DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lume Strobe

I’m gonna stick with my firehouse strobes right now I think they are the better ones out there right now. If there’s anything else out there even abroad that might be better please let us know, thank you.

Looks like you’d need one for the top and one for the bottom to actually gain visibility to both pilot and other air traffic

Top front like in the picture, but not bottom for the 2nd: You want to put it on the very back so you can still see when the Mavic is hovering. Just like the "landing light" on the Mavic 2: It's only useful if you are directly below for flying away from you. Just like life: It's all about attitude. :p

Reactions: Lbesing
That 3M adhesive works great on the Mavic Wet Suits, will be taking it for a spin latter today in the fog. Should be interesting.

Phatomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.
Coal

You guys are in the wrong hobby of you think $50 is too expensive. Wait awhile and I’m sure you can get a used one.
Been in the hobby over 10 years and $50 is way too expensive. Add to that, the fact that at max brightness the strobe draws so much power the "non-replacable" battery can only power it for 30 min max. Even with the thermal shut down feature advertised, 4 COB led's get VERY hot in 30 minutes time.

Reactions: Ramboat
I would agree that these definitely look more finished and overall nicer than the Firehouse or Strobon LED's that are currently available. I have original Lume Cubes to fly around at night with and single LED Strobob Cree's so am not in a real hurry to get these, but they do look good. There was a post on these a couple weeks ago and I just assumed they would be a little smaller but didn't realize they had 4 LEDs in each. Curious to the reviews. Keep us posted!!

Agreed. I mean they look really nice, if big, but they seem to do the job. I too use a Cree Strobon LED which are tiny in comparison but still ge tthe job done.
My only concerns with the Lume strobes are 1) size (it's huge compared to a Strobon 2) price (as per most things Lume, it's priced at $150-ish). When you can get a Cree Strobon for $20 or so + shipping it makes the Lume strobe mighty expensive.

Fantastic, been waiting for this for a long time. Just ordered

That low strobe is going to be a nice feature.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in and out of the storm.
No they really arent that fantastic. I got more complaints with my lume cube on then off. So word of advise, unless you absolutely need them to fly in our out of whatever condition you're flying in, i would highly recommend flying as stealth as possible and as high altitude as possible - or you will trust me,, be asking for trouble.

No they really arent that fantastic. I got more complaints with my lume cube on then off. So word of advise, unless you absolutely need them to fly in our out of whatever condition you're flying in, i would highly recommend flying as stealth as possible and as high altitude as possible - or you will trust me,, be asking for trouble.

Ohhhh that is exactly the problem I had with the lume cubes , which i was I was hoping that this would be toned down version with the slow strobe. I will be trying it out in about hour . I know all to well the trouble bright lights cause , so glad to see I am not the only one that realizes it. Thank you.

I prefer the Firehouse ARC2s. One on each rear arm and one on each front leg. Use colors per standard aircraft lighting. I have them in Aerial Pixel mounts (hate Velcro).
The four lights... brightest available as shown by testing... are available from firehouse for under $100 a set of 4. I have been using mine for six months, 3-4x/week. No antenna problems. Visibility is about 1.5 miles innAZ midday sun and about 2-2.5 miles at dawn and dusk. 15 - 20 seconds to attach to my drone. Last through 8-10 batteries.

Visibility is about 1.5 miles innAZ midday sun

Sorry that's not accurate. The Arc II's are only good for about 1/2 mile in the mid-day sun - no further than VLOS of the drone itself. Maybe you can get a bit beyond that. But no where near a full mile, and certainly not 1.5 miles in broad daylight. Twilight and after dark is another story...

Sorry that's not accurate. The Arc II's are only good for about 1/2 mile in the mid-day sun - no further than VLOS of the drone itself. Maybe you can get a bit beyond that. But no where near a full mile, and certainly not 1.5 miles in broad daylight. Twilight and after dark is another story...
sorry... fat fingered it. Was supposed to be 0.5 miles in midday sun.

sorry... fat fingered it. Was supposed to be 0.5 miles in midday sun.

Yeah that's more like it. The only light I have found to be visible beyond a mile in broad daylight is the spotlight on the Mavic 2 Enterprise. If it's aimed right, you can see that well over a mile in the mid-day sun., Looks like a bright flare when it's crossing the sky!

Reactions: Thomas B
Preparing for Take off at dawn. That top position is going to limit the view , the question is how much as I also want to be able to see the drone as well as airplanes seeing it. Hoping for 2500 ft as is. Might be to much to ask from this position.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain
Maker of the Lunar Landing Pad.

Preparing for Take off at dawn. That top position is going to limit the view , the question is how much as I also want to be able to see the drone as well as airplanes seeing it. Hoping for 2500 ft as is. Might be to much to ask from this position.

That light placement is great for warning other AC or seeing it yourself on RTH. But when you're flying away from home, that light won't help a bit (unless you fly backwards). If you put it on the very back (back-back, not top/back - just below the sensor) you'll be able to see it going away from home AND coming back. If you put it in sport mode coming back you'll be able to see it even better. :D

Very interested in seeing how much diffusion those filters offer. That will really help get a wider angle of light dispersion. Interested in hearing you results - mine should be here Monday! Thumbswayup

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
That light placement is great for warning other AC or seeing it yourself on RTH. But when you're flying away from home, that light won't help a bit (unless you fly backwards). If you put it on the very back (back-back, not top/back - just below the sensor) you'll be able to see it going away from home AND coming back. If you put it in sport mode coming back you'll be able to see it even better. :D

Very interested in seeing how much diffusion those filters offer. That will really help get a wider angle of light dispersion. Interested in hearing you results - mine should be here Monday! Thumbswayup

Im going to fly the Phantom 4 sky high for a bit just to look down at the lume strobe on the Mavic to get a sense of that airplane view . Than I will place it on the tail as that seems a bettery option an see if that offers any viewing from the sky as this system just seems to be lacking two more lights really thus the 3 pack they offer.

I prefer the Firehouse ARC2s. One on each rear arm and one on each front leg. Use colors per standard aircraft lighting. I have them in Aerial Pixel mounts (hate Velcro).
The four lights... brightest available as shown by testing... are available from firehouse for under $100 a set of 4. I have been using mine for six months, 3-4x/week. No antenna problems. Visibility is about 0.5 miles in AZ midday sun and about 2-2.5 miles at dawn and dusk. 15 - 20 seconds to attach to my drone. Last through 8-10 batteries.

One reservation I have about the Aerial Pixel mounts is that they take up space on the arms (obviously), which limits the number/size of other accessories that can be attached at the same time. Specifically, with these strobe mounts, can you still have landing gear extensions, and prop guards? I have PGYTECH extensions, and the DJI prop guards.

I currently have one white ARC2 on top, one red on bottom, attached with 3M Dual Lock. I'm considering getting Aerial Pixel for the front arms facing forward, and for the rear arms pointing to the rear.

One reservation I have about the Aerial Pixel mounts is that they take up space on the arms (obviously), which limits the number/size of other accessories that can be attached at the same time. Specifically, with these strobe mounts, can you still have landing gear extensions, and prop guards? I have PGYTECH extensions, and the DJI prop guards.

I currently have one white ARC2 on top, one red on bottom, attached with 3M Dual Lock. I'm considering getting Aerial Pixel for the front arms facing forward, and for the rear arms pointing to the rear.
I have PolarPro landing gear. No problems. Front ARC2 mounts fit right over them on the legs.
3E091FAC-C65F-475D-8FB1-3CA6BB06E95B.jpeg

Ken Heron did a video review and gave some away. People commented that they were way too expensive in the comment section. Seems like that sentiment if echoed here.

The cost of the light is a bit pricey given the other options. However, as I understand, this is the only light that covers the 3SM and viewable 360 degree requirements. My hang up is the current mounting system.

I know the velcro tape works well. What I don't care for is how the velcro impacts the look of the drone when the light is not attached.

The mounts for the firehouse lights, for example, are removable, but they are costly as well. As an aside, I do recognize this hobby can be expensive and as such I'm trying to make my dollar stretch.

Why does it seem like these companies are willing to make a good product and then skimp on the method of application?

Im going to fly the Phantom 4 sky high for a bit just to look down at the lume strobe on the Mavic to get a sense of that airplane view . Than I will place it on the tail as that seems a bettery option an see if that offers any viewing from the sky as this system just seems to be lacking two more lights really thus the 3 pack they offer.

Lume Strobe Results as I see them.

Ok the results were interesting :
Will update video after I edit , I got out a little more than 3400 ft out with some day light in the sky left as this for me was the best test.

You really cannot see the light when flying forward above you , however as mentioned by flyguy you can see it the minute you pull back on the sticks and this was flawless meaning it happens every time and you are greeted with a nice bright strobe that I could have pushed to 4000 maybe 4500 ft with a dusk sky .

When flying backward you can see the strobe all the way back, , all in all i was a nice surprise having that light coming back. Getting you to see it on video not so easy but will make an attempt. So that for me is a win as neighbors will not be to put off with that light as say others that are in your face constantly.

Now what did surprise me was how poorly my Phantom 4 Pro Plus could see the flashing light from above for the sake of all that is good a little above 400 ft ;)

Keep in mind this may look better on the Phantom 4 video than it did to my eye , which may be the case .

I tried the Red and Green but honestly that was the bigget let down as its just really white , which makes sense as they wanted to keep it brighter than more colorful.

I really love that they are stealth for people below and in apartments per say and yet with a pull back on the stick come into view .

Keep in mind I was only using the Strobe .

Notice the Sky and the Bright Star is the Lume Strobe at 3200 ft. Keep in mind that in the HOVER position you cannot see that strobe .

Notice the minute I fly backwards the Lume Dot gets brighter ! Its more drastic on the video of course.

Ok this gives you a good idea about how the red and green are novelty at best : Just not Red or Green for that matter,

Strobe did not effect video or pictures taken with the drone.

This is as far as I went 3640 ft out over the lake 100ft up when those flash Pictures above were taken of the strobe. just a frame of video

For me if this helps out planes that is great, and If i get my own benefits out of it as well its a win.
Its also enclosed and more weather resistant which is essential.

Sorry i did not see that ken had already posted his review.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain !
Maker of the Lunar Landing Pad for the Mavic Series drones.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife