DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost link to phone, tried to fly with controller only

netfolks2000

Reactions
I was recently flying to another pasture in my rural area, about 2000 feet away when I suddenly lost the link with my phone. My controller was still managing the Mavic. I could have just pushed RTH but I decided to try to fly the drone back using the distance reading. If it went down I would know I was getting closer and could just land when it was overhead. That worked a while but then the distance lessening slowed and started increasing. I knew then that I was probably flying at an angle and passed the direct route to home. So I decided to just play it save and pushed RTH. It came right home but not before flying right over my neighbor's house. Before I called him he called me and said he didn't appreciate it, to which I apologized. We're OK. I explained it is my habit to never fly over anyone's home, that my drone was lost. I've downloaded what I think is my flight log info but don't know what to do with it or how to analyze it. What I'd like to find out is what exactly the drone did as signal to the phone was lost and where it flew. I see a before and after flight on my phone but, of course, it does not include that interlude. What I've acquired from the drone are a series of files with titles like "cp-assert.log, a bunch of dl-01 thru dl-019 files, and this one, fatal.log. Are these the flight log files? Where do I upload them to view them? Thanks.

Always a good idea to set you RTH altitude really high, that way you're less likely to run into issues when having to use it to fly home. At 300ft it can't be heard from the ground, so no-one will notice it.

Reactions: Colmo and ksmusa
Always a good idea to set you RTH altitude really high, that way you're less likely to run into issues when having to use it to fly home. At 300ft it can't be heard from the ground, so no-one will notice it.
Excellent idea. Thank you. I wonder if you raise to that height and RTH height is lower if it will lower before returning. I'll check that out easy and find out. But I still would like to see a step by step list of how to view my logs. Or a YouTube video.

I launch from my backyard with my inspire and my MP all the time. Never once have I ever had a complaint from neighbors or anybody for that matter. Flying over peoples houses is unavoidable.

I disagree. Set your return to home high enough to clear objects easily and no higher. That way you get it back. If you set it higher than necessary you can actually make it less likely to get it back. Flying higher than normal exposes the mavic to more wind and increases the time it takes to get it back. On the flip side you are more likely to regain control as it ascends. So with return to home the object should be to reestablish the link and take over.

Reactions: Paul2660
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121