DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic Mini in Englewood Florida

wpadgett

Reactions
First time flying this new drone outside. Increased altitude to just above trees around my house. The wind took the drone, I hit the Return to Home button, and watched the drone continue to blow away with the wind. I had no idea it was so windy, nor that the Mavic Mini would be so weak in flying against the wind. I had the prop guards installed, so I think they prevented the drone flying against the wind even more than if they had not been installed. The find my drone feature on the DJI Fly app shows the last location as over water (Lemon Bay). I've been communicating with DJI about the incident, and they've analyzed data from the phone I used with the controller. They concluded it was too windy, and I should not have been flying so they are not going to replace the drone. They offered me a 15% discount off of a new Mavic Mini, but other posts on the DJI support forum indicate others in this situation were offered a 25% discount off of a replacement Mavic Mini. I don't think I want a new Mavic Mini, because I can see this happening again very easily, and there seem to be lots of lost Mavic Mini drones. They are so lightweight, the wind just takes them and they can't return to home, especially with the prop guards installed.

First time flying this new drone outside. Increased altitude to just above trees around my house. The wind took the drone, I hit the Return to Home button, and watched the drone continue to blow away with the wind. I had no idea it was so windy, nor that the Mavic Mini would be so weak in flying against the wind. I had the prop guards installed, so I think they prevented the drone flying against the wind even more than if they had not been installed. The find my drone feature on the DJI Fly app shows the last location as over water (Lemon Bay). I've been communicating with DJI about the incident, and they've analyzed data from the phone I used with the controller. They concluded it was too windy, and I should not have been flying so they are not going to replace the drone. They offered me a 15% discount off of a new Mavic Mini, but other posts on the DJI support forum indicate others in this situation were offered a 25% discount off of a replacement Mavic Mini. I don't think I want a new Mavic Mini, because I can see this happening again very easily, and there seem to be lots of lost Mavic Mini drones. They are so lightweight, the wind just takes them and they can't return to home, especially with the prop guards installed.
The Mini only flies at half the speed of the bigger DJI drones so it's not able to deal with wind very well.
Put prop guards on and as well as having to lift a heavier load, the drone now has additional sail area to catch more wind.
That's a bad combination.
If you post your flight data for analysis, someone will be able to show exactly how much the wind was affecting your drone.

Sorry to here about your loss.
Even with my M2P I always check the wind velocity. Basic apps for this are free. Just Google it. And then ask questions here.
Best of luck in the future.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Sorry to here about your loss.
Even with my M2P I always check the wind velocity. Basic apps for this are free. Just Google it. And then ask questions here.
Best of luck in the future.
Thanks for your response. Can you tell me, is it permissible to post my Mavic Mini controller, batteries, charger, and other accessories for sale on this forum? I don't want another Mavic Mini and I don't have any use for these, so I would like to find someone who could use them.

Sorry for your loss. Lots of Mini owners are learning the hard way to check conditions before flying. Just because you don’t feel a breeze on the ground doesn’t mean that there aren’t 40-50moh gusts 200’ up.

Thanks for your response. Can you tell me, is it permissible to post my Mavic Mini controller, batteries, charger, and other accessories for sale on this forum? I don't want another Mavic Mini and I don't have any use for these, so I would like to find someone who could use them.
I should think you could post them in the classified section without a problem.

For the safety of all there are minimum requirements to list items in the Classified section. Please check that document.... it is stickied at the top of the ads.

I start to think they should tie the new Fly app with a good wind speed source or app. I am saddaned by how many MM fly-aways happen for winds.

To get a 25-30% discount I believe you have to have a solid flight log that demonstrates you were not at fault besides the classical historical weather fact checking.

Regret to hear you lost it. I agree it is certainly not recommended to fly Mini with prop protector in heavy winds. Prop protectors are more dedicated to indoor flights or low hight flight with obstacles. They are just an extra sail to blow you away with strong winds and hights. You must be aware that if you fly below obstacle hight a lot of wind will be directed over your Mini. At the moment your drone raises above all the obstacles it will be exposed to a much heavier wind, with propguards it will certainly be blown away. I fly with Pro and Spark and they are less sensative for heavy wind. Still the Mini can withstand heavy winds. In this short movie the camera did not move, only the Mini, but it stays in the frame despite the wind.
In a lot of circumstances I prefer the mini over the Pro and Spark. It is so small it fits in my pocket. I carry it with me almost allways. The flight time is very good. You don't need registration in a lot of country. All can charged by USB. I love to change the RTH feature on the map, that is so much fun. You can let it fly anywhere, while you are on the way to the meeting point. Despite the wind sensitivety I would not want to have something else than the Mini.

Last edited by a moderator:
?‍♂️ This is (now) happening by the dozens each day (figuring the ones that don't post here). DJI is making a killing on this drone. They should have a warning video that plays at the initiation of start-up of a NEW MM: (wind will blow away your drone for sure). . . if you don't watch it, the bird shuts down. They have to do something about all these blow aways . . . offerings 15% on a new one is admiral but does not fix the problem. It only puts more profit in their pockets (less 15%) . . .

Reactions: Flycaster
Thanks so much, everyone, for your many kind and helpful replies. I'm learning how thoughtless it was to launch the MM outside on a windy day-- especially with prop guards installed. What a numbscull! I'm new at piloting drones, but I guess I still should have known better. First flight, sure I deserved to lose it forever, so I can take it as a lesson learned. "Gutted!"

I hope you are not scared away from flying drones. From first hand I can say it is so much fun and an addiction. I practice almost every day and still I learn new things. Loosing a drone hurts, I know. I will probably happen to all of us sometime. Nevertheless, (I did crash a few) I still go on, even if I will loose one. My fault or not. Keep on flying !!

Sorry that happened to you. One of my students told me recently the same thing happened to his dad. I've read a lot in the forums that the lighter drone weight of the mini makes it fly off from even low, soft winds.

On my third flight (totally new to drones) I received a Low Battery warning and pressed RTH and watched the drone elevate and run away to smash into a tree deep in the forest. Searched for several days to no avail. Totally unable to recover it! How do I approach the 15 per cent discount on a replacement? I am sure that an upper wind must have sent it away although there was no wind at all on the ground level. A lot of money gone but I understand and just want your wisdom on any way to cut my loss here! Any way possible? Appreciate any help...

On my third flight (totally new to drones) I received a Low Battery warning and pressed RTH and watched the drone elevate and run away to smash into a tree deep in the forest. Searched for several days to no avail. Totally unable to recover it! How do I approach the 15 per cent discount on a replacement? I am sure that an upper wind must have sent it away although there was no wind at all on the ground level. A lot of money gone but I understand and just want your wisdom on any way to cut my loss here! Any way possible? Appreciate any help...
You should still have the .TXT and .DAT flight log files in your phone. Suggest to share it here so that members can try to find out the cause. If it was indeed pilot error, you will know how to avoid it in the future.

?‍♂️ This is (now) happening by the dozens each day (figuring the ones that don't post here). DJI is making a killing on this drone. They should have a warning video that plays at the initiation of start-up of a NEW MM: (wind will blow away your drone for sure). . . if you don't watch it, the bird shuts down. They have to do something about all these blow aways . . . offerings 15% on a new one is admiral but does not fix the problem. It only puts more profit in their pockets (less 15%) . . .

I agree, especially when you first power it up, it forces you to do a check/update the firmware.
They've thrown in those cheesy quizes on the Go4 App for other birds, stick a vid in the Fly app for the Mini......

The Mini is super good, and i think is a very good start before you get a bigger one like the 2 pro.. In my case was my first drone and when i recently got it.. The very first flight it just flew away with the wind or something and smash a wall from the hotel.. Thank god it was at night no people around the parking lot..

Then like 2 days later i flew it again but i didnt saw it said that the GPS where not available (this was before the firmware update) so it took off and at around 30feet high it just stop fliyng highier, i didnt know what was happening and also it didnt lock it's position cuz it was no GPS.. And again the wind took it straight to the wall of an other hotel.. Once again no injuries except for my finger that i tried to reach the drone before it crashed.. (that drone hits really hard)..

So from that day i only fly in open spaces not just without people but without walls, trees, etc.. But yeah the mini when you just start is very tricky now i know there is a sport mode and that the higher you fly the stronger the winds are.. Its so well made the Mini that its still able to fly I just change the blades.. Now is super easy to handle it for me.. But the learning curve was hard..

I think the frequency of occurs is mostly due to the inexperience of the users and them not have a grasp of just how much wind will impact the flight characteristics of the drone. The other issue is not having an understanding of how much winds can vary from the surface as altitude increases.

The other issue may be that there is nothing in the MM quick start guide about precautions. Of course the vast majority of people that buy a drone what to get it into the air as quickly as possible and will grab the quick start guide to get them going. While I realize the guide can't list all precautions wind is a universal issue on matter where you are flying the MM. There should be some warning about wind in the QS guide.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky