DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low Satellite Fix Count on Smart Controller

I'm back..for a second..how do I put this third party app (GPS thing) on my device (SC) do I google it and just download the apk and then side load it? Or do I have to have google play and all that crap?
I just downloaded the APK from apkmirror.com (from the browser on the SC) and then installed it. It's unlocked.
You can also install the Amazon app store (that's how you'd get Litchi) and I've seen you can install the Google store but I have not tried it.

I just downloaded the APK from apkmirror.com (from the browser on the SC) and then installed it. It's unlocked.
You can also install the Amazon app store (that's how you'd get Litchi) and I've seen you can install the Google store but I have not tried it.
I just got it from apk mirror site and side loaded it...see my post #20.

That's common with Android based systems where SC is Android. Just do a figure 8 with the SC or rotate it on all 3 axes.
Yeah - that's kind of a different problem. Once I calibrate the compass that seems fine.... for awhile at least. Hard to explain but I have narrowed it down to it being an issue with my position being way off. With the compass calibrated, as long as the drone is 150 ft or more away from me it's spot on. But within a ~100ft radius it's wrong, because the SC position is wrong.

.I had error (Bottom left) show 1.4 M for a bit, but couldn't remember how to screenshot fast enough...anyway inside I am showing 6 locked of 24...So double what you got. Now what?
Yeah, that's way better than what I have. My error typically says 20-30 meters.
Weird thing - I checked again just now and even though I'm inside it's showing 6 satellites.... gonna pop outside and see what I can get.

Yeah, that's way better than what I have. My error typically says 20-30 meters.
Weird thing - I checked again just now and even though I'm inside it's showing 6 satellites.... gonna pop outside and see what I can get.
So, yeah - it bumped up to 8 satellites when I went outside with an error of 4m. Which I admit is way better. But my phone was getting 21 satellites and error of 0.5m

So, yeah - it bumped up to 8 satellites when I went outside with an error of 4m. Which I admit is way better. But my phone was getting 21 satellites and error of 0.5m
Kinda odd that I have 6 and 1.4m error and you have 8 and 4 m error..... no? Anyway, I don't think there is anything really wrong with SC, as it is rcving sats and locking. I wonder where the sat rcv'r antenna is dead top or back side?

Kinda odd that I have 6 and 1.4m error and you have 8 and 4 m error..... no? Anyway, I don't think there is anything really wrong with SC, as it is rcving sats and locking. I wonder where the sat rcv'r antenna is dead top or back side?
Maybe? Not sure - depends on which satellites you are connected to I guess?

I must have got crossed wires here...... ?
Ive had the SC for a week. But one thing i did do was watch loads of youtube videos. And One thing that I did learn was that the SC doesnt have GPS, UNLESS its connected to a smart phone. The RTH works as already stated, From the drone on take off.

I must have got crossed wires here...... ?
Ive had the SC for a week. But one thing i did do was watch loads of youtube videos. And One thing that I did learn was that the SC doesnt have GPS, UNLESS its connected to a smart phone. The RTH works as already stated, From the drone on take off.

The SC is the "Smart Controller" which is like the MA2 remote controller but with an Android device built in and it mostly certainly has GPS built in. There's no pairing to a smart phone needed like with the normal remote controller. That's the entire point of the Smart Controller. That and it has an incredibly bright LCD screen.

You can certainly connect to a WiFi hotspot from your phone so that you have internet access on it while away from home but that doesn't give it GPS. I know I just got my SC as well but I promise you it has built in GPS :)

1606769926608.png

I must have misinterpreted what I thought Id seen. This is good news as I was under the impression it didnt.
So quick question. It can follow the SC ?

Not that I'm aware of. Only follow mode I've seen is "ActiveTrack" which is a visual system.
I've not been able to get it to just follow the remote itself (which would've been problematic anyways since the remote wasn't where it thought it was).

I'd be very happy to be proven wrong though. That would be cool

Update: I talked to DJI support and they are sending me a new unit. Will let y'all know how it goes with the new one.

I must have misinterpreted what I thought Id seen. This is good news as I was under the impression it didnt.
I don't know of any DJI that has follow command that will work with the SC...but if you want to tell a M2 or MA2 to RTH to controller (SC) yes it will work. Do it all the time. Follow up...on mine I used that GPS software today on my deck and got 8 satellites on mine, showed error of .4 meter :) Why don't you go back and look at this thread again and put the "GPS Status & Toolbox App" on your SC and tell us what yours reports for lock and accuracy?

Last edited:
According to this old post, we have a new app update coming in a day or two?

According to this old post, we have a new app update coming in a day or two?

Hmm interesting. That looks like DJI Go - maybe they'll update DJI Fly too.

First note: I'm *only* talking about the Smart Controller itself in this case.
I just got the SC and am using it with an MA2. Controls it just fine and can fly without issue. After opening DJI Fly it quickly will show 12+ satellites fixed.
However, I noticed that on the map in DJI Fly the RC position way off.... 50-100ft sometimes. Which, of course, makes it such that the "aircraft orientation" display in the bottom middle of the UI is all kinds of wonky in terms of showing that the MA2 is behind me when it's in front, or similar.

So, I installed an Android app I've used for a long time called "GPS Status & Toolbox" and went outside. Drone shows 13 satellites fixed. My phone shows 14 fixed. The SC shows **3** satellites fixed :( It bounces back and forth between 2 and 3 fixed which is obviously not enough to high accuracy. I've tried going into "Location" settings and setting it to each of the 3 difference accuracy options.
I've used the aforementioned app to clear the AGPS data and reload it. I've waited outside for 30 minutes. But it never goes above 3 fixed.

Any thoughts what I might be doing wrong? It's not the end of the world but pretty annoying since the stock MA2 controller with my phone is better at showing my orientation to the drone than the very expensive SC :/
Me too. SC and GPS. I’m always careful to see the GPS blue dot on the map and the yellow ‘H’ when lifting off. (It took me a couple of the steps below to get it through my noggin that the blue dot is GPS of the controller and the yellow H is home point of the aircraft’s GPS take off location.) When I noticed this inconsistent on my SC, I went nuts on DJI support chat. Following Chat Tech’s instructions I sent the M2P in and they replaced it. No change. Back to Support chat. Next I sent in the M2P and the SC. They replaced the bird with yet another new one. And I noticed they never powered up the SC. Duh! Finally, your post thread confirms my thinking that it’s a SC GPS problem. I’ll go back on DJI chat Monday, and see if they ask me to send it in. (I like the idea of buying a new one and compare, but that’s kind of extravagant.... ) Good luck.

Me too. SC and GPS. I’m always careful to see the GPS blue dot on the map and the yellow ‘H’ when lifting off. (It took me a couple of the steps below to get it through my noggin that the blue dot is GPS of the controller and the yellow H is home point of the aircraft’s GPS take off location.) When I noticed this inconsistent on my SC, I went nuts on DJI support chat. Following Chat Tech’s instructions I sent the M2P in and they replaced it. No change. Back to Support chat. Next I sent in the M2P and the SC. They replaced the bird with yet another new one. And I noticed they never powered up the SC. Duh! Finally, your post thread confirms my thinking that it’s a SC GPS problem. I’ll go back on DJI chat Monday, and see if they ask me to send it in. (I like the idea of buying a new one and compare, but that’s kind of extravagant.... ) Good luck.
Ha, yeah - I think I just lucked out that I happened to be playing with it *without* my MA2 even turned on and noticed how bad the GPS fix was, so started digging into that. When I talked to DJI chat support they had a replacement setup within 10 min. Didn't take any convincing. I'll let you know when I get it back.

Got my new SC today (finally! Got lost in UPS for weeks)
So, loaded it up, updated the firmware to latest, and haven't even paired with my MA2 yet. Installed "GPS Test" and was able to pretty quickly get it to fix on 7 to 8 satellites with a positional error of < 4ft.
Still not as good as the satellite fix count on my phone (or the MA2 itself) but I think at this point I'm going to assume that:
1) mobile phones have some extra GPS magic that has to do with also having a cell tower connection allowing it to show way more satellites than is probably real (It also shows more "visible" satellites and I half think that some of those are actually cell towers)
2) The MA2 likely has a better GPS receiver. Which - I admit probably makes sense. It's SUPER important that the drone knows exactly where it is but less so that the SC does. So they saved some cost with a lesser component. Granted, for how much the SC costs, DJI should really have an awesome GPS receiver in there! Especially when my $300 phone absolutely crushes it on satellite fixes.

Will take the drone out soon - but already it seems like it will be a lot better.

So, loaded it up, updated the firmware to latest, and haven't even paired with my MA2 yet. Installed "GPS Test" and was able to pretty quickly get it to fix on 7 to 8 satellites with a positional error of < 4ft.
Are you outdoors where the SC can get a good view of most of the sky?

I'm going to assume that:

1) mobile phones have some extra GPS magic that has to do with also having a cell tower connection allowing it to show way more satellites than is probably real (It also shows more "visible" satellites and I half think that some of those are actually cell towers)
Phones can't use cell tower magic to show more satellites and they don't show cell towers as satellites.

Are you outdoors where the SC can get a good view of most of the sky?
Of course :)

Phones can't use cell tower magic to show more satellites

I would disagree. For one, they can get their location (at least very roughly) purely based on cell tower connections. The handshake with a cell tower includes the coordinates of the tower itself. It can triangulate based on multiple towers. There's also AGPS (which the above is part of) where it can get satellite info from a network connection - this really shouldn't be an advantage since the SC was also on WiFi at the time and *should* have access to the same data.
There's also the fact that the SC only shows 20 satellites as being "visible" (even though they aren't fixed) whereas my phone shows 30 (this is why I was speculating on the towers-as-satellites thing). So clearly the phone knows something the SC doesn't. Both are Android devices, the only difference between them really being that the phone has a cellular connection. Well, and the fact that the GPS receiver in the phone is tiny but the one in the SC is quite large - you'd think the larger one would work better. This is what makes me think that the phone is augmenting things with the extra hardware that the SC lacks - even if the GPS specific hardware in the SC *should* be better.
Granted - I 100% expect that if you dropped off the SC and my phone in the remote wilderness that the SC would get a satellite fix WAY before the phone would, if ever.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22