DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low Satellite Fix Count on Smart Controller

adammhaile

Reactions
First note: I'm *only* talking about the Smart Controller itself in this case.
I just got the SC and am using it with an MA2. Controls it just fine and can fly without issue. After opening DJI Fly it quickly will show 12+ satellites fixed.
However, I noticed that on the map in DJI Fly the RC position way off.... 50-100ft sometimes. Which, of course, makes it such that the "aircraft orientation" display in the bottom middle of the UI is all kinds of wonky in terms of showing that the MA2 is behind me when it's in front, or similar.

So, I installed an Android app I've used for a long time called "GPS Status & Toolbox" and went outside. Drone shows 13 satellites fixed. My phone shows 14 fixed. The SC shows **3** satellites fixed :( It bounces back and forth between 2 and 3 fixed which is obviously not enough to high accuracy. I've tried going into "Location" settings and setting it to each of the 3 difference accuracy options.
I've used the aforementioned app to clear the AGPS data and reload it. I've waited outside for 30 minutes. But it never goes above 3 fixed.

Any thoughts what I might be doing wrong? It's not the end of the world but pretty annoying since the stock MA2 controller with my phone is better at showing my orientation to the drone than the very expensive SC :/

Last edited:
First note: I'm *only* talking about the Smart Controller itself in this case.
I just got the SC and am using it with an MA2. Controls it just fine and can fly without issue. After opening DJI Fly it quickly will show 12+ satellites fixed.
However, I noticed that on the map in DJI Fly the RC position way off.... 50-100ft sometimes. Which, of course, makes it such that the "aircraft orientation" display in the bottom middle of the UI is all kinds of wonky in terms of showing that the MA2 is behind me when it's in front, or similar.

So, I installed an Android app I've used for a long time called "GPS Status & Toolbox" and went outside. Drone shows 13 satellites fixed. My phone shows 14 fixed. The SC shoes **3** satellites fixed :( It bounces back and forth between 2 and 3 fixed which is obviously not enough to high accuracy. I've tried going into "Location" settings and setting it to each of the 3 difference accuracy options.
I've used the aforementioned app to clear the AGPS data and reload it. I've waited outside for 30 minutes. But it never goes above 3 fixed.

Any thoughts what I might be doing wrong? It's not the end of the world but pretty annoying since the stock MA2 controller with my phone is better at showing my orientation to the drone than the very expensive SC :/
I wouldn't even bother trouble shooting and delay, box it up and return for replacemnt. My SC is flawless in that respect. I show 17 satellites on average and my position is spot on. Your close enough to me you should be seeing the same, especially given all other results you shared. something isn't right internal..Just get another. :)

Reactions: Thomas B
I wouldn't even bother trouble shooting and delay, box it up and return for replacemnt. My SC is flawless in that respect. I show 17 satellites on average and my position is spot on. Your close enough to me you should be seeing the same, especially given all other results you shared. something isn't right internal..Just get another. :)
Fair enough - just curious, what tool are you using to show the satellite fix count on the SC? Just to rule out that the tool I'm using is incompatible and it's all a red herring.

Fair enough - just curious, what tool are you using to show the satellite fix count on the SC? Just to rule out that the tool I'm using is incompatible and it's all a red herring.
I actually retracted that post..I read your post wrong as It doesn't seem to be the SC, it might just be it's software..not sure why it posted when I erased...but I just know my SC shows normal sats and position. You could return it or resetting it to stock and reloading latest firmware. Your choice, sorry for the confusion. I have never had a issue so I never got any software to troubleshoot a problem I don't have? :p

I actually retracted that post..I read your post wrong as It doesn't seem to be the SC, it might just be it's software..not sure why it posted when I erased...but I just know my SC shows normal sats and position. You could return it or resetting it to stock and reloading latest firmware. Your choice, sorry for the confusion. I have never had a issue so I never got any software to troubleshoot a problem I don't have? :p
I'll still contact DJI support and see if they have thoughts. It is a brand new SC and I immediately upgraded the firmware (so it would support the MA2) and nothing else has been done to it.
But given that non-DJI software also shows poor GPS fix I still kinda wonder if it's either hardware or something wrong with the base SC firmware.

I'll still contact DJI support and see if they have thoughts. It is a brand new SC and I immediately upgraded the firmware (so it would support the MA2) and nothing else has been done to it.
But given that non-DJI software also shows poor GPS fix I still kinda wonder if it's either hardware or something wrong with the base SC firmware.
Well the satellite fix is aircraft side and has nothing to do with the SC as far as DJI. Unless of course the software isn't reporting correctly what the aircraft is telling it?

