Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Zoom vs Mavic Pro2

charliesRig

Reactions
Its time for an upgrade from my MP1
I don't want regrets.
At first i was set on the zoom
But the bigger camera sensor on the mavic pro2 I could Zoom in Post edit that would exeed the zoom on the Fly i would get with the zoom
not a cinamotography Flyer use my Bird for pictures
and welcome any positive input Thanks
.....cR

Yes I have read that
Buy a mavic pro2 and Down the road get a zoom camera/gimble/board switch it out very duable

Reactions: BD0G
Both great drones, love my MP2. It does take a cracking photo in the rights hands with its 20 MP 1” CMOS sensor plus the adjustable aperture.

Can’t say to much about the zoom cos I don’t have one, but I’m sure people will join in here with more details about it.

Reactions: charliesRig
Both great drones, love my MP2. It does take a cracking photo in the rights hands with its 20 MP 1” CMOS sensor plus the adjustable aperture.

Can’t say to much about the zoom cos I don’t have one, but I’m sure people will join in here with more details about it.

Porky
I read some of your post and
Like what I read ..
And hear what your saying.Thanks

My Mavic is hitting the two year mark and with the battery's starting to fail
Not going to invest anymore money into
My MP1 I'll just keep it
Because of the history there's probably not much value in it but for parts.

That and I have extra funds to update this hobby again

.....cR

Last edited:
Reactions: Porky
I can’t speak for the zoom as I have never used it but I bought the Pro last week. Im sure the zoom is fantastic for its own merits. I’m not a professional photographer but appreciate good quality photos and was swayed to the pro due to the larger sensor, night time shots are impressive and the camera is stunning during the day. I think unless you absolutely need the optical zoom the pro is worth the extra cash. It’s possibly more future proof too (next refresh cycle I’m assuming the zoom will get a similar sensor) and may hold its value better? I don’t know.

Either way it will be a solid upgrade I’m sure.

For me the main factor when making the choice is what your more interested in achieving with it. If you understand how manual adjusments of Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO work in Photography and videography, or want to learn then the Pro is a no Brainer, The manual aperture adjustment and low light capability is awesome on the Pro although realistically go to high on the fstops and its not so useable. They really are both great bits of kit, it just depends on what you want to use it for now or in the future.

thank you both Truly ownest answers..Thumbswayup
I had put in my request with the powers to be "The wife" and will see what comes of it...
Thanks to all for your responce
I will update this thread in the future ....STDBY
....cR

Reactions: Chazzaa
thank you both Truly ownest answers..Thumbswayup
I had put in my request with the powers to be "The wife" and will see what comes of it...
Thanks to all for your responce
I will update this thread in the future ....STDBY
....cR

That’s the worst part now, trying to sell it to “her indoors” if my wife had her way I’d be flying around with the crappiest drone out thereo_O bless her;)

Good luck Charlie, what ever one you go for will be the right one for youThumbswayup

Looking forward to the update from you on this thread;)

I think you might find this thread useful:

Sold the Pro 2 for a Zoom

In my personal opinion the Pro is a no-brainer, especially if you plan on taking any still photos or if you process your videos at all.

If you are a very casual user, and will always be, and don't like to take still photos or process anything, you can make a stronger case for the zoom.

I bought the M2Pro 2 more than 2 months ago and just love it. I am a casual user, not a photography expert, use it on automatic camera settings all the time and am continually blown away by the stills and video. I looked hard at the Zoom and decided on the Pro. If I want to get closer to the subject I just push the right stick forward or left stick down. Also I can always zoom in digitally after the fact from 20MP down to 8MP and still end up with the same resolution with stills. The only reason I can think of to get the Zoom would be if you can’t, or don’t want to fly closer to the subject. Wildlife comes to mind, although I have flown within 50ft of birds and deer with no reaction.

Just my 2 cents.

The Pro is $250 more expensive.
If you pixel peep then a full zoom image on the Zoom will, I believe, have slightly higher resolution.
The zoom may allow you to remain further from your subject.
Pro has 1 stop greater dynamic range?
Pro has 2 stops better ISO range on the dark end.
Pro has a wider color gamut
Larger sensor in pro should have less diffraction.
Theoretically the Pro should allow for better bokeh.

In almost every instance I think the Pro will provide a better image. The only possible exception I can think of is, as mentioned above, wildlife photography where you don't want to spook some animals but even here, shooting from the same distance and cropping in post, I think you'll have a better image.

The price difference is why I have the Zoom....Spent the difference on batteries....lol.....
But now that I am an addict......I will probably get a second camera as well....or another drone?.....**** you DJI!!! Lol

Very good points and why I wished for a pro over a zoom because I fly at dusk and the bigger sensor would allow for low light situation
...Then you chimed in with the more pixi with the zoom.
And thanks for that....

So I made a request as what I favor to
the " Finance department "
(the wife) and after 39 yr I know she like to suprise.....
So when and if I get one or the other or both we'll have to wait and see.
Again thank for all your
great post .!
I'll just be flying/crashing my MP1
(which should not be a surprise to any one on this board)
And waiting......

STDBY I will update this thread at a later date
.....cR....and yes. **** you dji !!! lol

Reactions: fozzzy and Porky
Same situation. Went with zoom for cost. Like it.

The sensor is obvious the main difference. This shows up in low light. I also think that the pro works better fully automated versus the zoom you must constantly use manual settings to get the best shots. Zoom gives you lots of possibilities. I got trees everywhere.

Down the road I figure I will just sell everything and pick up the third generation Mavic in 2020

I think you can get nice pictures on both the Zoom and the Pro, the same for videos.
Ive seen many videos and dont like the colors on the Pro. The colors in the Zoom look more natural to me.
Its just my opinion. Both are great.
Here is a picture with my mavic 2 zoom on superresolution 48MP.

Attachments

• PanoramicaC1.JPG
    9 MB · Views: 590
Last edited:
Reactions: Greenflash
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member