DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic Pro in Mammoth lakes, CA

Justin Bates

Reactions
I was flying between twin lakes and old Mammoth road when I lost connection. I have scoured the woods in the area using the last coordinates the app had given me. I never found it.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-06-07_[08-42-43].txt
    518.9 KB · Views: 24
You need to post your flight logs. Your post is not very helpful. I don't think anyone could magically tell you where your drone is from the 3 sentences you gave.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Poor thing, it’s just waiting for someone to love it enough to try harder to find it.

Hope OP gets back and posts those files, you guys have sleuthed a lot of successful recoveries!

Reactions: Chip
Sorry your aircraft went down but if you follow the instructions in post # 2 and post your flight data, you may get some very real advice from some of the very smart individuals on this forum who have helped many find their wayward craft.
Give it a try, nothing more to loose.

I was flying between twin lakes and old Mammoth road when I lost connection. I have scoured the woods in the area using the last coordinates the app had given me. I never found it.
The app can only show you where the drone was when connection was lost.
But obviously if the drone was moving at the time, that's not point where the drone ended up.
The recorded flight data might have some clues that help work out where it might have ended up though.

The app can only show you where the drone was when connection was lost.
But obviously if the drone was moving at the time, that's not point where the drone ended up.
The recorded flight data might have some clues that help work out where it might have ended up though.
Yes I realize that and I searched for 10 hours then had to continue with my trip. I was able to return a week later and searched for 2 days. I was unsuccessful. So I made this post

Yes I realize that and I searched for 10 hours then had to continue with my trip. I was able to return a week later and searched for 2 days. I was unsuccessful. So I made this post

Post the flight log as shown above on post #2- it contains far better information that can be used to point out where your drone may have landed than the find my drone tool. Even if you can’t go back there you can still put a free ad here or in Craigslist offering a reward for return and give the responder the coordinates from your flight log. There’s been members here willing to go look when the owner had to go home after their vacation, in fact there was a successful find and recovery here like that in San Francisco not too long ago.

Reactions: Thomas B
Here is there file,I certainly will offer a reward.

Justin, upload the file to the DJI flight log viewer website link given on Post#2 above, then post the link here from the one it creates for you so members can see that other page and help analyze your flight record.

Last edited:
It has an SD card with irreplaceable pics and I will be happy to pay for it's recovery.

It has an SD card with irreplaceable pics and I will be happy to pay for it's recovery.
There were a number of problems with this flight, here are the obvious ones:
1. Starting with a battery at 70%
2. Flying 2500 feet away until 25% without turning back
3. Failing to set an appropriate RTH height for the terrain - it was left at the default 100 ft.

Here's what the data looks like:

On losing signal the drone would have initiated RTH.

Your likely search area is on the yellow line or a little south of it.
You can click on the Download KML link on the Phantomhelp report to get this info in Google Earth and get GPS points from there.

i-2XHjnvp-X2.jpg

I could have done allot of things different. Thank you for your opinion, I truly felt like a jackass. Unfortunately I love in Florida

Sorry about losing that, Justin.

Post a free lost and reward Notice here:

And also on the Mammoth Lakes Craigslist here:

Include the map info Meta4 posted above to the ads.

Good luck!

It may be possible to narrow this search down somewhat by looking at the rate of battery depletion versus flight state and distance:

The aircraft was above the RTH height when it entered RTH just before the end of the flight record and lost signal, but it should have been able to manage around 9 m/s return speed. Extrapolating the battery to the SMART_BATTERY_landBattery level which was at 12% for that altitude suggests that it would have proceeded home (along the red line) for around 58 seconds before entering autoland. That equates to autoland at around 235 meters from the home point. It had sufficient ground clearance (> 25 m) at that altitude to avoid the terrain and vegetation. Plotting that result on Google Earth shows the following:

It's worth considering whether it would have been expected to re-establish the control link if it flew that far back. The computed viewshed from the predicted autoland start position indicates that it would still have been short of line of sight to the home point, so that's consistent:

Amazing work but at such close range with Occusync wouldn't the connection have been reestablished regardless of LOS ?

@webvan
Well all the Occusync technology can't help if dense objects block or deviate the signal no matter how close it might seem. 235 m is still the height of One Canada Square in London. It seems close but there could be dozens of potential irritations so low.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock