DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P vs. MPZ

Jelly Rat

Reactions
I am completely new to the drone thing. I am conflicted between the M2P vs the ZOOM. I use a MAC and I am not computer smart. I am mostly on my kayak fishing the flats and I want some cool video. The zoom looks like the best way to go for real time edits but the camera on the pro seems to be better all around. Any thoughts on which drone would be the best way to go with me being a complete drone green pea?

Lots of threads on this already - here is my take along with some other discussion: Sold the Pro 2 for a Zoom

Short answer is if you ever take photos, or ever want to edit your footage, or do any lower light work - go with the Pro as it is significantly more flexible in that regard (1" sensor, 10bit DLog-M, adjustable aperture). If you don't take photos and don't really care to do any editing or post processing, you won't be giving up as much by going for the zoom. Either way you get the Mavic 2 platform which is phenomenal.

You can also use the Pro in Normal mode which provides pre-processed footage, so you aren't forced to do any extra work with the pro that is otherwise done for you on the Zoom, for example. Photo capability is night & day better on the Pro, video is less of a difference in normal mode but if you are shooting 10bit D-Log or at higher ISOs, again the Pro sees a substantial advantage, but you will need to process DLog footage.

Last edited:
No interest in the Spark.??....Air..??
Full disclosure I fly a Mavic Pro 1 (04-26-17)

Have done a far bit of research on these two drones MP2,MP2Z
these two are not a Start and go drone Like the spark /air.

Personaly I would not travel with these Drone because Of the price..
and because if i'm out and my drone goes down and needs to be rescued
you have to weigh .... Price vs Time to recover drone @ $1400-$1800 base price
that might be a deal breaker for traveling
yes They could be portable but not without lots of preflight prep..!!

again These mavic's are not a Start and launch drone ...
.They need a bit of setup Time to have successful flight's
and some time if you change your location you may need to recalibrate your Compass/IMU

The Camera/ gimbles need extra care so not to get damaged
...............just getting the gimble guard on can be a real struggle..

These are what i would call heavy drones. 2+ lb

. with extra batterys,Filters,extraBlades, the Craft and Radio,Viewer,Cables,Charger
the case just to carry you MP2/MP2Z equiptment gets to be
the size of a large camera bag/ small carry-on
also DJI has been putting out a new firmware about every 90days (3 in 2018)
Firmware/app Update sometime can take up to 30 minutes or longer depending on the enviroment

For a selfie aspect I would pick the Zoom
the Pro2 would be idea for low light situation
My thread
Mavic Zoom vs Mavic Pro2
My personal choice is the MP2 and down the road get a MP2Z replacement camera

My MP1 has taught me.....
Prep,prep and more prep then a wish and a prayer that will give a succsessful flight most of the time

......cR

No interest in the Spark.??....Air..??
Full disclosure I fly a Mavic Pro 1 (04-26-17)

Have done a far bit of research on these two drones MP2,MP2Z
these two are not a Start and go drone Like the spark /air.

Personaly I would not travel with these Drone because Of the price..
and because if i'm out and my drone goes down and needs to be rescued
you have to weigh .... Price vs Time to recover drone @ $1400-$1800 base price
that might be a deal breaker for traveling
yes They could be portable but not without lots of preflight prep..!!

again These mavic's are not a Start and launch drone ...
.They need a bit of setup Time to have successful flight's
and some time if you change your location you may need to recalibrate your Compass/IMU

The Camera/ gimbles need extra care so not to get damaged
...............just getting the gimble guard on can be a real struggle..

These are what i would call heavy drones. 2+ lb

. with extra batterys,Filters,extraBlades, the Craft and Radio,Viewer,Cables,Charger
the case just to carry you MP2/MP2Z equiptment gets to be
the size of a large camera bag/ small carry.

I could not disagree with you more. The Mavic series not a “start and go drone”??? The mp1 has been my start and go drone since day 1. I travel all over the place with it. You simply hold it up in the air and take off from your hand, vice versa when landing. So you don’t need extra batteries, cables, and chargers for spark or air? News to me. Very misinformative post.

Last edited:
I am completely new to the drone thing. I am conflicted between the M2P vs the ZOOM. I use a MAC and I am not computer smart. I am mostly on my kayak fishing the flats and I want some cool video. The zoom looks like the best way to go for real time edits but the camera on the pro seems to be better all around. Any thoughts on which drone would be the best way to go with me being a complete drone green pea?

I’ve been kayaking/boating/fishing with the mp1 since it came out. Range and versatility vs the air are hardly comparable. You’ll be able to scout the flats for fish like crazy too. Just make sure you are very comfortable taking off and landing with your hand and obviously have a dry bag. And buy dji care. If this is your first drone I’d go with the the zoom.

The sensor in the M2P is over 2x the size of the Zoom. Picture quality is vastly superior especially on large screen.

