DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost my DJI Mavic pro on my first flight [ DRONE FOUND]

Wow congrats on finding the drone! That is really incredible and quite a story. I'm so happy to be a part of a community where people go out of the way to help others!

I've lurked here for months before I got my mavic, and all the info helped me avoid the common rookie mistakes. This forum rocks!

Reactions: Viper 1
I am brand spanking new (newbie) to drones period. I took my first flight yesterday at a local sports center, LOTS of soccer & baseball fields.

I have (I think) enabled Sport Mode in the controller. From the camera view screen I pressed the quadcopter icon then slid the switch to the right of "Multiple Flight Modes" to the right to enable multiple flight modes, "Sport mode" is one of them.

My thought was to leave it enabled so if I get a fly-away or if mode goes into ATTI all I have to do is flip the switch on the RC to get extra power. Is there anything wrong with this logic?

Larry
thats the best option,in case of an emergency,chances are you wont have time to go in and enable multiple modes

Hello everyone, happy new year first of all to all of you! I just read so many threads, watched millions of videos, I have a problem. I lost my drone today on my first flight , before New year :D so sad. I watched so many tutorials on YouTube, I updated my drone to last firmware, I just bought it today, and wanted to try it outside in an open area, where's enough space. I had good GPS signal, said is ready to go, so I went up like 3m high and than suddenly it switches to atti mode and starts flying away, so far away that I can't see it, and shows on my rc remote that aircraft is disconnected. I checked my logs, it's doesn't even shows where was he's route.. But I tried using "find my drone" and it shows probably just my drones last location where it losts the signal, so I went there and I didn't find it, it's gets quick dark and I went home.. So I'm now celebrating new year so happy lost my drone :( :D and I don't really know what to do, I'll go one more time tomorrow to the same location where it's lost signal last time, but after reading so much on this forum, and I lost my motivation that I'll find it.. Because some people say that when drone fly away like that on atti mode, it's keeps drifting with wind until battery dies.. So I have no idea what I can do.. I'll try to go to police as well tomorrow and I'll try to call dji support. I have my dji refresh plan as well... And also we bought this drone for our holiday just we're going to Bali on 11th of January already, so I have no idea what to do really now.. Thanks all of you for your time reading all this story :)) and hopefully I'll get some good advise what can I do in this situation.
Hi! Have you set the RTH mode if you lost contact or other failures? dumb question maybe :)

I think as a warning to new MP fliers, make sure you take off no where near metal objects so the MMU can operate correctly. It can be pretty fussy at times. And doing a calibration never hurts.

Great thread! Having been in that 'where is the drone' situation before (never with DJI) I can sure relate! Looking forward to seeing the final video from the experience :)

I still hope Gavorin gets the flight logs into the hands of the pros. I think he mentioned he was going on holiday, so we might not see them for a while. I hope he's still committed to do that.

Hello everyone, happy new year first of all to all of you! I just read so many threads, watched millions of videos, I have a problem. I lost my drone today on my first flight , before New year :D so sad. I watched so many tutorials on YouTube, I updated my drone to last firmware, I just bought it today, and wanted to try it outside in an open area, where's enough space. I had good GPS signal, said is ready to go, so I went up like 3m high and than suddenly it switches to atti mode and starts flying away, so far away that I can't see it, and shows on my rc remote that aircraft is disconnected. I checked my logs, it's doesn't even shows where was he's route.. But I tried using "find my drone" and it shows probably just my drones last location where it losts the signal, so I went there and I didn't find it, it's gets quick dark and I went home.. So I'm now celebrating new year so happy lost my drone :( :D and I don't really know what to do, I'll go one more time tomorrow to the same location where it's lost signal last time, but after reading so much on this forum, and I lost my motivation that I'll find it.. Because some people say that when drone fly away like that on atti mode, it's keeps drifting with wind until battery dies.. So I have no idea what I can do.. I'll try to go to police as well tomorrow and I'll try to call dji support. I have my dji refresh plan as well... And also we bought this drone for our holiday just we're going to Bali on 11th of January already, so I have no idea what to do really now.. Thanks all of you for your time reading all this story :)) and hopefully I'll get some good advise what can I do in this situation.

Similar situation for me on 12/27/17. 3rd flight, my iphone shut down, due to cold, even though it was at 100% and drone just took off at a high speed. Panicking, I immediately warmed up charged phone, connected it with controller, and it showed no contact with drone. Before first flight, I watched numerous tutorials and not one mentioned what the drone would do if phone battery shut down Drone was charged 100%. I was only flying for 6 minutes. Last known position was when it lost contact with my phone, very near me, but it was flying so fast away from me it probably kept going. I searched everywhere around it's last know area with contact with me. Uploaded flight data and video cache to DJI and haven't heard back. It sound like others have had a similar issue with drone just taking off. Isn't it supposed to fly home at any distress? I tried to upload it's last video, but even a smaller MP4 is too large to upload here. (62 MB) Here is a screenshot from it's last video, and the last contact I had with it. It's roughly 150 yards down the street from our house. But the drone took off far beyond that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 3.49.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 3.49.14 PM.png
    6 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
This thread was a great read; so much to learn. Amazing insight into finding the drone from the experienced members.

Wow congrats on finding the drone! That is really incredible and quite a story. I'm so happy to be a part of a community where people go out of the way to help others!

I've lurked here for months before I got my mavic, and all the info helped me avoid the common rookie mistakes. This forum rocks!

Truly the pinnacle of forum helping. Amazing he found the drone, and kudos to the geniuses with the topography and map skills!

Wow this is one impressive story , unbelievable your were able to recover the drone , am new to the forum and drones but took my 14 th flight today and so far I love it. Well done all.

Now that you have found it, you might consider putting a tracking system on it - like a Marco Polo. If you had that to begin with, you would have likely had your drone back in an hour or 2 and been a much happier pilot. The Marco Polo system works anywhere you travel, whether there is cell service or not. At $220 for the Ultralight system that is recommended for the Mavic, it is not cheap, but you can easily move the tracking tag from drone to drone and use it on any future drones you buy for many years - without paying any service fees. It is just a whole lot more fun to not have the all worry and frustration.

Great Thread! One question I saw unanswered, If you power down the TX while in ATTI mode, will the MP autoland?

You poor thing. I feel bad for you. They should, but probably won't give you a new one. Looks like you did the right things to fly and it had a malfunction and fly away. When you do get another one or find yours, familiarize yourself with the PAUSE button and if something starts going wrong you hit that and it stops right there in mid air and waits a few seconds for the next command. Happy New Year and have fun in Bali. Wish I was going there too. LK

Thank you for this point regards the PAUSE button. I had a almost-mishap with RTH when i first started but haven't check about this function.

Sorry this happened! Everyone's worst nightmare. It looks like your log file will be convincing to DJI and you will get a new drone. I hope they send it in time for your trip to Bali. All the best to you!
If you have what appears to be a fault from the fight log do DJI replace regardless without fuss even without the extra care pack? I'm new and curious if the standard yr warrenty covers such things?

I don't know how to say thanks to you, I would give you million likes if I can, I can't believe I found it this morning 30 meters away from your pin. Thank you very much!!! You can't believe how happy I am now. I'll make a video of my story finding a drone and how I find and where it was, I have some material. Thanks a lot. You're the best of the best, so smart!! I would like to meet you in real and shake your hand and buy you a drink :D now my drone is in 6kg of rice, just wait for video if you're interested :)
This is incredable!!! Made my day.
Mavic pilots stick together
One of a kind story..

Wow I have to say lads, Take a Bow, that was some work on everyone’s part. What a story.
Not too many forums or communities where lads are as helpful as this.

It shows perseverance wins!!! It was evident from both sides....

Such a great community! Thanks everyone for your feedback and staying positive. I learned great bit from this incident even though I was just watching it from the sidelines.

Agree with this statement also and from the sidelines. Am down in Colombia and spend 2.5 weeks trying to get my MPP connected to no evail. Spent $400 on a used IPhone 6, immediate connection with the App. Took out in a large acre plot where Cane had been recently harvested. All data imputed into the RC (RTH, Altitude, Compass Cal etc etc). With a prayer hoping no Sys crash and lost signals, she flew flawlessly. Wife and I thought it would be lost to a large hawk that circled it 3 x's, was comical. A more daring flight on a mountain nearby of a large monument and a few other vista's before draining the batteries and prepping it's travel back to the states in my wife's backpack. I pray also I do not lose, sad one has to think this way.
Bravo to the Op and his family also for their determination. Let us know how your test flight goes. Great post all !!!

And I have the DJI Care Plan but it costs much more ($100 + about $79 for a replacement). You're not covered with DJI unless you return a drone for replacement. So if DJI doesn't agree that it's their issue - and your drone flew away or landed in a lake - you're plum out of luck (& $1,000).

In that case you should be covered by your Care Refresh, and get a replacement drone from DJI, no?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum