DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't remove stock filter ring

I chatted with DJI this morning. They just said to go to the Online support and create a ticket to return it to repair center. I did that and it is on it's way there now. Hopefully they don't charge me, because it is a warranty issue.
I also have DJI Care (Refresh), but did not use that on this situation, since it was not my fault. It is warranty issue.
I doubt they'll charge you. The filter is supposed to be removable. If you can't remove it, it's not your fault. DJI's customer support used to be abysmal, but I think they realized they were starting to lose customers, so it's better these days. They wouldn't even pick up the phone sometimes. Not sure why it is, but a lot of Chinese companies were that way. They were focused on selling new items, but their customer support and spare parts were almost non-existent. Overall, they're getting better, little by little. Ryze, which makes the Tello (another Chinese company), has very nice support. The people who answer the phone are patient, and don't mind explaining something you don't understand. As a result, they're probably selling even more of their cool little drones (I have one for rainy days, when the MP doesn't want to go out and play).

I chatted with DJI this morning. They just said to go to the Online support and create a ticket to return it to repair center. I did that and it is on it's way there now. Hopefully they don't charge me, because it is a warranty issue.
I also have DJI Care (Refresh), but did not use that on this situation, since it was not my fault. It is warranty issue.

DJI repaired both my and hubby's aircraft under warranty, and paid the shipping both ways. His was bought on Amazon, mine from DJI.

Have you had an update on your case yet? I’ve had to send mine back today too for the exact same reason.

Have you had an update on your case yet? I’ve had to send mine back today too for the exact same reason.
I am confused if they are fixing this for free or charging me. The email is very confusing. One says Free of Charge next to it. Then the other email says $37.00. I explained I just purchased this device and the ring couldn't come off the very first day. Screenshot_20180412-172724_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20180412-172638_Inbox.jpg

Hmm that is strange, in that second email there’s a charge for $37 but then Total payment is $0? The retailer I purchased mine from is sending it back on my behalf, said the process can take up to 2 weeks. Frustrating.

Hmm that is strange, in that second email there’s a charge for $37 but then Total payment is $0? The retailer I purchased mine from is sending it back on my behalf, said the process can take up to 2 weeks. Frustrating.
It is a bit cryptic. And the parts don't seem to sync with the service you're receiving, unless you bent them in your struggles to get the filter off. Still, the bottom line (literally), is $0.00. If there's no statement like "Please remit $37.00. We accept credit cards, Paypal, and chickens" I'd guess it's going to be free for you. Just wait a while and see if you get anything else....

I am unable to remove the stock filter ring on my Mavic Air. It was either over-tightened from the factory, or glued on. I've tried the rubber band trick to get more leverage, and also used a pair of needle-nosed pliers, over the rubber band. It just won't turn counter-clockwise to remove it.

I was hoping to use some PolarPro filters I bought, but now I may need to return the Mavic for a different one. I've already used considerable force trying to remove the filter ring. Any thoughts?
View attachment 35359
Yes I had the same problem. A regular rubber band wasn’t working. I came a cross a super gummy rubber band. I kept working on it. I’d stop, work on it again & it finally broke free. Don’t put a lot of pressure on it while turning. I know that’s hard but stay at it. It will eventually break free. Idk try microwave rubber band a little. Get it gummy.

I know this may scratch a lot of heads here when I tell you this but the ring on my mavic air was so tight and locked on that I could not get it off so one day I was so fraustrated that my verbal tones alerted everyone in my house that I had an issues going on in my hobby room my son walked in and asked what is going on in here and I told him. He asked to try and in 1 to 2 seconds later he had the ring loose. It took me for a loop and he said wait so he tighend the ring back on but not overly tightening it and gave it back to me to remove and it was tight and locked on again so I asked what the F is going on and WHY? He said trying this push the ring in with equal amount of pressure and twist, the ring untightened as if i wasn't tight at all. He ( my son) said aluminum has some tendency to tread lock to each other but when I pushed in the ring I released enough metal to metal contact that it freed up the thread lock.

Reactions: projockey
Push the ring into camera and twist at the same time ( But be careful and keep a constant feel of the camera unit). It seems to move the threads apart enough to unmake thread to thread contact.

I am confused if they are fixing this for free or charging me. The email is very confusing. One says Free of Charge next to it. Then the other email says $37.00. I explained I just purchased this device and the ring couldn't come off the very first day. View attachment 35660

View attachment 35659

Have you got your drone back yet? I was told the process will take up to 2 weeks as they have to send it back to DJI. Does it seem like a straight gimbal replacement? I hope they check whether it unscrews before they send them back....

I didn't know that the stock uv filter came off? I just though that the ND filters slipped over the whole assembly. Am I missing something??
The Mavic Air does not have a UV filter. It's just an empty ring.

And if you're referring to the Mavic Pro, that has neither. The filters press onto the camera.

I had the same issue with (2) Phantom 3 Pro's. 15 minutes in the freezer worked for both!

EDIT: At first I couldn't remove the ring. But used a rubber band and it came off easy. So they did fix it. All the repair says is that they changed out the "Gimbal Axis Arm Module". I guess that includes the camera?

Last edited:
Mine has come back too, I don’t think they even sent it off to DJI they must have managed to release it themselves as it unscrews easily now. Finally can use the filters.

So I just checked my serial number. They gave me a completely different Mavic Air with a new serial number. They transferred the warranty to this new serial number. Is this what DJI does, they give people refurbished units back, instead of their original drones?

I guess it really doesn't matter much, as long as the warranty is the same. But how much flight time has been on this "refurb" drone?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman