DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Love the zoom capability of the Zoom

jwt873

Reactions
When I was shopping, I did quite a bit of comparison between the Pro and the Zoom. One thing I totally missed was the fact that the Pro has a fixed lens and the Zoom has variable focal length lens. I figured both cameras did the same thing, except for the larger sensor in the Pro. I selected the Zoom over the Pro only because I'm somewhat frugal :)

I discovered the difference after the fact. The zoom is great. I'm so glad I chose it. For me, it has been one of the best features of the drone. I can fly above my property and see much farther in the distance than I could with my Phantom 4. Plus I can fly a lot higher to avoid bothering people, yet still view things like I was much closer to the ground. The 4X optical/digital zoom in 1080 mode is a treat. (I mostly shoot 1080, so the 96mm effective focal length always there to use when needed).

I did a quick 30 second video this morning to demonstrate how close you can get to a subject with no real loss of quality from the digital part of the zoom. (Zoom owners will be aware of this.. I'm posting the video for those who are following the forum to and might be sitting on the fence on which M2 to get).

What height were you at? I chose a zoom also. only a couple of hours so far..

Nicely done!! I chose the zoom as well. Compared to my old Vision 2+ this is like The Starship enterprise! I've only got a few hours on it as well because I live about 2.5 miles away from an airport with a tower. The guys there are great to deal with but I really hate to keep calling them for each and every flight. I know that's what is required but I always feel like I'm being a bother to them. I heard mention of an automated system in the works for flights in controlled airspace below 100 feet. Hopefully it will be made available soon. Sadly, my field is not one of the airports currently covered by the DJI thing. Oh well.

What height were you at? I chose a zoom also. only a couple of hours so far..

I was WAY higher than i should have been.

One 'problem' with the zoom is that without looking at the DJIGo altitude readout, you can't always visually gauge your height like you can with a fixed lens.

I was at the optical/digital 96mm zoom point. I had my thumb resting a little too hard on the 'up' stick and was slowly climbing while I was fiddling with all the camera/video options. I wasn't watching the altitude and because I was at 96mm the ground looked much closer than it was.

The zoom video was taken at 800 feet... I've since capped the maximum altitude to 400 feet in the settings so that I don't do that again.

Another neat thing I've discovered with the Zoom is when you're shooting active track. Sometimes if you're too far away from an object, it won't lock on. Sometimes it's not possible to fly in closer. With the Zoom, it's not a problem.. Just increase the focal length. The 2X optical gives you a lot of latitude in this respect.

Reactions: Raimis
When I was shopping, I did quite a bit of comparison between the Pro and the Zoom. One thing I totally missed was the fact that the Pro has a fixed lens and the Zoom has variable focal length lens. I figured both cameras did the same thing, except for the larger sensor in the Pro. I selected the Zoom over the Pro only because I'm somewhat frugal :)

I discovered the difference after the fact. The zoom is great. I'm so glad I chose it. For me, it has been one of the best features of the drone. I can fly above my property and see much farther in the distance than I could with my Phantom 4. Plus I can fly a lot higher to avoid bothering people, yet still view things like I was much closer to the ground. The 4X optical/digital zoom in 1080 mode is a treat. (I mostly shoot 1080, so the 96mm effective focal length always there to use when needed).

I did a quick 30 second video this morning to demonstrate how close you can get to a subject with no real loss of quality from the digital part of the zoom. (Zoom owners will be aware of this.. I'm posting the video for those who are following the forum to and might be sitting on the fence on which M2 to get).

Almost the same as shooting HQ video with the PRO. Of course that does not apply to stills taken with the PRO

Reactions: Vegasdad
Nicely done!! I chose the zoom as well. Compared to my old Vision 2+ this is like The Starship enterprise! I've only got a few hours on it as well because I live about 2.5 miles away from an airport with a tower. The guys there are great to deal with but I really hate to keep calling them for each and every flight. I know that's what is required but I always feel like I'm being a bother to them. I heard mention of an automated system in the works for flights in controlled airspace below 100 feet. Hopefully it will be made available soon. Sadly, my field is not one of the airports currently covered by the DJI thing. Oh well.

Please call and bother them, then bother them again; repeatedly.

The system you are referring to is LAANC. It is an automated flight authorization system that promises a far greater flight approval turn around time. The existing method can take up to two weeks (used to be 90 days).
The problem is, airports have to opt in to the program, though that may change with the pressure being put on the FAA to accelerate drone acceptance into the National Airspace System as congress has mandated. i.e. the government is much interested in drones being in the sky...for commercial purposes. Congress will let us hobbiests play, if we behave ourselves.

If we don't bother the control towers, they will have no reason to opt in.

I don't want to bother them. I don't want to call. I want LAANC

Reactions: KG in CT
Snow already? Wow!
Would it be asking too much to ask you to do that again, but at 200 feet of alt., 300 feet, then finally 400 feet?
I have a use for the zoom's optical, but need to see it's capabilities. The other videos I have seen, the operator appears to be flying the drone while zooming in, so I can't distinguish the optics from the flight. Your video makes use of a fixed/hovering position, which is the only true way gauge the zoom capability.

thanks for your consideration

Reactions: erickx
Snow already? Wow!
Would it be asking too much to ask you to do that again, but at 200 feet of alt., 300 feet, then finally 400 feet?
I have a use for the zoom's optical, but need to see it's capabilities. The other videos I have seen, the operator appears to be flying the drone while zooming in, so I can't distinguish the optics from the flight. Your video makes use of a fixed/hovering position, which is the only true way gauge the zoom capability.

thanks for your consideration

Good idea !

I can do the same thing with the Mavic 2 Pro by reducing my altitude... AND have a much better sensor with vastly superior low-light capabilities... just sayin'

Reactions: Thealien
I can do the same thing with the Mavic 2 Pro by reducing my altitude... AND have a much better sensor with vastly superior low-light capabilities... just sayin'

Or do like I did, and get both! I bought a zoom for $1299 with 2 batteries and a bag, landing pad and a couple of other not needed assecories (eBay 15% up to $100 sale). Then Sunday someone needed some fast cash and I bought a Pro 2 for less than that new in box sealed. I am having display pixelation on the zoom but the 2 is Cristal clear. And of course DJI is making me jump through hoops

Or do like I did, and get both! I bought a zoom for $1299 with 2 batteries and a bag, landing pad and a couple of other not needed assecories (eBay 15% up to $100 sale). Then Sunday someone needed some fast cash and I bought a Pro 2 for less than that new in box sealed. I am having display pixelation on the zoom but the 2 is Cristal clear. And of course DJI is making me jump through hoops

I would expect no less from DJI. I thought about buying both but there’s nothing you can do with the zoom that you can’t do with the pro, including dolly zoom which you can do in post processing.

I bought the zoom for similar reasons as OP.
I too wish my regional airport would subscribe to LAANC.

I would expect no less from DJI. I thought about buying both but there’s nothing you can do with the zoom that you can’t do with the pro, including dolly zoom which you can do in post processing.

I used to ride motorcycles all over the country, that was my passion and I have ridden to 37 states, twice from Mass to Key West, twice to Sturgis and everywhere in between. An industrial accident about 18 months ago destroyed my shoulders so I had to give up riding amongst any other activity I enjoyed. I figured drones would allow me to get somewhere I can't anymore and it keeps my mind active. I want to look into building also (drones).

I had no intentions on buying the Pro 2 until a brand new in the box one fell in my lap for $1100. Now that I have it I have proof the pixilation is not normal, my 2 does not have any display issues, crystal clear.

I don't know how to edit, yet. Or even what software to use. And I am pretty dumb when it comes to photography but I am trying to learn. That's what I like about digital photography. Take a bunch of photos/videos at different settings. Keep the ones you like and delete the rest.

Reactions: LakeTravis
I used to ride motorcycles all over the country, that was my passion and I have ridden to 37 states, twice from Mass to Key West, twice to Sturgis and everywhere in between. An industrial accident about 18 months ago destroyed my shoulders so I had to give up riding amongst any other activity I enjoyed. I figured drones would allow me to get somewhere I can't anymore and it keeps my mind active. I want to look into building also (drones).

I had no intentions on buying the Pro 2 until a brand new in the box one fell in my lap for $1100. Now that I have it I have proof the pixilation is not normal, my 2 does not have any display issues, crystal clear.

I don't know how to edit, yet. Or even what software to use. And I am pretty dumb when it comes to photography but I am trying to learn. That's what I like about digital photography. Take a bunch of photos/videos at different settings. Keep the ones you like and delete the rest.

You're in good company here and I feel your pain. I shattered my shoulder in a nearly-fatal two-wheeled vehicle too, albeit a bicycle instead of a bike. After six hours in the operating room and being worked on by two ortho trauma surgeons, I have limited use of my right (dominant) arm due to the nerve damage and rebuilt shoulder. Rotation is VERY limited and pain is constant.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: some advice... get to know the folks who are experienced with these things... NOT the ones who just think they are. I don't mean to insult anyone on here, but there are a LOT of know-it-alls. Enough said about that.

Reactions: KG in CT
Snow already? Wow!

The snow has all melted.. It was just a freak early snow.

That's a good idea. I'm going to give your suggestion a try and do the zooms at different altitudes.. I've been grounded for the last few days. 20+ MPH winds and dark overcast skies.. But I'll do it the next chance I get.

The snow has all melted.. It was just a freak early snow.

That's a good idea. I'm going to give your suggestion a try and do the zooms at different altitudes.. I've been grounded for the last few days. 20+ MPH winds and dark overcast skies.. But I'll do it the next chance I get.
Thank you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midlifecrisis77