DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic Mini in Englewood Florida

First time flying this new drone outside. Increased altitude to just above trees around my house. The wind took the drone, I hit the Return to Home button, and watched the drone continue to blow away with the wind. I had no idea it was so windy, nor that the Mavic Mini would be so weak in flying against the wind. I had the prop guards installed, so I think they prevented the drone flying against the wind even more than if they had not been installed. The find my drone feature on the DJI Fly app shows the last location as over water (Lemon Bay). I've been communicating with DJI about the incident, and they've analyzed data from the phone I used with the controller. They concluded it was too windy, and I should not have been flying so they are not going to replace the drone. They offered me a 15% discount off of a new Mavic Mini, but other posts on the DJI support forum indicate others in this situation were offered a 25% discount off of a replacement Mavic Mini. I don't think I want a new Mavic Mini, because I can see this happening again very easily, and there seem to be lots of lost Mavic Mini drones. They are so lightweight, the wind just takes them and they can't return to home, especially with the prop guards installed.
Would it be advisable to notify new Mini owners that if they plan to fly and the wind is even close to questionable that they should leave the ground in Sport mode. Once they got up they would have a fighting chance of a soft land based landing.
I used to spend a lot of time around big sailing vessels in Maine and I have forgotten how many times I came about just after getting clear of the headland of a harbor. What seemed like a perfect day on the anchor turned into a bear as soon as you were out of the lea of land.
Houses and tress can offer the same kind of protection as land and its very easy to get fooled, particularly with a very light, underpowered aircraft.

?‍♂️ This is (now) happening by the dozens each day (figuring the ones that don't post here). DJI is making a killing on this drone. They should have a warning video that plays at the initiation of start-up of a NEW MM: (wind will blow away your drone for sure). . . if you don't watch it, the bird shuts down. They have to do something about all these blow aways . . . offerings 15% on a new one is admiral but does not fix the problem. It only puts more profit in their pockets (less 15%) . . .

One thing I know. People do not read. They charge stuff up, download the app, and hit "fly now."

I'm not sure a video that you're required to "watch" one time will solve the issues pilots experience. What else should they add to that video? WiFi interference? Flying VLOS? Not using the prop guards outside? Flight altitude restrictions? How to use the controller and use the sticks? Explaining RTH in detail and how you should probably not use that unless absolutely needed? P vs C vs S modes? Sounds kind of like the manual that people do not read. Should they required to watch that before every flight?

This is a mostly a human nature social issue.

DJI is certainly selling a lot of Mini's, but I doubt it was their intention for folks to have their new drone fly away on the first flight.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
One thing I know. People do not read. They charge stuff up, download the app, and hit "fly now."

Yep, most likely this is not going to change anytime soon.

I did see a YT vid last night, title 'mavic mini wind problems' or such.
At least SOME YT vids now are bringing it up . . . too many tutorials / flight demos / even long term reviews simply don't mention this at all, and they must know, surely !!??

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3