DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low altitude limit

Yes, that thread that you pointed out can show how dangerous it is to set RTH higher than max altitude, thanks for that link!
I just want to add that setting your RTH altitude too low could result in your drone flying right into a tree and if your drone has obstacle avoidance, the drone just might stop and hover until the battery dies and it might still wind up in a tree (but a shorter one…) or on a roof…

When you fly do not take off until you have good satellite reception and the controller has reported that the Home point has been set… Otherwise, when your drone finally gets good GPS signal, it might set the RTH point over a tree, building, or body of water (pond, river, lake, etc…).

And when you first fly in an area always lift off and do a visual "look-see" to find out the minimum safe altitude RTH. There are videos on YouTube showing folks who had their RTH Altitude set low because they were filing in a park, but when they hit RTH the drone flew into a single lonely power pole…

Learn from other mistakes…

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I just want to add that setting your RTH altitude too low could result in your drone flying right into a tree and if your drone has obstacle avoidance, the drone just might stop and hover until the battery dies and it might still wind up in a tree (but a shorter one…) or on a roof…

I wonder if RTH has a different, more agressive threshold for "giving up" on bypassing an obstacle... Anyone know? It would make sense.

I remember a video from almost 10 years ago, about a P4 that went on quite an adventure trying to return home under Failsafe RTH, the height was set low – like 10 ft or something – and in the end it made it home. Recording the whole time. It was a really great demonstration of forward OA, as it worked around a fence, house, trees, all kinds of stuff. This was out in rural grazing ranch land.

BTW, if this strikes a notes with anyone and they have or can link that video, please please please... I've been trying to find it for years.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Did you by any chance mean "learn from the mistakes of others" or "others' mistakes" ?
Yes, I meant to write "learn from the mistakes of others…" But I would hope we all learn from our own mistakes… L 😆 L . . .

RTH button, for me, is just a quick way to orient me towards home. After than I cancel and do it myself, normally on "S" to get back quickly.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coddiewomple