DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lut assist, intelligent flight modes? Work arounds for lack of viewing lut?

mavicmaverick

Reactions
I didn't see any option to toggle lut assist on the RC pro when using d log. I figure that creating a version of DJI fly or go or whatever the app is called now that has the functionality of the Mavic pro series and not the watered-down Mavic air series that doesn't have a true log so they didn't have a proper viewing lut already in the app. I went from flying on a large ipad to the RC pro screen which I've been impressed with the improvements over previous iterations of smart controllers they have released in the past all of which I found far inferior in connectivity when compared with a stock controller and iPad but flying in a true log format is horrible, I have to toggle to photo all the time to check my composition and color saturation, WB, etc. There is no way any professional beta tester of this setup didn't immediately bring this to DJI's attention so I'm surprised they have not addressed that yet. I'm pretty sure I've been through the menu 9 times and did not see any option to add the lut assist if anyone does have a workaround I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking of running the video feed to Blackmagic video assist and either using a lut that works with a similar log file in the meantime.

Also the intelligent flight modes not being ready I don't understand, did they have a problem in testing and decide to withhold them until a proper fix could be made?

Your correct on the fact that there is no lut assist, its sadly missing could be part of the update were all waiting for.
There are a lot of threads on why they rushed the drone out before it should have been born, lol

Phanntomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 In the Rain and Protect your drone.

right on, I'm very happy to actually physically have it and get used to the drone and the footage while DJI works on a fix. Even though it said it was in stock at most places it seems like there was a supply chain hiccup that has led to a big backlog. I'll take a look around the forums

right on, I'm very happy to actually physically have it and get used to the drone and the footage while DJI works on a fix. Even though it said it was in stock at most places it seems like there was a supply chain hiccup that has led to a big backlog. I'll take a look around the forums
While using LUT's (The Film Poets) I am a Klutz. They do wonders I guess, but whenever I use them I get weird colors.

Dale

Hi there, I like film poets in a rush but usually just make my own in resolve, contrast and pivot correct the color in about 10 seconds then you can dial in your look. What I'm looking for is viewing lut so you can see an approximation of what the footage will look like after processing and it's hard to fly and compose a shot in flat log

Hi there, I like film poets in a rush but usually just make my own in resolve, contrast and pivot correct the color in about 10 seconds then you can dial in your look. What I'm looking for is viewing lut so you can see an approximation of what the footage will look like after processing and it's hard to fly and compose a shot in flat log
On my last video, I again tried using the Film Poet's LUTS. I tried Natural for the Mavic 2 Pro and lo and behold, it looked gorgeous! If you want to view it, I can re-submit to this forum or to you on PM.

Dale

That's very kind of you Dale but I already have those lut's, I like that they are more subtle than most. I took time during the lockdown to learn professional color grading using DaVinci Resolve and color control panel so I don't really use lut's anymore but thank you. If you're interested in having a little more control in your color I highly recommend color simplified.com's resolve training courses, he has a bunch of free ones on youtube as well I think his name is learncolorgrading.

That's very kind of you Dale but I already have those lut's, I like that they are more subtle than most. I took time during the lockdown to learn professional color grading using DaVinci Resolve and color control panel so I don't really use lut's anymore but thank you. If you're interested in having a little more control in your color I highly recommend color simplified.com's resolve training courses, he has a bunch of free ones on youtube as well I think his name is learncolorgrading.
Thanks, but I am "up to here" on photo software. I use the Adobe Suite with a 40% discount. I use Luminar 4, and I use NIK software. I cannot bear another learning curve at my age.

Wholly cow it hard to fly and make good decisions in DLOG without the enhanced image. Everything is so washed out. Missing my Mavic2 and Smart controller already!

Wholly cow it hard to fly and make good decisions in DLOG without the enhanced image. Everything is so washed out. Missing my Mavic2 and Smart controller already!
Using DLog is your choice. You can change the settings not to use it. I use it because I would rather have a "RAW" image that I can color adjust like I do with my photography. I would rather have more information (pixels) and a larger file of information to be able to recover details in the highlights and shadows, which, like jpg in your camera, you have a reduced number of pixels and information. Hopefully, if you video or film images using the histogram and keeping the histogram centered and not clip the highlights and darker areas, you will be able to recover shadows in foregrounds of sunrises and sunsets and bright skies which over power the sensor.

Dale
Miami

Yes I understand. I specifically bought the drone for this reason but I just don't like flying with a washed out, almost black-and-white image. With the "old" mavic do you have enhancement for the display so you could fly around with a more "enhanced"colorized version.

If you could drop your own LUT on the radio that would be next level but I doubt that it has enough CPU to do that type of correction real-time.

I have had the Skygrade LUTs as well for a few years now ;) I love that look.

Yes I understand. I specifically bought the drone for this reason but I just don't like flying with a washed out, almost black-and-white image. With the "old" mavic do you have enhancement for the display so you could fly around with a more "enhanced"colorized version.

If you could drop your own LUT on the radio that would be next level but I doubt that it has enough CPU to do that type of correction real-time.

I have had the Skygrade LUTs as well for a few years now ;) I love that look.
I have absolutely no clue as to what you mean by "drop your own LUT on the radio..."means. Nevertheless, I am quite happy with what I am doing now, using Premiere and the package I bought from Film Poets.

On the new smart radio there is no enhance color option. on the old smart radio there was. It was like adding a LUT to you view screen so when you were shooting DLOG you had a view like you would when using a decent LUT but the footage was shot flat.

So if you could drop your favorite LUT on to your radio/DJI Fly app you would know how it was going to look when you were flying. You would not have to wait till post (in Premire).

On the new smart radio there is no enhance color option. on the old smart radio there was. It was like adding a LUT to you view screen so when you were shooting DLOG you had a view like you would when using a decent LUT but the footage was shot flat.

So if you could drop your favorite LUT on to your radio/DJI Fly app you would know how it was going to look when you were flying. You would not have to wait till post (in Premire).
Aha- you mean radio controller! I understand now.

Reactions: DebianDog
Hi All,
I’m new here. Have been flying for some time On Mavic 2 Pro. Now have the Mavic 3 Cine also.

Has anyone tried to connect an iPad to the RC Pro ? Didn’t seem to like the iPad Pro i connected.
The iPad could not see the files i created either. ( Downloaded them to micro USB and with an adapter was able to connect it to the USB C port of the iPad.). I could see them fine on the Mac Book Pro though.

Strange……. Any thoughts ?

I know! I'm dumbfounded about every firmware update and still nothing? I guess I'm going to have to set up my Blackmagic video assist with a lut and fly from there, it's going to be clunky but it's better than mushy greyness

Hi All,
I’m new here. Have been flying for some time On Mavic 2 Pro. Now have the Mavic 3 Cine also.

Has anyone tried to connect an iPad to the RC Pro ? Didn’t seem to like the iPad Pro i connected.
The iPad could not see the files i created either. ( Downloaded them to micro USB and with an adapter was able to connect it to the USB C port of the iPad.). I could see them fine on the Mac Book Pro though.

Strange……. Any thoughts ?
Is it a m1 ipad pro? I wouldn't even bother unless you can add a lut, I'm going to try viewing the feed with a 7' Blackmagic video assist with the 709 conversion lut today

I didn't see any option to toggle lut assist on the RC pro when using d log. I figure that creating a version of DJI fly or go or whatever the app is called now that has the functionality of the Mavic pro series and not the watered-down Mavic air series that doesn't have a true log so they didn't have a proper viewing lut already in the app. I went from flying on a large ipad to the RC pro screen which I've been impressed with the improvements over previous iterations of smart controllers they have released in the past all of which I found far inferior in connectivity when compared with a stock controller and iPad but flying in a true log format is horrible, I have to toggle to photo all the time to check my composition and color saturation, WB, etc. There is no way any professional beta tester of this setup didn't immediately bring this to DJI's attention so I'm surprised they have not addressed that yet. I'm pretty sure I've been through the menu 9 times and did not see any option to add the lut assist if anyone does have a workaround I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking of running the video feed to Blackmagic video assist and either using a lut that works with a similar log file in the meantime.

Also the intelligent flight modes not being ready I don't understand, did they have a problem in testing and decide to withhold them until a proper fix could be made?
Yes! Yes! No professional ever monitors in log while shooting. You absolutely cannot properly shoot with this drone controller because of LUT assist not available. This is dangerous, unprofessional and virtually impossible to view a log image in daylight and try to guess exposure and focus. That being said, baked in auto sharpening/NR and no low speed Tripod Mode makes Mavic 3 Cine only better than the original Mavic Pro. Better “potential” image quality, but good luck getting focus exposure and dealing with baked in Sharpening/NR! Such a disappointment on many levels.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121