DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost my mavic mini

What can be the rectangular shape visible at the left of one of the last images ? (I have circled it in orange)
It looks like the superior end of a wall...
View attachment 97948
There are also bird nest like this lhttps://mavicpilots.com/threads/lost-my-mavic-mini.84592/page-2#post-959853 is some trees.

The near house is quite far as you can see in google maps:
crash_1.png
Yellow: The crash tree
Orange: The House

THis is around 22 Meters/72 ft

Is some one know if/how to check from the logs if/when the motores had stop, thanks. I did not climb the tree yet, I would like to understand the probabilty to remain on the tree.

The FC stopped the motors at 302 seconds, which is why the txt log ends at that point.

Reactions: LukiDrone
I was there again today, I did some vídeos, is dificult that the image is from ground level I took some pics that identify some branches. I search 5 mt form the tree perimiter. The few place I miss is climb the tree and check some spots not visible under it. Later I'll post some vídeo for analisys.

Hi @MAvic_South_Oz Thank you for your time looking at my case. Here are some videos and snapshots, I did try to match the a foto with the lasts frames, but it not easy:

cover_Drone.png
The red dot is the hit tree.
The Red in the boundary that I search extensively
The blue part is path that I did making a video and take some snapshoots:

Video 1:
snap 1.1:
vlcsnap-2020-04-05-16h58m44s528.png
snap 1.2:
vlcsnap-2020-04-05-16h40m29s319.png
snap 1.3:
vlcsnap-2020-04-05-16h58m44s528.png
Video 2
Snap 2.1:
vlcsnap-2020-04-05-16h24m25s037.png
snap 2.2:
vlcsnap-2020-04-05-16h28m01s462.png
snap 2.3:
vlcsnap-2020-04-05-16h28m42s478.png

After doing this exercise, I found that was difficult to find a match on the left side of the tree. It seams that snap 1.1 if inverted is the one more near the last frames....

The tree:
IMG_20200405_085227.jpg
Quite difficult to climb... that's why not done yet.
IMG_20200405_085252.jpg
This one I think match the video when it fall down, It's clean from branches until reach the ground if in free falling, would be very easy to find it on the ground if the motors where dead/stoped...
IMG_20200405_085312.jpg
Here the surroundings not directly under the braches, the water is shallow and the from the shoreline reeds I already searched, acctually there is not water there ...

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2020-04-05-16h36m29s328.png
    vlcsnap-2020-04-05-16h36m29s328.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
After taking some pics from under the tree I got a perfect match:

This is the video snapshot:
vlcsnap-2020-04-05-17h24m40s390.png

This is the picture I took afterwards:
match_pic_2.png

The picture I took from a height of around 1.6mt on the horizontal plane at the right start of the blue line from the previous post, under the tree.

If free fall it should be on the walkway and then someone took it. If bump after crash I could see it in the shoreline.

.... my next step now is it to figure out the path from this time until the last frame of the video....

Reactions: GregE
After taking some pics from under the tree I got a perfect match:

This is the video snapshot:
View attachment 98000

This is the picture I took afterwards:
View attachment 98002

The picture I took from a height of around 1.6mt on the horizontal plane at the right start of the blue line from the previous post, under the tree.

If free fall it should be on the walkway and then someone took it. If bump after crash I could see it in the shoreline.

.... my next step now is it to figure out the path from this time until the last frame of the video....

Nice detective work. If you look at a couple of frame grabs you can see that it is directly above the path pointing SE:

Frame-05-04-2020-10-13-57.jpg

A few seconds later it is stationary, upside down, and is looking up and east:

Attitude.png

That's consistent with the last view from the camera, looking up between the two trees either side of the path:

Frame-05-04-2020-10-12-12 (1).jpg

That puts it on the path, motors stopped. Someone picked it up.

Nice detective work. If you look at a couple of frame grabs you can see that it is directly above the path pointing SE:

View attachment 98005

A few seconds later it is stationary, upside down, and is looking up and east:

View attachment 98009

That's consistent with the last view from the camera, looking up between the two trees either side of the path:

View attachment 98008

That puts it on the path, motors stopped. Someone picked it up.

@sar104 yes everything match, except the altitute or elevation.... I was analising the video frames, frame by frame, that will post soon.

My analisys is that there is a possibilite that it did not hit the ground, but stop in some tree branch not visible from bellow.

On that time there was just an old lady passing by, and then I was in line of sight after one minute max.... there was no one comming or going... if some one took it should be very, very fast....

I need to chek the tree, any idea to do that without climb?

Thanks

Frame by frame analisys:

After falling, looking up (this should be the max pitch)
Snapshot - 1.png
It twist (down pitch and roll ) a bit (follow the red square)
Snapshot - 2.png
At this point it still on the tree looking and the density of the branches...
pitch down further
Snapshot - 3.png
here is clear that its on the tree and there is another frame almost at the same position showing that is about to stop...
Snapshot - 4.png
The first turn (this one was difficult to snap but fundamental):
Snapshot - 7.png
and finnally it flips:

Snapshot - 5.png

This is the sequence of the last frames where there is no big descent... my theory is that remains on the tree, not visible from bellow.

This because I was traing to match the video from the ground at that position and it get mutch more from the tree on the left, also there are a lot or reeds if a move away from the tree, also there is another small tree towards the lake...

Please comment

PS- to understand this post please read the previous one.

Again big thanks to all, special to @sar104 by posting fundamental data and charts to understand the drone behavior.

Now the thing is that is difficult this day to get help as every one (including friends) is on lockdown due to the COVID-19

?

Last edited:
@sar104 yes everything match, except the altitute or elevation.... I was analising the video frames, frame by frame, that will post soon.

My analisys is that there is a possibilite that it did not hit the ground, but stop in some tree branch not visible from bellow.

On that time there was just an old lady passing by, and then I was in line of sight after one minute max.... there was no one comming or going... if some one took it should be very, very fast....

I need to chek the tree, any idea to do that without climb?

Thanks
Do you have a friend with a drone, or one you could borrow?

Do you have a friend with a drone, or one you could borrow?

No, no one as a drone. Climbing a tree this days on a park would be something people would not understand with the restrictions imposed by the COVID-19.

I'll keep loking for discrete options. Thumbswayup

Reactions: Camino Ken
@LukiDrone I must say your tenacity to find your mini is extremely admirable, as too your dedication to finding that last photo frame with your ground shots.
You certainly deserve to find your drone more than any previous flight loss I've seen.

It's really hard to imagine you can't see from various angles if it was still in a branch fork or place it could be held in the tree.
The tree doesn't look to have branches and main lower trunk forks large enough, but this may be the case.

Out of sight for a full minute ?
Perhaps someone riding a bike came by just as the crash occurred, they could probably get out of sight pretty quick.

But if most people saw a flying machine crash like that, they'd more likely pick it up, look around for the owner, examine it, look around again, wait a good couple of minutes at least.
If someone took it, they would have literally have had to be on the spot very close, pick it up fast, and not wait around, just leave with it.

I wonder if the old lady nearby was cranky from the mini noise, picked it up and hurled it into the pond ? ?
Did you see her still there when you were searching ?

Hope your efforts to check the tree prove positive.

Reactions: Camino Ken
@LukiDrone I must say your tenacity to find your mini is extremely admirable, as too your dedication to finding that last photo frame with your ground shots.
You certainly deserve to find your drone more than any previous flight loss I've seen.

It's really hard to imagine you can't see from various angles if it was still in a branch fork or place it could be held in the tree.
The tree doesn't look to have branches and main lower trunk forks large enough, but this may be the case.

Out of sight for a full minute ?
Perhaps someone riding a bike came by just as the crash occurred, they could probably get out of sight pretty quick.

But if most people saw a flying machine crash like that, they'd more likely pick it up, look around for the owner, examine it, look around again, wait a good couple of minutes at least.
If someone took it, they would have literally have had to be on the spot very close, pick it up fast, and not wait around, just leave with it.

I wonder if the old lady nearby was cranky from the mini noise, picked it up and hurled it into the pond ? ?
Did you see her still there when you were searching ?

Hope your efforts to check the tree prove positive.

The old lady return after some time when other people were helping on the search, acctualy she sounds strange when I comment that probably it could fell on the water, when she said something like : "I think so!"....

Then for the frame analisys:
Snapshot - 3.png

and this:
compare_2.jpg

Those branches are the outer branches, so on that frame the drone is out of the tree, I suppose.

By the angle and size the drone is away from the tree and there is no other tree around.

No I'm really puzzeled as there are reeds and water around from the last frame on the video.

From the other side the gps coordinates match that trajectory away from the tree but still in the air....

No I'm really puzzeled as there are reeds and water around from the last frame on the video.

That's what I thought from the end frames . . .

Hmmm, just how big are the ducks / swans / geese in that pond ??? ? ;)
They might have thought it was one of their babies, and taken it back to the nest ?? (Sorry ? )

Do you think the old ladies comment was strange ?
It seems so, but surely a little old lady can be trusted.

On this post I'll state my conclusion for now, until I can continue the searches (probably in the summer):

The drone left the Tree still flying, in very bad shape but fliyingm the following frame was with the drone at around 3 meters above the ground:

In the direction that the drone left the tree, there are small trees with around 2.5 meters, if the drone get lower that that would hit it and stop. That was not the case. see photo token from the tree trunk:
IMG_20200407_064958.jpg
The drone continue the path as shown on the 2D gps coordinates, against all odds.
last_review.png

The RED dot is the last frame of the video . The elevation is still between 2.5 and 3 meters as there is no reeds on the snapshots from the video.
The YELLOW dot is when it hit the water.
Distance between Red and Yellow is around 12 meters.
I would find difficult that the motors just stop at that height.
The BLUE dot is from I took a photo afterwards:
IMG_20200407_070322_1.jpg
compare with the onde from the drone:
Snapshot - 7.pnghe

The trees are same but from an higher ground.
From this to the last frame the camera fliped but no sign of the reeds:
Snapshot - 5.png

Then the gps path is plausible and the drone should not be far from the yellow dot.

I will stand by on this investigation for now, until I have a way to go on the water. (In the summer maybe)

Thank you all for your comments and hints and I hope that no swan or duck adopt it and pot it on a nest to breed ;) .... @MAvic_South_Oz

Like some said:

LukiDrone signing Out!

PS: @sar104 you're the Best! Thumbswayup

Last edited:
On this post I'll state my conclusion for now, until I can continue the searches (probably in the summer):

The drone left the Tree still flying, in very bad shape but fliyingm the following frame was with the drone at around 3 meters above the ground:

In the direction that the drone left the tree, there are small trees with around 2.5 meters, if the drone get lower that that would hit it and stop. That was not the case. see photo token from the tree trunk:
View attachment 98157
The drone continue the path as shown on the 2D gps coordinates, against all odds.
View attachment 98154

The RED dot is the last frame of the video . The elevation is still between 2.5 and 3 meters as there is no reeds on the snapshots from the video.
The YELLOW dot is when it hit the water.
Distance between Red and Yellow is around 12 meters.
I would find difficult that the motors just stop at that height.
The BLUE dot is from I took a photo afterwards:
View attachment 98156
compare with the onde from the drone:
View attachment 98163he

The trees are same but from an higher ground.
From this to the last frame the camera fliped but no sign of the reeds:
View attachment 98164

Then the gps path is plausible and the drone should not be far from the yellow dot.

I will stand by on this investigation for now, until I have a way to go on the water. (In the summer maybe)

Thank you all for your comments and hints and I hope that no swan or duck adopt it and pot it on a nest to breed ;) .... @MAvic_South_Oz

Like some said:

LukiDrone signing Out!

PS: @sar104 you're the Best! Thumbswayup

Thanks for the comment, but your conclusions are incorrect. At the end of the flight the aircraft was on land, upside down, stationary, motors stopped. That is unambiguously clear in the flight log data. It did not fly out over the water - those final GPS data are bad.

I think you nailed that location looking at those photos, darn good work.
So it was / is / should be right there in those reeds, where you searched (I think), so there is really no plausible reason not to locate it.
Possible it sank, within that minute or so it took for you to get there, or that blasted swan got it (or the old lady !!).

Been fun following this, adn always a good learning curve for all, you and us.
I really hope you have some luck still and find it, though the sooner the better obviously, summer might see a lot more change in the water level, vegetation, etc.

Reactions: GregE
Hi All, today I went to the site with a small boat.

The water is shallow and the bottom is visible, I search the the full area no signs of it.
Maybe @sar104 is wright or maybe the drone floats, I don't know.
I did what I could to recover it, now it's lost forever.
I had a dji refresh pack and all, but is not usefull as I could not recover it....

• Sad
Reactions: GregE and Peio64270
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan