DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic Air two days ago, couldnt rth or sport mode back to home

tjaprieto

Reactions
Hey guys!

My mavic took off from a hill and the first couple of minutes were fine. Then i got some weak signal and wind velocity warnings, so i tried to head home. In normal mode, the drone wasn't even moving forward with full throttle from the remote. So i put it on sport mode, but still the drone just drifted slowly away (could see it on the distance counter), and the drone's speed on full throttle was only about 20 km/h! Battery was full at take-off and RTH was recorded. Tried RTH sometime during the period of trying to get the drone back. Battery dropped to 5 mins left flight time just after a few minutes. When i realized that it was impossible to get it back that way, I tilted the gimbal all the way down to find a recognizable landing spot. All i could see were trees, and I couldn't control the drone that much anyways. My mavic ended up around 1,5-2 km away. So I followed the gps flight log in the app, and searched both ground and trees around the area for 2-3 hours that evening, and 8 hours the next morning, without any luck. The area is full of trees and is pretty well vegetated. It was also kinda the side of the hill which makes searching thoroughly a little difficult and exhausting. I tried following the flight path using the coordinates in the app together with google maps. I noticed that google maps wasn't that accurate in the area since my point was always kinda moved around the area.

So i am wondering:

How accurate are the last position coordinates in the flight log?

And can someone help me figure out a better way of locating the drone?

Here's the link to my flight log:

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

A case has been set up for me through DJI, but haven't got a response yet.

Appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks.

Timothy

The winds aloft were far to strong for the aircraft to fight against:

May 28th, 2018 06:28PM | General / Overview | Drone Flight Log from DJI GO app, version 4.2.14 on iOS | Total Mileage: 7,058 ft | Norway | Airdata UAV

As for the coordinates, they will have been accurate but the aircraft was drifting at several m/s and over 500 m AGL at the last recorded point with 9% battery. That would take it 3 minutes to descend to ground level and it did not have sufficient battery left to do that. It likely shut down mid-air and fell to the ground a few hundred meters NE (actual final track was 60°) of its last recorded location.

Ok, thanks. The wind didn't feel that strong from where i was standing though.

But could someone try to help me figure out an approximate area of where the drone might have landed? Maybe i can go for a last try to find it when the weather conditions are good.

Ok, thanks. The wind didn't feel that strong from where i was standing though.

But could someone try to help me figure out an approximate area of where the drone might have landed? Maybe i can go for a last try to find it when the weather conditions are good.

I'd start with a 10° arc centered on a 60° heading from the last recorded location, extending 500 m downrange. I'd start at the far end.

screenshot12.jpg

Reactions: beachcombing
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98