DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P: power backup for controller?

bushmiller

Reactions
I know many people have extra batteries, but what do you when your M2 Pro controller runs out of power? Is there any way to power controller out in the field? Do some people have more than one controller?

I realize that the controller lasts longer than a single drone battery, but they don't last forever. I'm using a Google Pixel Android phone...might that be sucking up some of the charge?

Since the controller is charged via USB, the most straight-forward way is to charge it via a portable battery, whatever Anker or similar device you might carry.

I've not charged it while using it and I wouldn't recommend it, as the side port is fragile (search these groups with people asking how to fix a ports that gets broken -- it's a PITA and not cheap).

Just keep an eye on it and charge it every so many AC batteries.

Chris

I'm using a Google Pixel Android phone...might that be sucking up some of the charge?
Yes. Andriod phones suck power from the controller and nothing can be done about that. For iphones, it is possible to disable the charging of the phone by the controller. If set that way, the controller's battery can last for more than 3 batteries of flying.

When flying in warm weather, my experience (M2P, Android phone) is that the controller battery will last through three AC batteries. In really cold weather, that declines from 3-1 to closer to 1-1. Hasn't been too much of a problem because my fingers last even less time! I haven't tried it, but I've wondered about attaching one of those portable hand warmers under the controller.

I know many people have extra batteries, but what do you when your M2 Pro controller runs out of power? Is there any way to power controller out in the field? Do some people have more than one controller?

I realize that the controller lasts longer than a single drone battery, but they don't last forever. I'm using a Google Pixel Android phone...might that be sucking up some of the charge?

Attachments

• IMG_20201030_110004.jpg
    IMG_20201030_110004.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • Mini OTG.jpg
    Mini OTG.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24

I have an external battery attached to the bracket that holds the Crystal sky and controller.I can easily go through 10 batteries(I have 7 and a Smatree M2P drone battery charger)If I use the external battery to charge the controller even after 10 drone battery charges the controller has 70% left.Due to the fragility of the side mini USB on the controller I leave a cable plugged into it and tape it.I have the one pictured but there are many sizes and shaped to chose from.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 12.11.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 12.11.35 AM.png
    532.8 KB · Views: 12

Maybe..,
I can fly 6-7 fully charged batteries with my M2P and still have 45-55% of the controller battery charge left.... I use my CS most of the time, and occasionally my SC.

I also carry a Hanatora car charger plug.

If you use the bottom USB A port to connect to the phone or tablet, then you can simultaneously connect a power bank to the side Micro USB port on the controller to keep it powered up and stop it from draining. Be careful as the side micro USB port is delicate and you would not want to put a strain on it while flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan