through your grief!
I'm a Mavic newbie too and RTFM! is permanently tattooed in the back of my brain!

Unfortunately the OP is one of the many thousands of victims of DJI's policy to position their consumer drones as perfect beginner flying camera (they rather call it a camera than a drone). Nobody should have to be a pilot according to DJI. They even renamed their PILOT App to GO, because they wanted the public to think it it just pushing a button and GO! Even the Spark is not a real beginner drone. Way too much enforced autonomy to be able to learn the principles of drone piloting. Even for an experienced RC pilot a manual drone is something different to get used to. I lost my first manual drone on the second flight exactly the same way, I just didn't know what it would do with high winds. After flying RC collective pitch heli's for years.

The OP couldn't know beforehand how a Mavic would react when it would switch itself to Atti, there's simply no way to try it on a Mavic, (not even in the simulator!) which is fine for an experienced pilot, but for a beginner it is a moment of total terror when it happens. Even if you read the manual you can't learn to fly Atti with a Mavic (or Spark).

DJI marketing is totally responsible in my opinion for the many first time user disasters.

To all new upcoming pilots: I would strongly suggest to get a cheap no-GPS drone (big enough to fly outside, cost about up to 50$) and practice manual VLOS flying in a safe unobstructed area, before flying anything as sophisticated and capable as a Mavic.

OP, I really hope you will get your drone back in one piece or at least a replacement from DJI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming