DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lume Cube Strobe Anti-Collision Lights

Anyways 1 minute ago I just ordered 1... I fly a lot at night so it's justified to unload a half a Benjamin

No, I have several types of lighting I use on the M2Z, MA,Spark, MPP, and the Autel Evo.. I say 40% of flying is done at night so I'm well versed with lighting. And for the Strobe part, I have several types there also. Now I have a LumeCube strobe coming soon.

They claim you can see them over 3 miles, do you agree with that claim?

Ehhh... maybe if there were no other lights. But under NVGs a moving drone, with a red cover, blinking away, I'd bet I'd see it at a mile with no problem.

Considering I've had to react to a bird spotted well inside a mile and not hit it that could be a satisfactory distance.

silverdragon said:
They claim you can see them over 3 miles, do you agree with that claim?
Starz said:
Waiting for this answer.
---------------------------------------
If you're talking about daytime, the answer is no (this goes for all products). At nighttime, all Lume products can be seen to 3 miles IF they are positioned correctly. Attitude and viewing direction will alter how well you see the lights. I've had the best results on the Mavic using 4 strobes:

- White Arc 2 (quad LED strobe) on top-forward on fast strobe.

- On the sides of the Mavic: a red strobe for port side , a green for starboard side. If you are using the Arc 1 or Arc 2, or Lume strobes you can set these to steady burn although the run time is greatly diminished. I just set them on fast flash.

- White Arc 1 (dual strobe) on the very rear. NOTE: You want this on backside, not top/rear.

At night, this set-up will give you 360 degree visibility and let you see the orientation of the aircraft for up to 2-3 miles. I'll post pics if anyone wants to see the rig.

Reactions: ohaeman
Starz said:
Waiting for this answer.
---------------------------------------
If you're talking about daytime, the answer is no (this goes for all products). At nighttime, all Lume products can be seen to 3 miles IF they are positioned correctly. Attitude and viewing direction will alter how well you see the lights. I've had the best results on the Mavic using 4 strobes:

- White Arc 2 (quad LED strobe) on top-forward on fast strobe.

- On the sides of the Mavic: a red strobe for port side , a green for starboard side. If you are using the Arc 1 or Arc 2, or Lume strobes you can set these to steady burn although the run time is greatly diminished. I just set them on fast flash.

- White Arc 1 (dual strobe) on the very rear. NOTE: You want this on backside, not top/rear.

At night, this set-up will give you 360 degree visibility and let you see the orientation of the aircraft for up to 2-3 miles. I'll post pics if anyone wants to see the rig.
I would like to see your rig...

No, I have several types of lighting I use on the M2Z, MA,Spark, MPP, and the Autel Evo.. I say 40% of flying is done at night so I'm well versed with lighting. And for the Strobe part, I have several types there also. Now I have a LumeCube strobe coming soon.
Was more interested in what other strobe light you have used.

Another low cost source for lights and the DIY set would be your local bicycle shop. In 2010 I had a pair of very small blinking, red LED lights that were far smaller than these. Bicyclists are also seeking bright lights that are small and lightweight. Found this thing after a few seconds of searching thru the series of tubes. “Hey you in the Yuneec, pull it over !"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 07.53.39.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 07.53.39.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 24
Fact about NVGs -- red lights are by far the most visible to people wearing NVGs.

A red LED vs a blue LED is more visible in NVGs, yes. But putting a red filter on a white light doesn't suddenly make it more visible to people wearing NVGs; you're just eliminating part of the emitted spectrum.

A red LED vs a blue LED is more visible in NVGs, yes. But putting a red filter on a white light doesn't suddenly make it more visible to people wearing NVGs; you're just eliminating part of the emitted spectrum.

You are incorrect. The red wavelengths are amplified in the "image intensifier" of an NVG to a greater degree than other wavelengths. This amplification is then further enhanced as the image passes through the micro-plate and is processed and beamed across the phosphor Since the only light in this scenario is red-light the overall amplification of light is greater than a full spectrum white-light.

Further, blue-light (actually a specific frequency of blue/green) is gated in the micro-plate to not be enhanced at all, the NVG is blind to it. NVG compatible instrument lighting in a modern military aircraft emits in this same wavelength so as to not interfere with the NVGs.

NVG are not binoculars that just uses lenses to focus an image. NVG are processors that amplify available light.

Another low cost source for lights and the DIY set would be your local bicycle shop."

I thought about that myself. I've a really nice Blackburn seat light that is bright enough for day riding. But it seems a lot more directional than the Luma light.

You are incorrect. The red wavelengths are amplified in the "image intensifier" of an NVG to a greater degree than other wavelengths. This amplification is then further enhanced as the image passes through the micro-plate and is processed and beamed across the phosphor Since the only light in this scenario is red-light the overall amplification of light is greater than a full spectrum white-light.

Further, blue-light (actually a specific frequency of blue/green) is gated in the micro-plate to not be enhanced at all, the NVG is blind to it. NVG compatible instrument lighting in a modern military aircraft emits in this same wavelength so as to not interfere with the NVGs.

NVG are not binoculars that just uses lenses to focus an image. NVG are processors that amplify available light.

And in this case those red wavelengths are ALREADY PRESENT in the white light. Filtering the other wavelengths out with a red filter doesn't make the NVGs amplify the remaining red wavelengths more. There's just less blue there for them to ignore.

I doubt anyone thinks NVGs are binoculars, or that they don't process light in a complex way.

Has anyone purchased these yet? If so, do you like them? Are they bright like some of their competitors? I guess the real question is ARE they worth its weight in gold?
I get this question a lot, I just got done filming a comparison of the 3 highest rated strobes on the market, the Lume Cube came in last. I rated these strobe:
1st Place: Firehouse Technology ARC II - Strobe Mount for them HERE
2nd Place: Firehouse Technology Lighting - Strobe Mount for them HERE
3rd Place: Lume Cube Anti-Collision Strobe - Strobe Mount for them HERE
As soon as I get the footage edited I'll post it here.

We do offer strobe mounts for all the strobes listed above, I've included a link to each above.
1565657369858.png

Because I already a red and green Strobon strobes, I purchased a white Lime strobe, which I installed on top, in the front. The idea was that I would see the red/green when the aircraft is flying away from me, and I would see the white strobe when facing me.

It did not work:

- The Lume strobes are just not as bright as the other strobes on the market, like the Strobon for example.
- The Lume strobes are designed to be seen from the top. So If I am flying toward me in sport mode, this is when the drone is at such an angle, that it is possible to see the top of it, and therefore see the Lume strobe. But in normal flying with a pitch angle more flat, I actually can not see the Lume strobe, certainly not in daytime anyway.

Overall, I do not think it was worth the money.

Because I already a red and green Strobon strobes, I purchased a white Lime strobe, which I installed on top, in the front. The idea was that I would see the red/green when the aircraft is flying away from me, and I would see the white strobe when facing me.

It did not work:

- The Lume strobes are just not as bright as the other strobes on the market, like the Strobon for example.
- The Lume strobes are designed to be seen from the top. So If I am flying toward me in sport mode, this is when the drone is at such an angle, that it is possible to see the top of it, and therefore see the Lume strobe. But in normal flying with a pitch angle more flat, I actually can not see the Lume strobe, certainly not in daytime anyway.

Overall, I do not think it was worth the money.
Right now the biggest bang for your buck is the Firehouse Technology Lightning strobe. Firehouse has them on sale for $24.95 US on their website HERE They are almost as bright as the ARC II's at night and actually seem brighter than the ARC II's during the day. Right now the ARC II can't be beat in the overall brightness category but they sell from $36 to $40 each.

I get this question a lot, I just got done filming a comparison of the 3 highest rated strobes on the market, the Lume Cube came in last. I rated these strobe:
1st Place: Firehouse Technology ARC II - Strobe Mount for them HERE
2nd Place: Firehouse Technology Lighting - Strobe Mount for them HERE
3rd Place: Lume Cube Anti-Collision Strobe - Strobe Mount for them HERE
As soon as I get the footage edited I'll post it here.

We do offer strobe mounts for all the strobes listed above, I've included a link to each above.
View attachment 79511
Do you do Phantom 3 mounts for the Strobon strobes?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore