DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost in the ocean

valbox

Reactions
I lost my Mavic pro in the ocean of of Hunting Island State Park near the lighthouse. The sun was bright so I was having difficulty seeing the screen to adjust the camera and after just 3 minutes I turned it back to shore to bring it back when it suddenly dropped in the ocean.
I informed the shrimpers and hoped they would drag in so I can collect insurance.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
Sorry for your loss. What a bummer

Hard lesson flying over the sea.
Maybe post your flight log for some input ?

I informed the shrimpers and hoped they would drag in so I can collect insurance.

Care Refresh ?
If State Farm, you usually don't need the 'body' to make a claim ?

Oh wow, man, that really sucks. Feeling sorry for you.
If you're not sure what happened or would like the experts here to analyze your flight logs, please post them here from your mobile device to try and determine what happened and what can be learned from your mishap.

Yikes. Sorry to hear that. I fly my MA off the cliffs in Huntington Beach and out over the ocean. My drone dropping out of the air and into ocean is my worst nightmare.
I hear ya man, I'm doing exackly the same thing here in Nova Scotia. I avoid civilization and fly over wet areas, salt marshes and open ocean. I wouldn't even bother to go looking.

Sorry for your loss, I have lost one Mavic since I've been flying drones (9 years) into the water as well... flying sideways up a river and clipped a tree branch - it was recovered almost 8 months later by a passer by.

At least it was not a $25,000 FLIR equipped DJI Matrice 2 ... second flight... into the ocean (not me, but observed by my brother) :-(

I lost my Mavic pro in the ocean of of Hunting Island State Park near the lighthouse. The sun was bright so I was having difficulty seeing the screen to adjust the camera and after just 3 minutes I turned it back to shore to bring it back when it suddenly dropped in the ocean.
I would like to know what happened too

My thinking is you hit the lighthouse in the turn around, its very difficult to judge with the controller let alone the sun, is that possible.

Next would be a bird strike followed by blocked motors.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

It won't help yopu now but maybe if there is a next time...
When ever I fly over large bodies of water, I mount my getterbacks, they work....

When flying over the ocean I do have on my MP2 zoom: the Arc 2 strombo, the Marco Polo tracker as well as the (orange fluo) floaty foam balls just in case. I read somewhere that those "getterbacks" are good, but were build for low deep water though (lake...etc) and will not work for deep ocean. So trying to make mine float in case something goes wrong and I have to recover it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569