DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Compass Calibration requested?

Has your Mavic 2 needed compass calibration after your first flight?

• No, it has not requested it after more than 3 flights.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • No it has not needed after more than 10 flights.

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Yes it has requested it before every flight.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Yes it has requested it every few flights.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Yes it has requested it, but only after 10 flights or more.

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters

Former Member

Reactions
It seems like some Mavic 2's are more prone to needing compass calibration than others. Mine has had to be calibrated a few times, where my MP only needed it every so often. Question here is, if you fly from the same spot every time, has your Mavic 2 needed calibration more than once every few flights or not very often?

It seems like some Mavic 2's are more prone to needing compass calibration than others. Mine has had to be calibrated a few times, where my MP only needed it every so often. Question here is, if you fly from the same spot every time, has your Mavic 2 needed calibration more than once every few flights or not very often?
It doesn't matter if it's flown from the same location. Maybe the question should be does it require a calibration once every few flights.

Reactions: Former Member
It doesn't matter if it's flown from the same location. Maybe the question should be does it require a calibration once every few flights.

It does matter a if a pilot calibrates it from different locations and is unsure if there is magnetic interference at one of those locations. If it is flown at a known location where there was never any magnetic interference before with this or a previous drone, and now the drone compass needs to be calibrated more frequently, it's possible that it is a hardware problem.

Reactions: frank candor
I calibrated everything before the first flight (just because that's how I am) and have never had a request to calibrate the compass in 190 flights with the M2P. I fly mostly from my home and have only traveled about 30 miles from there. I also never received a request to calibrate the compass in two years with the Mavic Pro.

My M2P has never requested a compass calibration, even at first flight. Probably have 20 or so flights since receiving it

Ive never had a request either, i did it before the first flight and when i went to a friends to fly. 23 flights now and ive done it twice just cause.

My M2P just asked again for the first time, with the DAT log entry stating that it was 30 days since the last (i.e. original) calibration. That calibration was done at the same location on 8/29, so the 30 day interval is correct.

33.131 : 1849 [L-NS][AHRS] wmm dec: 8.590796
33.131 : 1849 [L-NS][AHRS] wmm inc: 62.866161
34.350 : 1921 [L-DBG1]update ram gps date:20180928
34.350 : 1921 [L-DBG1]update flash gps date:20180928
34.367 : 1922 [L-COMPASS][mag_cali_pt] date_from_last 30|
34.522 : 1931 [L-FMU/LED]action changed. compass out of range:need_cali(1)

I've never been asked. Just checked this evening after passing the 30 day mark a couple days ago.

I've never been asked. Just checked this evening after passing the 30 day mark a couple days ago.

At least one event log has been posted that has a "last calibration date" years in the future, which would mean that it would not prompt. You may have the same.

Reactions: frank candor
hello

my mavic 2 zoom asked me a few times to calibrate the compass, it was always in places that provide some metalic disturbances or magnetic interface, change the spot and all good,
one of the times, the drone was asking for calibration, i just change the spot 30meters away, and didn´t need calibration, the diference of the spots was on the first there was some metalic round tube obstacules, i guess it was making some interference like a parabolic antenna.

i notice in spots with many aluminium materials, when start the drone it give message to calibrate, away from alunimiuns the message does no appear, this is what i´m learning in first personal tests (noob pilot)

There is not an option for what mine seems to be doing so I thought I would describe it. It has only asked me to re-calibrate my compass when I move ~30 miles away from where the Mavic 2 was last used.

This has me worried now... mine was fine for first 5/6 flights but has since requested before each flight for last 2 weeks, some have been in different locations but most have been quite local, should I be concerned now? no crashes/incidents at all

If it wants it every 30 miles that's going to be a big issue for me. I primarily used it off a boat and it'll cover more than that distance every trip.
And no really good way of calibrating it on a boat exists.

While our resident scientists are trying to figure out why some M2's need calibration and others dont, a simple answer is this. If your compass requires calibration, do a few spins to calibrate it, and go fly.

Only 2 out of 17 (12%) members find it needs calibration before every flight. I have had some Mavics, Airs, Phantoms and Sparks that did too. It doesnt worry me too much as long as it doesnt lose calibration during flight.

While our resident scientists are trying to figure out why some M2's need calibration and others dont, a simple answer is this. If your compass requires calibration, do a few spins to calibrate it, and go fly.

Only 2 out of 17 (12%) members find it needs calibration before every flight. I have had some Mavics, Airs, Phantoms and Sparks that did too. It doesnt worry me too much as long as it doesnt lose calibration during flight.

I'd like to take a look at the DAT file from an aircraft that is requesting calibration every flight.

This has me worried now... mine was fine for first 5/6 flights but has since requested before each flight for last 2 weeks, some have been in different locations but most have been quite local, should I be concerned now? no crashes/incidents at all

Can you possibly post your Dat files?

Is it possible that it's been 30+ days since the M2 has had a compass calibration? If so, take a look at this thread
Mavic 2 wants a compass calibration 30 days after last one

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000