DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic Pro after GO app crash

Hi all,
My Mavic Pro, I think, had a bad crash few days ago. Hopefully not that bad. Thankfully no damage to people, animals or property of others.
While returning to the home point I noticed on the GO 4 app that the battery status went from 20% to N/A. It was a new battery too, only 7 flights recorded on it. About 5 seconds later the GO 4 app crashed. I restarted the app but I was not able to re-connect to the drone. On the RC it indicated the battery dropped to 16%. About another 10 seconds later "LANDING" appeared on the RC. I searched at the coordinates that "find my drone" recorded but I was not able to find my Mavic Pro. I have returned to site a few times and looked in other areas close to the coordinates but unfortunately still no drone.
At the end of the flight log the mavic stopped and pivoted. The distance and height did not change. That is where it landed was not recorded because the GO 4 app crashed. So I really need some help discovering where this puppy might have landed.
So all I have the information on the RC called the "BlackBox". But the files are encrypted I can't read them. So question is: I've managed to download all the BlackBox files from the RC using DJI Assitant 2.
But how can I view and analyze that data from RC? The following link contains the files Mavic_RC.zip and Mavic_FL.zip. The RC file contains the BlackBox information and FL contains all the flight logs I was able to grab from the DJI folder on my phone. Please help. I know it's out there and some place close to last known GPS coordinates.

Mavic - Google Drive

Hoping you located your drone by now but if not, the Mavic Pro is difficult to detect in a tree. I just recovered one about a week back that sat 90 feet up a tree for three days in the rain. I too lost signal and only after driving to the last known position did it reconnect and provide an "updated" last known position.

I was able to get a visual from the lED's and made a mental note of its position. Upon returning a few days later when the rain stopped, the drone was nowhere to be found. In fact, I was convinced it had fallen out of the tree, and someone perhaps found it.

In stubborn desperation however, I persisted. After a lot of staring up in the "known" tree, I finally spotted it using a pair of binoculars. Even with the binoculars, it still looked like a clump of leaves. It took some intense staring to pick out the props and motors.

one anomaly was the fact that the actual position, in relation to last known position, was about 100 yards away on a RTH vector. I still don't quite understand the signal loss in my situation. I've always recovered signal via full up elevator at first onset of video deterioration. For some reason, on this flight I lost video and control both, thus kicking in the RTH. Unfortunately my RTH altitude was a foot or so below the tree tops.

In summary, don't rule out it being in the trees as pointed out by Meta4. Also looking along a straight line along the RTH vector from last known position. I retrieved mine using a slingshot and fishing weight. After about 20 shots, I finally snagged the thin limb and with a few tugs, it came crashing down. (Note to self: take at least two people with a blanket to cushion fall). After a couple minutes with a blow dryer and some simple parts ordered on ebay, it flies like new LOL

hope you find it

Reactions: BD0G
@pongmaster21 did you recover your drone?
Unfortunately I have not recovered the drone. It's been lost now for about a month. I assume it's still in a pine tree. After a Nor'Easter storm hit us a few days after I lost the drone. I returned to the site and was fully ready to recover the drone, thinking the high winds knocked it down. No luck. I do plan on continuing the search with binoculars.

Reactions: Shon
The last recorded location appears to be within that 100 ft x 60 ft rectangular patch of vegetation that sticks out from the eastern boundary of the cleared area.
There's one big tree visible in Google Earth that might be a drone collector?
Here's a link to see it on Google Earth for yourself:
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help
i-k62hD5x.jpg
Godd job bro. Can u help me analyzing flight records like u did

I am a new owner of a Mavic and seeing these posts of lost connection really makes me nervous to fly. Is there a prevention or a SOP of what to do in case of signal or app failure? I am one who panics if I don’t have visual on the drone. Had a nice phantom 3 which my brother crashed so I replaced with the Mavic which is much harder to see.

Yes there are a few SOP.

Never fly outside your capability

Practice all the scenarios that could possible happen and learn what how to bring your bird back.

Understand the difference between video loss and TX loss. Video loss means you don’t have a live view. You can still use the telemetry on the TX to fly home or if that is beyond your capability hit return to home on the TX. If you set RTH properly your bird will raise to the RTH altitude and come back. Sometimes just raising to the RTH is enough to regain video.

If it TX loss their isn’t much you can do except wait. Mavic will RTB when you lose signal.. unless you change the setting to do otherwise on lost signal.

Reactions: Bill Owen
Except it also loses GPS or has other error then it will force land.

To be honest that is a very unlikely circumstance. I have never heard of that occurring in two years of flying and reading on the board

To be honest that is a very unlikely circumstance. I have never heard of that occurring in two years of flying and reading on the board

There have been a number of cases of link and P-GPS loss - due either to flying in terrain that blocked both or ATTI mode due to compass errors followed by drifting away on the wind. The latter category has led to several recoveries because the aircraft starts autoland as soon as the uplink is lost, and so the position extrapolation only needs to extend as long as it takes to descend.

There have been a number of cases of link and P-GPS loss - due either to flying in terrain that blocked both or ATTI mode due to compass errors followed by drifting away on the wind. The latter category has led to several recoveries because the aircraft starts autoland as soon as the uplink is lost, and so the position extrapolation only needs to extend as long as it takes to descend.
You definitely would know. - I have never seen that.

What is the cause of the GPS loss?

You definitely would know. - I have never seen that.

What is the cause of the GPS loss?

Flying down into narrow canyons seems to be the most common. The aircraft just loses sky view. Compass errors, in contrast, don't result in GPS loss of course - it's just that the aircraft ignores position data in ATTI mode.

Reactions: AMann
Loss of GPS happened all the time with some of the older Garmin hand held GPS units. Mobile phones improved on this by using transmission towers and signal strengths to augment GPS. Modern GPS units have improved but can still lose position.

Loss of GPS happened all the time with some of the older Garmin hand held GPS units. Mobile phones improved on this by using transmission towers and signal strengths to augment GPS. Modern GPS units have improved but can still lose position.

Mobile phones don't use aGPS (towers) to prevent loss of GNSS - only to speed up GNSS lock (TTFF - time to first fix) with an initial rough location estimate.

One option on loss of signal for >3-5 seconds or Go4 app crash on your device is to hit pause on the DJI controller which will put the bird into hover. You’ve still got to see it and as mentioned above, good strobes can be a life saver visualizing your drone in the air, after a crash, or after an autolanding.

Reactions: AMann
As a new Mavic pilot I've been reading thru this thread to help me learn how to bring my drone back under this and other scenarios.
Also will be practicing flying Mavic back nose in as controls are opposite and need to hone this flying skill.
Thanks for this information.

Reactions: Bill Owen
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98