I agree. The main advantage of the zoom is that you can get a closer view while you are in the air. Once you are on the ground at home though, the higher resolution photo can be zoomed in just as much so your final result is going to be just as good.

I could not disagree with you more. The Mavic series not a “start and go drone”???So you don’t need extra batteries, cables, and chargers for spark or air? News to me. Very misinformative post.
It's OK if you don't understand
Or if you disagree with my post ..!!

I'm not the know all of drones
I've only been flying RC Helicopters (and
Drone last few years)
since 1989

So let me help you now.... What part of my post about MP2 & MP2Z do you not understand.?

The OP was asking about the MP2 and MP2Z...not about the Air or Spark and I believe they do have chargers
I read your post and believe that
You are misleading the OP on how well the MP1 preforms.!
And will standby my statement .

You must do some preflight prep before launching Mavic.!

And "Hand launching and catching"
Is a very dangerous practice
Not recommend by the manufacturer or any veteran drone pilot to a new drone owner
.cR

Reactions: old man mavic
It's OK if you don't understand
Or if you disagree with my post ..!!

I'm not the know all of drones
I've only been flying RC Helicopters (and
Drone last few years)
since 1989

So let me help you now.... What part of my post about MP2 & MP2Z do you not understand.?

The OP was asking about the MP2 and MP2Z...not about the Air or Spark and I believe they do have chargers
I read your post and believe that
You are misleading the OP on how well the MP1 preforms.!
And will standby my statement .

You must do some preflight prep before launching Mavic.!

And "Hand launching and catching"
Is a very dangerous practice
Not recommend by the manufacturer or any veteran drone pilot to a new drone owner
.cR

Are you slow? Do I need to remind you that you prompted the op to consider the spark or air? You insinuated that the Mavic somehow is less of a “launch and go” type of drone-which is just an outlandish, anecdotal thing to say considering what it was designed for. Hand launching and catching is simple, is better for your drone, and opens up an entire new ability to launch and go for quick shots and difficult terrain. Very dangerous? How? Again, another biased statement. You want him to take off and land from the front of his kayak? How on earth am I misleading him? I’m either on top of a 14,000ft man or I’m kayaking and fly fishing with my drone monthly. Can you relate? This isn’t your thread, it’s the op’s; try and be practical for how he wants to fly.

Lots of threads on this already - here is my take along with some other discussion: Sold the Pro 2 for a Zoom

Short answer is if you ever take photos, or ever want to edit your footage, or do any lower light work - go with the Pro as it is significantly more flexible in that regard (1" sensor, 10bit DLog-M, adjustable aperture). If you don't take photos and don't really care to do any editing or post processing, you won't be giving up as much by going for the zoom. Either way you get the Mavic 2 platform which is phenomenal.

You can also use the Pro in Normal mode which provides pre-processed footage, so you aren't forced to do any extra work with the pro that is otherwise done for you on the Zoom, for example. Photo capability is night & day better on the Pro, video is less of a difference in normal mode but if you are shooting 10bit D-Log or at higher ISOs, again the Pro sees a substantial advantage, but you will need to process DLog footage.
My zoom takes fantastic photos ...i wouldnt say its night and day i have the zoom and pro 2 and sometimes prefer the zoom!!!

Reactions: Sniperfritz
I have the pro but wth dolly zoom wish I had zoom.

i do not believe cR was trying to mislead the OP he was trying to prevent the OP from a expensive purchase as a newbie.hand launching and catching takes practice and can be dangerous enough on dry land never mind in a Kayak,he was just giving what he thought was sound advice

Reactions: kilomikebravo
I watched a few videos about hand catching and launching before attempting. I know it is not recommended by the manufacturer.
I found that the Air is much easier to catch with the prop guards on. There will always be the fight between Pro and Zoom though.

i do not believe cR was trying to mislead the OP he was trying to prevent the OP from a expensive purchase as a newbie.hand launching and catching takes practice and can be dangerous enough on dry land never mind in a Kayak,he was just giving what he thought was sound advice

All the more reason to get the Mavic 2 since it is now even simpler than before to launch and land from the hand (ie don’t have grab or even turn off bottom sensors anymore).

Reactions: Sniperfritz
I have the pro but wth dolly zoom wish I had zoom.
Ive used it maybe twice....the camera on the zoom in general for its size continues to blow me away

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
My zoom takes fantastic photos ...i wouldnt say its night and day i have the zoom and pro 2 and sometimes prefer the zoom!!!

The difference is very significant, and that gets even more significant if you do any kind of post processing of the RAW files (the file malleability of a 1/2.3" sensor image is almost zero). We have almost double the resolution from a sensor 4x as large, and at that point it's just physics - it is objectively much better. I have a Mavic Air (same sensor as M2 Zoom) and a Mavic 2 Pro and I don't even take photos with my Air because the quality is so low. It's fine for casual snaps but that's about it in my opinion. If you are happy with it though that's all that matters! You're very lucky to own both!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom