DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost drone

Quickbrit

Reactions
Dived bombed by a seagull and knocked out of the sky...

The flight logs show where it crash landed and obviously gives me a GPS co-ordinate. I’ve tried pinpointing that GPS location with my phone but couldn’t find it. I suspect it’s lodged in a tree.

Ironically, I was around the location just a few minutes after it happened - if I could have got the drone to ping, I could have located it by sound, even if I couldn’t see it.

My question is how accurate is the GPS on the drone, and can anyone suggest a better GPS tracker than an iPhone 8 (as that’s all over the place).

I am so close, but I just can’t see it.

TIA.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds

The flight logs show where it crash landed and obviously gives me a GPS co-ordinate. I’ve tried pinpointing that GPS location with my phone but couldn’t find it. I suspect it’s lodged in a tree.

Ironically, I was around the location just a few minutes after it happened - if I could have got the drone to ping, I could have located it by sound, even if I couldn’t see it.

My question is how accurate is the GPS on the drone, and can anyone suggest a better GPS tracker than an iPhone 8 (as that’s all over the place).

TIA.
Whereabouts in uk are you?

Twice I’ve found my Mavic with Go4 app based on last location and both times the app was very very accurate (3-4 feet).. I used the phone app as I could line up the dot representing where I was with the dot where the drone was last seen. Regardless it took time to find because once the MP was in dense brush (color of MP blended amongst branches) and once it sank in river requiring scuba gear (scroll down on post and you can see screen shot from app of dots representing me and last location on river).

Good luck.

Last edited:
When mine crashed into a tree not only were the GPS coordinates accurate but so was the altitude (50 feet up). :D

Whereabouts in uk are you?

I’m in Torquay - the app is showing 0.3 feet, but I took off from a second floor balcony.

On my iPhone the exact coordinate is shown, but the blue dot (me) moves around erratically if I take a few steps towards or away from it.

It’s very frustrating as I’m obviously very close...

The colour of the drone probably doesn’t help - what we need is reflective tape on a few sides of the drone, going back at night with a flashlight, I suspect it would light up like a Christmas tree.

You can get Mavic to sound a two tone pitch via its ESCs and turn on the front LEDs at same time.
When on the find my drone page in GO4 tap on the small drone icon and a square/rectangle will open allowing you to sctive the Mavics ESCs to beep.
This is provided the battery is still intact and RC is still connected.

You can get Mavic to sound a two tone pitch via its ESCs and turn on the front LEDs at same time.
When on the find my drone page in GO4 tap on the small drone icon and a square/rectangle will open allowing you to sctive the Mavics ESCs to beep.
This is provided the battery is still intact and RC is still connected.
Never knew that, thanks!

I’m in Torquay - the app is showing 0.3 feet, but I took off from a second floor balcony.

On my iPhone the exact coordinate is shown, but the blue dot (me) moves around erratically if I take a few steps towards or away from it...
The height value starts at zero at your home point (your balcony) so it should be at the same height as your balcony. If the coordinates shown are lower than your balcony then it might be stuck up in a tree.

Keep looking . I spent about 3 hours under one tree staring upwards. It was dark so everything was black / silhouetted.
I finally spotted a propellor - as wasn’t the same shape as the leaves .
Can be needle in a haystack stuff in bad light.

Sorry to hear this.

What would happen if someone was to have moved it? Would it update or only do that one it was next turned on?

Keep looking . I spent about 3 hours under one tree staring upwards. It was dark so everything was black / silhouetted.
I finally spotted a propellor - as wasn’t the same shape as the leaves .
Can be needle in a haystack stuff in bad light.

If your phone gps is all over the place maybe the drone gps was too, your phone gps should be very accurate so maybe there is a disturbance in the signal.

TIA.
Did you manage to find your drone,i live in paignton if you need any help give me a shout....**** seagulls nearly got my mavic a few times.

Just learned that the app tracking ist fairly accurate. Mine is currently stuck 28m up on a tree. Operator error.
Hope it does not rain until Monday.

Still wish one could trigger a beep separate from the main battery.
The main battery drains fairly fast and a beep in a delayed recovery would be mighty helpful for the person going up with the cherrypicker.

Reactions: Rodcast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR