DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P asking for compass calibration

Donzo98

Reactions
My M2P remote shows compass requiring calibration every time I use it.

That wasn't the case with the MP.

Have you guys noticed this?? Is thee some fix??

I sometimes use my Outback to get to flying spots. I usually get setup in the open hatch. I have noticed that if I start up the M2 with it sitting inside the open hatch I sometimes will get a calibration request.

If I start up away from my vehicles not so much. Maybe the proximity to all that metal causes the issue.

I sometimes use my Outback to get to flying spots. I usually get setup in the open hatch. I have noticed that if I start up the M2 with it sitting inside the open hatch I sometimes will get a calibration request.
If I start up away from my vehicles not so much. Maybe the proximity to all that metal causes the issue.
That's not a calibration request at all.
It's your compass warning you that it's detecting a magnetic field that could cause problems.
DJI's wording for the warning is very poor.
It says .. Move aircraft or calibrate compass.
But no-one ever seems to notice the part I underlined and the second part is never the correct action.
Recalibrating your compass because you are close to a large lump of steel is never going to fix the problem that the compass is warning you about.

Last edited:
It's your compass warning you that it's detecting a magnetic field that could cause problems.
It says Move aircraft or calibrate compass.
But no-one ever seems to notice the part I underlines and the second part is never the correct action.
Recalibrating your compass because you are close to a large lump of steel is never going to fix the problem that the compass is warning you about.

While understand the distinction you making, there have been several times that I assumed moving away from the car would solve the problem but didn't. Even turning the M2 off and back on away from the car did not clear the request to calibrate.

So I have reached no firm conclusion on what causes the request(s). The one firm decision I have made is to calibrate when in doubt, cost nothing but a few seconds.

It says .. Move aircraft or calibrate compass.
But no-one ever seems to notice the part I underlined and the second part is never the correct action.

I received the compass warning even though I couldn't see any metal nearby so moved the Mavic and still kept warning about the compass until I calibrated it and the drone worked fine. I've flown in exactly the same spots with the Mavic Pro and never had a compass warning.

I received the compass warning even though I couldn't see any metal nearby so moved the Mavic and still kept warning about the compass until I calibrated it and the drone worked fine. I've flown in exactly the same spots with the Mavic Pro and never had a compass warning.
If you have the Mavic 2, DJI have some dumb programming that asks for a fresh compass calibration every 30 days (even though it's completely unnecessary).

Never had to calibrate the compass on the Mavic 2 so far, the Air on the other hand was a complete nightmare, every flight and even then unable to fly on several occasions

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard