DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lots of Mavic's being sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

I agree with much of what you wrote, but what pushed you over the edge with DJI restrictions? GEO I presume?

Come to think of it, I'm going to fly at a spot on Lake Huron, Michigan tomorrow. There is a possibility the Mavic won't be allowed to fly there; will likely have to use the H and Solo now.

While I haven't had a DJI product for a good year, it was shocking to see the size of the GO app. We used to call that bloatware! No disasters yet, fingers crossed. What gives me cause for concern is the many problems posted in various threads. Flyaways, dropping out of the sky etc. It's hard to tell if they're real or not and DJI doesn't acknowledge problems. Nonetheless, I bought a MP anyway because the thought of everything fitting in one little bag with a nice camera was a game changer.

Reactions: guest_1121
What gives me cause for concern is the many problems posted in various threads. Flyaways, dropping out of the sky etc. It's hard to tell if they're real or not and DJI doesn't acknowledge problems. Nonetheless, I bought a MP anyway because the thought of everything fitting in one little bag with a nice camera was a game changer.

I've read all that stuff too and noted the lack of planning, poor decision making, lack of familiarisation with systems and general pushonitis that seems to surround 99.9% of all incidents involving the MP.

Reactions: Dronewerkz

I know what you're saying. DJI is strangely silent over at RCG over all this stuff. Since the U.S. Army (likely the entire military) banned anything DJI, maybe those text files have something to do with it. Where are they stored at?

I had to return the MP anyway due to the sd card getting jammed trying to remove and replace the stock one. I was aware of issues with some restrictions regarding GEO, but not the things you are mentioning.

I thought the max altitude could be overridden?

What you're describing sounds like recently added restrictions and hoops to jump through. I was under the impression GEO was the main sticking point. I will say there is a lot you must learn before getting cocky with the controls. I spent a few hours studying the basics to make sure I didn't have any settings that could bite me in the rear once airborne.

Size was the main selling point for me, along with a good camera. It is a good flier.

Reactions: guest_1121
No surprise , the governments worldwide are using scare tactics drones are dangerous and you are a delinquent if you fly one, or in Canada, you are potentially a criminal ...Transport Canada is telling the public to call 911 if you think someone is breaking the law.. GOD, how does the regular folk know if you are breaking the law...so its well oiled plan the governments want these out of our skies..

In the UK they want to make it like a car, annual registration (road tax) and safety training (driving license) both of which will be charged for

UK law

Users must not fly drones with cameras
within 50m of any vehicle, structure or
person (that they do not have control of)
without permission
Users must not fly drones with cameras
over or within 150m of any congested
area or large crowds of people without
permission.
Users must not fly drones above 400ft
or within certain categories of airspace
without permission if the drone weighs
more than 7kg.

So for a mavic at the moment there is no altitude limit by law only an advisory

Reactions: AshFrom NZ

Wow had the Mavic for a few months and not flown it! Nice long post, but maybe you need to Fly More, read less, talk less then fly some more. The Mavic is great, I love flying mine, had no problems here in New Zealand or in Fiji

I'm looking to sell mine but that's only to refresh for a new one even though it's in perfectly good condition. I think some people may have that thought process. So it's a win win for new people into the drone market who want a cheaper solution to get a Mavic

The day I got mine, I flew in a remote area of a local park and a cop showed up in the middle of my second battery and told me about not being allowed to fly in any city park. I do have to drive some distance to fly and explore new areas which has limited how often I do it. I live next door to a high school that does fireworks on the 4th of July and I took it up to film it.
A few of my neighbors were there and wanted to see it. They really liked it but the wife of one neighbor asked if I filmed thru or spied on people in houses. I told her I would never do that but it bothered me hearing it. Despite living in a big city and the possible negatives with flying in the wrong area I won't give my Mavic up, too fun to fly.

I'm not selling mine anytime soon and have had it since it's release.
FW 0400 has been the best for the Mavic and forever will be.
I could care less about all the extra features that have been released since 0400. I have the Goggles as well and all works sweet. I have no use for fixed wing mode either. All I know is that my bird flies perfect and it's cam takes amazing video and pics with that FW.
If something works, don't fix it. Loving FW 0400. (Modded).

Reactions: Mavman
I'm vehemently against restrictions. But my mavic is great so far and will continue to be because I refuse to update.

Social Stigma? Anti Social? It's a flying camera! I don't understand your post at all!
John, just because it has a camera on board, doesn't make it an airborne camera - the same way as every man walking down the street is carrying the 'equipment' to rape a woman, but that doesn't make him a rapist!

As others point out MP's have been selling in huge numbers since late spring when DJI finally got their act together.
Then there is the buyer's remorse: while a fantastic thing, the MP does require more than an urge to manage and use. It can be work.
Apply this to London : Drone code | Dronesafe and you can't get in the air much.
Getting out to the delicious countryside is a trek.

The restrictions don't affect my enjoyment, but I'm neither a terrorist nor reckless idiot.

Last edited:
The person in charge must not fly the SUA:
a) in Class A, C, D or E airspace unless permission of the appropriate air traffic control
unit has been obtained;
b) within an aerodrome traffic zone during the notified hours of watch of the air traffic
control unit (if any) at that aerodrome unless permission of any such air traffic control
unit has been obtained;
c) at a height of more than 1,000 feet above the surface (see Note 3);
d) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;
e) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000
persons;
f) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the
person in charge of the aircraft;

Better the 400 ft that they advise

With respect I think that your information regarding drone flying in the UK may be out of date. The restrictions are much more arduous. See CAA publication 1226 dated 28th April 2017
Link: http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/1226.pdf
Maybe UK lone flyers should sell their MP !!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato