DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P obstacle avoidance system - when sensing obstacle (wall), I'm "stuck" at the wall unable to back away!

Anterialis

Reactions
Hi,
I recently purchased the new M2P upgrading from the MPP. It was definitely the right choice for me, wanting the best image quality for the buck. I do however remember I had one peculiar issue with the MPP which it seems to apply to the new M2P drone as well.

Problem:
a few days ago I wanted to test the obstacle avoidance system, and I chose to fly (carefully/slowly) closer and closer to the side wall of my house. The drone correctly identified the obstacle and started beeping and around 10-20 cm (half a foot) to the wall, it wouldnt let me get any closer (I think, I didn't have the money to keep going closer..). The problem was however, that it wouldnt let me "exit" the danger zone by backing off 180 dgrs. away from the wall! I entered the wall sideways (lets say left side of drone closest to the wall), and when I was really close (15 cm) i stopped and applied right stick to fly back away from the wall at 180 dgrs. The drone would not le me do this, and for a nervous 5-10 seconds, I was "glued" 10-20 cm from the wall while applying full right stick (rightwards on the left joystick). This same behaviour I noticed with the MPP and it almost made me crash a couple of times. What is the reason for this behavior? Have you noticed anything simillar?

Thank you for your inputs =)

so, you can put a switch for optical system on the left rear button to get it off and on during flight fast and when stuck like that - disable it and back off. it did not go back probably as you flew in sideways - and side cameras are not used, then after rotation it most likely had an obstacle behind the drone as well, so it refused to go. if front sensor would see the wall - it would not let you get so close to it to begin with.

That's a valid point, paulatkin73. I can imagine that - since the side sensors are off - flying in partly sideways would make the front and/or back sensors see the wall getting closer and refuse to fly either way. But shouldn't the drone understand that the obstacle is to the left of the drone, even though only the front and back sensors are seeing the wall (off to the left)? Assigning a non-used button to trigger sensors on/off is a good idea, but I sort of feel the drone should deal with this problem with the sensors on in the first place..

Kilah, no I was at lest 5 meters/yards away and 2 meters underneath the drone...

Iv seen this happen a few times-
The Solution often, is to change Height somewhat.

I find if I wiggle next to a Wall that has some Other Extrusion close By - Say a Tree to my left or right - The Mavic will refuse certain other movements (On TWO sensors activated)

I get around this By changing Altitude away from One or two Obsticals.

ALternatively-

Turn the Drone aroundand fly towards an Open Space - OR Sport mode Disables sensors -

Last edited:
I 've experienced the same issue. What I found is exactly as mentioned in the last post, change the altitude. When I had the experience, I was able to land the drone and then move it for take off.

Thank you for useful inputs.

To sum it all up:
If the drone is “stuck” or “glued” to the wall, always remember that “sport mode” is your friend as it will turn of sensors and let you do necessary moves. Changing altitude up/down next to the object may also let you free.

:)

If you activate SPORT mode to get out of the stuck position, plan what stick control inputs your going to make before you do it. That close to the wall, remote controller in Sport mode, and the wrong stick input is a sure way to crash.

Reactions: JakeBlues
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet