DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low Flying Helicopters

Andrew F

Reactions
I've been involved in most of the conversations about low flying helicopters but here is a new one for those of you who just seem to love to defend the helicopters. I live in a rural area (on the water in Hawaii.) I recently had a helicopter do several low level passes over my house (literally over my house at about 100 feet up) and in front of my house (which is the Pacific Ocean.) By low level, I mean well UNDER 100 feet flying very fast. The helicopter was below an 80 foot tree at one point (but over the water at the time) and proceeded to do a 180 degree "stoppy" at maybe 75 feet less than 200 feet from my back yard. If I had been in the air at the time (thank God I wasn't) there is NO WAY I would have been able to move out of the way of such a fast flying helicopter. When they are that low, by the way, you don't hear them coming like you do when then are higher up. Each time (this happened on 3 separate occasions) it scared the crap out of me as it was totally unexpected. The helicopter had no visible markings, but a professional helicopter pilot friend of mine happened to be in the neighborhood and he was able to identify the company and I called them. They refused to call me back or discuss the matter. The "grey area" in helicopter regulations allows them to get away with almost anything and the lack of visible numbering makes it hard to identify the pilot. I have a nice set of photos (but just my phone) to prove this happened. I very clearly informed them (via a message) that I frequently fly my drone in that area commonly between the ground and 200 feet and sometimes up to 400 feet and I respectfully asked them to stop the low-level high-speed passes. Who knows if they will comply.

I've been involved in most of the conversations about low flying helicopters but here is a new one for those of you who just seem to love to defend the helicopters. I live in a rural area (on the water in Hawaii.) I recently had a helicopter do several low level passes over my house (literally over my house at about 100 feet up) and in front of my house (which is the Pacific Ocean.) By low level, I mean well UNDER 100 feet flying very fast. The helicopter was below an 80 foot tree at one point (but over the water at the time) and proceeded to do a 180 degree "stoppy" at maybe 75 feet less than 200 feet from my back yard. If I had been in the air at the time (thank God I wasn't) there is NO WAY I would have been able to move out of the way of such a fast flying helicopter. When they are that low, by the way, you don't hear them coming like you do when then are higher up. Each time (this happened on 3 separate occasions) it scared the crap out of me as it was totally unexpected. The helicopter had no visible markings, but a professional helicopter pilot friend of mine happened to be in the neighborhood and he was able to identify the company and I called them. They refused to call me back or discuss the matter. The "grey area" in helicopter regulations allows them to get away with almost anything and the lack of visible numbering makes it hard to identify the pilot. I have a nice set of photos (but just my phone) to prove this happened. I very clearly informed them (via a message) that I frequently fly my drone in that area commonly between the ground and 200 feet and sometimes up to 400 feet and I respectfully asked them to stop the low-level high-speed passes. Who knows if they will comply.
I'm no pilot expert, but if I had to guess I'd say that you are way overexaggerating. I had to Google a few things before I found this video

It shows a Ukrainian military copter flying well below 80 feet at extreme speeds over a highway so its definitely possible, but seeing as this is a private company that you are referring to I'm calling BS.

Also, you are in the United States and I'd imagine that the FCC would immediately investigate a company that is allowing their pilots to fly so low over a residential area.

It just doesn't make sense that you are saying a helicopter is flying below the tree line. It seems exceptionally dangerous and what is the point? If you have pictures then post them because I know that I'm not the only one on this sub that is going to suspect your lying.

Edit: reread your post just in case I missed something. Didn't realize that they were only flying under 80 in front of your house (the ocean) and over 100 ft actually over top of your house. I'm still calling BS as there is literally no point in flying so low. The point of being in a helicopter is to get a bird's eye view and 100 ft up seems really sketchy.

Dude, I DON'T exaggerate but for doubting Thomases like you I included the fact that a professional helicopter pilot witnessed it too. But keep shooting people down for sharing true stories. It's really valuable for the conversation.

Dude, I DON'T exaggerate but for doubting Thomases like you I included the fact that a professional helicopter pilot witnessed it too. But keep shooting people down for sharing true stories. It's really valuable for the conversation.
I'm not shooting anybody down. It's the internet though so I am a bit skeptical. Regardless, you said you had photos so post them and prove me wrong. If the company isn't getting back to you via phone/email I would drive down in person assuming it isn't extremely far away.

I'm not shooting anybody down. It's the internet though so I am a bit skeptical. Regardless, you said you had photos so post them and prove me wrong. If the company isn't getting back to you via phone/email I would drive down in person assuming it isn't extremely far away.
Seriously? He lives on an island in the ocean.

Technically, we all live on an island in the ocean..... :D
Ours is just waaayyy bigger than his.

Reactions: Tinmania
Let’s see the pics? I’m curious what kind of helicopter it is

I'm no pilot expert, but if I had to guess I'd say that you are way overexaggerating. I had to Google a few things before I found this video

It shows a Ukrainian military copter flying well below 80 feet at extreme speeds over a highway so its definitely possible, but seeing as this is a private company that you are referring to I'm calling BS.

Also, you are in the United States and I'd imagine that the FCC would immediately investigate a company that is allowing their pilots to fly so low over a residential area.

It just doesn't make sense that you are saying a helicopter is flying below the tree line. It seems exceptionally dangerous and what is the point? If you have pictures then post them because I know that I'm not the only one on this sub that is going to suspect your lying.

Edit: reread your post just in case I missed something. Didn't realize that they were only flying under 80 in front of your house (the ocean) and over 100 ft actually over top of your house. I'm still calling BS as there is literally no point in flying so low. The point of being in a helicopter is to get a bird's eye view and 100 ft up seems really sketchy.
I believe you ARE mistaken, it's FAA, not FCC that regulates the US airspace. [emoji12]

Reactions: black_magic100

You do realize that you MUST yield right-of-way to manned aircrafts, right? If they strike your drone, it's your fault because ultimately they have right-of-way and you do not, ESPECIALLY if you're a hobbyist. If they are actually breaking the law, you can contact the FAA, but don't get your hopes up. And, most importantly, get the hell out of the way if you hear a helicopter while flying your drone.

Seriously? He lives on an island in the ocean.
I'm confused.. why does that matter? That's assuming the helicopter took off from a different island. That is what I would do if I were in OP's shoes. Go down in person and explain that they could seriously hurt somebody or even themselves because he flies drones in that area.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78