DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost my drone- mavic 2 zoom

****... why so high? If you even did find it, I'm guessing it would be unrecognizable.

Reactions: FMR
****... why so high? If you even did find it, I'm guessing it would be unrecognizable.
Not necessarily. If it fell into those trees along the road, or even the corn fields, a lot of cushioning might be available. Find the bird! Worry about the damage later. You can't fix what you don't have at all.

Not necessarily. If it fell into those trees along the road, or even the corn fields, a lot of cushioning might be available. Find the bird! Worry about the damage later. You can't fix what you don't have at all.

I'm not saying don't look, but I am saying good luck. at 1300 Ft the wind pattern would be completely different, so there is literally no telling where it went. It could be hundreds of feet away in any direction.

so there is literally no telling where it went
For future reference, this is not quite true. On the day it flew off we could have checked the global wind map or even UAVforecast, both of which could have shown what the wind was doing at the altitude specified. Unfortunately neither of these things allow you to view data in the past, so it does have to be done fairly shortly after the incident, or at least on the same day.

Reactions: Joebie
I'm not saying don't look, but I am saying good luck. at 1300 Ft the wind pattern would be completely different, so there is literally no telling where it went. It could be hundreds of feet away in any direction.

Not really - the wind speed and direction can be estimated from absolute velocity and tilt angle/direction. So we have a reasonable idea of the wind speed and direction at the end of the recorded flight, which was the basis for my calculation in post #18.

I stand corrected, but my initial point remains the same. I'd like to see what it looks like if it's ever found.

I stand corrected, but my initial point remains the same. I'd like to see what it looks like if it's ever found.

Your other point, about the damage, is a good one. Although it's also worth noting that these kinds of object acquire terminal velocity within a couple of hundred feet, and so falling from 400 ft or 1400 ft probably won't make any difference.

Reactions: Joebie and Kilrah
I was actually looking more at this, and found a calculator for free fall energy

https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1271595050

So calculated
@395 Meters and .907 kg it would technically reach 196MPH @3000 Joules. Obviously not entirely accurate
but the difference from 400ft is nearly triple the energy from 1000 Joules

I'm honestly not that well versed in physics, so I'm not sure how the above translates when you take into account that the object literally CAN'T hit that speed, but I thought it was interesting in general.

I did find this post which you guys figure out that it's ~50ft that it reaches TV

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/how-deadly-is-a-high-altitude-mavic.43827/

I crashed into high weeds doing 50 mph with no damage on mavic 1 with it's week gimbal.

I was actually looking more at this, and found a calculator for free fall energy

https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1271595050

So calculated
@395 Meters and .907 kg it would technically reach 196MPH @3000 Joules. Obviously not entirely accurate
but the difference from 400ft is nearly triple the energy from 1000 Joules

I'm honestly not that well versed in physics, so I'm not sure how the above translates when you take into account that the object literally CAN'T hit that speed, but I thought it was interesting in general.

I did find this post which you guys figure out that it's ~50ft that it reaches TV

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/how-deadly-is-a-high-altitude-mavic.43827/

Right - that's just an energy balance that converts gravitational potential energy (mgh) into kinetic energy (½mv²). That doesn't account for any energy lost to drag, and so is completely wrong for most real objects.

Not even sure why fly at an Altitude of 1300ft when FAA says max 400ft ???
Could have been struck by a private aircraft ..helicopter hmmm serious damage and consequences **
Consider yourself lucky you only lost your drone

Probably wishing he didn’t just publish that he broke a pretty basic rule.
Doesn’t anybody worry that the FAA reads this stuff?

Was that 30º F? That's pretty darn cold and surely that would have an impact on battery life. If it was 30º at ground level it would be even colder up at 1,300 ft. I believe some drone pilots have experienced sudden drops in battery power at those temps (am I remembering right?).

Mark

Or it just either hovered, or landed, until the battery depleted itself, depending on how he set the Loss of connection settings?

Or it just either hovered, or landed, until the battery depleted itself, depending on how he set the Loss of connection settings?
Loss of connection was set to rth. If you look at the flight log you can see it was already in rth cruise when it lost communication.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming