DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't remove stock filter ring

I know this may scratch a lot of heads here when I tell you this but the ring on my mavic air was so tight and locked on that I could not get it off so one day I was so fraustrated that my verbal tones alerted everyone in my house that I had an issues going on in my hobby room my son walked in and asked what is going on in here and I told him. He asked to try and in 1 to 2 seconds later he had the ring loose. It took me for a loop and he said wait so he tighend the ring back on but not overly tightening it and gave it back to me to remove and it was tight and locked on again so I asked what the F is going on and WHY? He said trying this push the ring in with equal amount of pressure and twist, the ring untightened as if i wasn't tight at all. He ( my son) said aluminum has some tendency to tread lock to each other but when I pushed in the ring I released enough metal to metal contact that it freed up the thread lock.
Sons are awsooommme!

They gave me a completely different Mavic Air with a new serial number. They transferred the warranty to this new serial number. Is this what DJI does, they give people refurbished units back, instead of their original drones?
Yes, most people receive a like-new replacement drone.

Here’s what I did. Take the flat USB C cable that comes with the Air. Wrap it round the filter, pinch the 2 ends gently, hold the gimbal and twist. Same method employed for car filters.

You made your own filter wrench. Nice idea!

Reactions: andythilo
I can't recommend enough trying to push in on the ring first before strapping it. I couldn't twist mine off but as soon as I pushed in and twisted it was quite easy.

I chatted with DJI this morning. They just said to go to the Online support and create a ticket to return it to repair center. I did that and it is on it's way there now. Hopefully they don't charge me, because it is a warranty issue.
I also have DJI Care (Refresh), but did not use that on this situation, since it was not my fault. It is warranty issue.
Soooo..... have you got your drone back yet?

Yes, got it back. Well, they replaced it with another drone (different serial number). This one I was able to get the ring off, and install ND filters fine.

Here’s what I did. Take the flat USB C cable that comes with the Air. Wrap it round the filter, pinch the 2 ends gently, hold the gimbal and twist. Same method employed for car filters.

Brilliant, thank you. I had been trying for 2 days.

Reactions: andythilo
Almost gave up.

Tried, "Here’s what I did. Take the flat USB C cable that comes with the Air. Wrap it round the filter, pinch the 2 ends gently, hold the gimbal and twist. Same method employed for car filters."

Worked like a charm after three gentle tries.

GUYS!!! Thanks for the push in tip!!! I just got some filters for my 2 Zoom and was having no luck getting the original one to move. It worked like a charm. I did come across and downloaded some files to make a filter wrench on a 3D printer and was about to try my local library as they have a printer there but now I don't need to!! Here's the web address for the files in case anyone want to try printing some.

DJI Filter Wrench by AzViper

I had / have the same problem and I returned the filters, still can't get the ring to budge.

So I just checked my serial number. They gave me a completely different Mavic Air with a new serial number. They transferred the warranty to this new serial number. Is this what DJI does, they give people refurbished units back, instead of their original drones?

I guess it really doesn't matter much, as long as the warranty is the same. But how much flight time has been on this "refurb" drone?
I thought I read somewhere that if they send a refurb, the serial number will have an “R” at the end...maybe someone can confirm, either way?

As to total time on the unit, is stored internally on the MA. Of course if they refurbish I assume the factory would set that time to 0. Same would be true for the batteries - I know they store usage cycles

I tried my Mavic Air and couldn't get it off. I used the tricked mentioned earlier to push in and twist... and it worked.
Same here...what a relief when it started to move! I was baffled why it was so hard to remove. I put on disposable surgical gloves (nitrile) to get a good grip, and was very careful to hold the camera barrel while applying force to the ring, to avoid putting stress on the gimbal. I’ll bet a lot of people have damaged their MAs trying to unscrew this ring.

Reactions: Don't Wanna
Awww man I’m sorry none of our suggestions worked. Good luck on the replacement unit. My last suggestion was a long shot, but I still would have taken credit for being an awesome technician if it had worked. There are very small filter wrenches available in various on line camera stores but it sounds like the thing is far too stuck that even they would help. Keep us posted when you get the new unit back.
Hey Dive-bomber--- I give you credit for being an AWESOME TECHNICIAN!!! I had the same problem with the factory installed ring on my Mavic Air... tried your tie wrap trick and it worked like a charm. Was familiar with the principle b/c I use an oil filter strap wrench to open jars for my wife... great idea for Mavic camera ring!

So when I get a replacement, can I transfer the DJI Refresh to it? I only had this drone for a week. I didnt buy it from DJI, but another retailer. But bought the DJI Refresh for it from DJI.
If DJI replaces the entire drone they will probably register it under your existing DJICare. They did mine. Of course I had it replaced under my DJICare. You can ask them or wait and compare the number registered. I recommend being proactive.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13