DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2 Zoom Filter Wrench

Hi again Mike, I do not know of anyone who includes the wrench, sorry "mate" :)

Many thanks. Is there any other way I can buy a filter wrench. I didn’t want to have to buy Polar pro filters as they are very expensive

I did a google search on something like "wrench for mavic filters" and found some for the Pro but they all seemed to ship from China with a post-xmas shipping date. They were all pretty cheap.

Hmm, I just got to thinking (dangerous at my age) and they are all kind of U-shaped with a roundish top to surround the filter and then extended legs. But I wonder if you could use the zip-ties used to bundle electrical wire or the instant handcuffs in police dramas!!! Wrap around the lens ring and hold tight. Down to the basement a bit later to test...

For what it is worth, here is my experience with (not) removing the stock filter from my new Mavic 2 Zoom.

I watched one of the YouTube videos out there, which suggested wearing "rubber" gloves, but was only able to get it to turn only a degree or so, using an uncomfortable amount of force. So, I called DJI Support and was told by the agent to try alternating counter clockwise and clockwise rotation to see if it would eventually turn all the way off. After a few cycles and almost no progress, I noticed small white particles were accumulating inside and behind the filter. (bad news).

Agent suggested I return the drone for repair, which I did today. The drone was delivered only 10 days ago, so I should be covered. Glad I purchased Care Refresh.

Unfortunately, I discovered this thread after making the attempt, so did not try using any sort of wrench. Will never know if it would have made a difference.

Hopefully this anecdote will be of value to others.

-- Jim

Reactions: ff22
I was able to remove the factory installed lens cover on my M2Z by wrapping a rubber band (the wider the better) around the original cover and twisting counterclockwise. Came off easily. Now I can switch filters without the rubber band.

Reactions: JAW
For what it is worth, here is my experience with (not) removing the stock filter from my new Mavic 2 Zoom.

I watched one of the YouTube videos out there, which suggested wearing "rubber" gloves, but was only able to get it to turn only a degree or so, using an uncomfortable amount of force. So, I called DJI Support and was told by the agent to try alternating counter clockwise and clockwise rotation to see if it would eventually turn all the way off. After a few cycles and almost no progress, I noticed small white particles were accumulating inside and behind the filter. (bad news).

Agent suggested I return the drone for repair, which I did today. The drone was delivered only 10 days ago, so I should be covered. Glad I purchased Care Refresh.

Unfortunately, I discovered this thread after making the attempt, so did not try using any sort of wrench. Will never know if it would have made a difference.

Hopefully this anecdote will be of value to others.

-- Jim

This would also be covered with out care refresh

There is a rubber seal around the bezel of camera lens. That is probably what is keeping the cover tight. Mine almost came off from cleaning the tread with ‘goo gone’, a solvent that removes sticky residue.

Hi Guys,

I was looking around for a filter wrench to make the removal and replacement of the filters a bit easier. Somehow Goggle sent me to a web page with information from a guy who made one on a 3D printer and very kindly posted all the necessary files. I grabbed them and I think I may have found a co operative local prototyping company who will print some for me.

If he doesn't ask the great outdoors I will have him run off 20 or so of them and offer them to any here that may want them. I intend to offer them for no charge as my way of saying thanks for the kind reception and for all I've learned here in the short time I've have been a member.

This is what they will look like. Filter is NOT included of course :)

View attachment 46162

Link to my post with the address of the 3D files.

Can't remove stock filter ring
Where can I purchase this tool? Tried everything can not get mine off.

Where can I purchase this tool? Tried everything can not get mine off.

Again, I recommend a camera shop. I guess if such shops still exist. I did find links to China sales but they were all very slow delivery and I did not follow up. Search for Mavic lens wrench or similar.

Again, I recommend a camera shop. I guess if such shops still exist. I did find links to China sales but they were all very slow delivery and I did not follow up. Search for Mavic lens wrench or similar.
Thanks--I found something on ebay that may work----a phantom 3 motor wrench.

I was able to remove the factory installed lens cover on my M2Z by wrapping a rubber band (the wider the better) around the original cover and twisting counterclockwise. Came off easily. Now I can switch filters without the rubber band.
Worked for me!
LensRemoval.jpg

Reactions: Duke56 and ff22
I have tried everything to remove my lens cover off my zoom and have failed. I tried all the tricks and nothing

Reactions: Gringorio
I have a question. Why would anybody feel the need to put on a ND filter with a wrench. And if you’re using it to take one off you’re obviously put it on too tight by hand.

I believe the wrench is to only remove the stock lens. I know I am not able to remove mine at all and have tried all the tricks

I have never had a problem removing the stock lens when I first purchased the drone. I’m sure some of those are on pretty tight though. But I’m sure there are some people out there using that wrench to reinstall the ND filters.

I believe the wrench is to only remove the stock lens. I know I am not able to remove mine at all and have tried all the tricks
It was incredibly tight. And if you apply too much force (hard to judge), the metal can deflect or bend making it even harder. I still like the wire tie idea with the ribs that normally engage the "lock" but serving as ridges to provide additional friction.

Hi Guys,

I was looking around for a filter wrench to make the removal and replacement of the filters a bit easier. Somehow Goggle sent me to a web page with information from a guy who made one on a 3D printer and very kindly posted all the necessary files. I grabbed them and I think I may have found a co operative local prototyping company who will print some for me.

If he doesn't ask the
great outdoors I will have him run off 20 or so of them and offer them to any here that may want them. I intend to offer them for no charge as my way of saying thanks for the kind reception and for all I've learned here in the short time I've have been a member.

View attachment 46162

Polar Pro gives you a wrench with every package of filters.
You might only have to use it once if you put your filters on finger tight, which is all you need.

Hi Guys,

If he doesn't ask the
great outdoors I will have him run off 20 or so of them and offer them to any here that may want them. I intend to offer them for no charge as my way of saying thanks for the kind reception and for all I've learned here in the short time I've have been a member.

View attachment 46162

Hi KG,

My M2Zoom filter is stuck on my drone and rubber gloves are not enough to remove it. Would you have any more of your wrenches for the M2Z that I could use to remove my filter?
Thanks.
Jim in Atlanta.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000