DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P Gimbal Axis Arm Module broken

FlyRobFly

Reactions
Greetings, all.

I've had my Mavic 2 Pro for about 2 months now and about 2 weeks ago was on vacation & getting some shots with my drone. Well, I wasn't thinking when at the very end of my trip (thank God) I decided I wanted to get one more series of beach shots, so i loaded the drone into a bag (not thinking about out it) WITHOUT the gimbal lock installed. Power up and all is normal, the gimbal goes through its motions/calibration...only at the very end of the power-up sequence, the camera looks almost straight down, and I cannot manually (or automatically) pan it up or down, or get it to right itself. The drone would fly fine, just with the camera in its newly "fixed" sad position.

The really strange thing to me here is that after subsequently powering down, then back up again, the camera/gimbal goes though its FULL range of motion (including up/down, etc) but once it's "ready to fly" the camera looks down and stays there.

I took the drone to my authorized DJI retailer for repair, who then had to send it off to the service center (?) since the part was not readily available in stock and the diagnosis was the Gimbal Axis Arm Module broken. $220 for the part, and $89 for the labor (1 hour), plus tax for a grand total of $326.49...and no, I dont have Refresh. Ugh.

The point of this post is simply as a warning to those who may be in a rush to get that last shot...install the gimbal lock ANY TIME you are transporting your drone! I only had it in the bag there for maybe 100 yards (those drawstring-type backpacks with nothing else in it) and a few minutes, but apparently the way the drone was oriented in the bag, without the gimbal lock, caused me $326 and some lost shots. The only saving grace was that this was after two full days of shooting.

To the techs in the group...am I correct that carrying it in the bag without the lock was the culprit here, and am I being charged a fair amount for the repair? Had to get it done ASAP...I have a ski trip in Utah that i wanted the unit back for.

Am I too late for Refresh (for future potential issues) considering I've already had a repair?

Cheers all, and thanks for reading/replying. Safe flying.

Thunderdrones may have some insight.
Check with him.
And yes, I would think the bag may not be the best way to cart it around.
Hope you get it solved.

I thought I remember that you can get REFRESH on an older drone but you have to prove to them that the drone is "fit as a fiddle"

Now is getting it repaired by authorized center enough? Or might the fact that it was injured disallow it. Check with the repair center and check the DJI store.

Good luck with further flights and use.

Reactions: FlyRobFly
That DANG gimbal cover! I swear that thing causes more heartache than anything else. How nice would it be to have the gimbal mechanically "lock" itself when power is removed? Add a foam lens cap and presto, change oh, no more heartaches (or less anyway.) <chuckling>

If it isn't determined to be a warranty issue, my first call would be to Rob at Thunderdrones...for sure.

Hope you are flying and filming again real soon.

Reactions: FlyRobFly
That DANG gimbal cover! I swear that thing causes more heartache than anything else. How nice would it be to have the gimbal mechanically "lock" itself when power is removed? Add a foam lens cap and presto, change oh, no more heartaches (or less anyway.) <chuckling>

If it isn't determined to be a warranty issue, my first call would be to Rob at Thunderdrones...for sure.

Hope you are flying and filming again real soon.
thank you, kilo! i appreciate it! looks like i get the drone back tomorrow. DJI (apparently) ended up sending an entire replacement drone. i had to pay for the parts and labor for my "old" drone, but i'll have a new one. pretty **** cool of them, if you ask me. on top of that, now that it's a "new" drone, i can get Refresh within 48 hours without any questions asked. SOLD!

Cheers!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3