Reactions: DanMan32
Well the satellite fix is aircraft side and has nothing to do with the SC as far as DJI. Unless of course the software isn't reporting correctly what the aircraft is telling it?
For the drone itself yes - but the remote control location on the map (and what would be used if you updated your return to home location mid flight) is, as far as I can tell, coming from the SC itself. With the normal RC it would be coming from my phone which works fine. But on the SC it's supposed to have it's own internal GPS receiver and that's what I'm having a problem with.

I get that what you probably mean here is that you had no problem seeing the satellites being fixed from the drone itself. And that's fine - that part works fine for me too.... but, to be clear, the problem is that the SC doesn't known where **it** is. So if, for example, I did tell it to set the new home position as the current SC position, it would be wrong. I actually tried this and the drone landed about 75ft from me.

It also screws with the aircraft orientation indicator - let's say that I loose sight of the drone and I want to see where it is on the SC to at least give me a general idea of where to look. On the SC it might tell me the drone is right in front of me when in reality it's off to my left. I realize that can also have to do with the compass but I've calibrated that and it's spot on with what my phone compass says. Whereas I can look at the map in DJI Fly on the SC and on my phone and the two pinpointed locations will be 50-100 feet apart.

I hope that makes sense.

Okay now I get you, so yeah, that part works fine on mine too. But I haven't tested it other that RTH and it lands right on top of me, so perhaps there is a problem with your SC then? Maybe a weak connection on the GPS internal systems on the SC... deal with DJI and see what they say..me I would just get a new one, and if second was no better for you then decide to keep or not?

Last edited:
Okay now I get you, so yeah, that part works fine on mine too. But I haven't tested it other that RTH and it lands right on top of me, so perhaps there is a problem with your SC then? Maybe a weak connection on the GPS internal systems on the SC... deal with DJI and see what they say..me I would just get a new one, and if second was no better for you then decide to keep or not?
Yep - I'll have a chat with them on Monday when their tech support is open again. Thanks :)

GPS Status & Toolbox is a very good app to reliably show what sats the GPS reciever is connecting to.
If it's only showing 3 sats, that's all the GPS receiver is seeing.

Just to eliminate the obvious because I didn't see in your posts, you do have the SC outdoors where it gets an unobstructed view of most of the sky?

Just to eliminate the obvious because I didn't see in your posts, you do have the SC outdoors where it gets an unobstructed view of most of the sky?
Yup, waited outside (in the middle of my 1 acre yard with no tree cover) for about 30 minutes and it never went above 3 satellites. Whereas my phone showed between 12 and 18 that whole time.

Yup, waited outside (in the middle of my 1 acre yard with no tree cover) for about 30 minutes and it never went above 3 satellites. Whereas my phone showed between 12 and 18 that whole time.
It's a little odd that it sees three sats rather than lots or none, but everything you've checked indicates a problem with the SC itself.

I'm back..for a second..how do I put this third party app (GPS thing) on my device (SC) do I google it and just download the apk and then side load it? Or do I have to have google play and all that crap?

Last edited:
The reason for the orientation indicator being off is because of the compass on the SC being out of calibration. That's common with Android based systems where SC is Android. Just do a figure 8 with the SC or rotate it on all 3 axes.

Say you're facing north and the AC is to your left in the west. Say the SC thinks you're facing east. It will show the AC behind you since that's where it thinks is.

But I suppose if app is reporting the SC"s position wrong, that could show the orientation wrong.

By default, home point is set to the takeoff point as determined by the AC"s GPS.

By default, home point is set to the takeoff point as determined by the AC"s GPS.
That we know, it's that his SC internal GPS is showing off when his app is displaying controller position. It is only showing 2-3 Sats locked on GPS CS side. trying to figure out if his SC GPS is wonky or if the SC GPS is just junk by default now. Thus I am thinking of loading his 3rd party app to see what mine reports, as my RTH to controller (SC) works fine. But SC doesn't report Satt strength by default.

Okay I am in my bedroom in PJ's :rolleyes: to cold to go outside..I had error (Bottom left) show 1.4 M for a bit, but couldn't remember how to screenshot fast enough...anyway inside I am showing 6 locked of 24...So double what you got. Now what? Looks to be yours might be a bit wonky or weak? I mean 6 is pretty good for inside...my M2Z sometimes gets a GPS lock in here but Mostly not unless I have curtains open, which now they are not. :)

Attachments

• GPS Error.jpg
    GPS Error.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member