DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P vs P4P?

Dont forget that 4K@60fps in P4P have serious issues (Pixel binning / line skipping) in image quality...

Frankly, I cannot believe this topic is even discussed. The Phantom line is dead in the water. Why would you buy one of those bulky, old school, albatross looking birds when the M2 is available? Yes, there may be a couple of superior camera features on the Phantom, but nowhere close to warrant actually choosing it over the M2.

What's the 4K H265 recording/playback like on the P4P? Im truly struggling to use H265 with my M2P. I'm using a 2017 iMac 5K top spec with 32GB RAM and just can't avoid terrible judder on playback using Quicktime as the player. Tried converting to various flavours of Prores and from H265 to H264 using the iFFMpeg converter all with no joy. Am I correct in thinking that in order to use the 10-bit D-Log feature H265 is the only option? Also tried using iMovie for playback, again no joy. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Reactions: bluesgeek
What's the 4K H265 recording/playback like on the P4P? Im truly struggling to use H265 with my M2P. I'm using a 2017 iMac 5K top spec with 32GB RAM and just can't avoid terrible judder on playback using Quicktime as the player. Tried converting to various flavours of Prores and from H265 to H264 using the iFFMpeg converter all with no joy. Am I correct in thinking that in order to use the 10-bit D-Log feature H265 is the only option? Also tried using iMovie for playback, again no joy. Any help would be much appreciated!!
Your problem isn’t the computer, it’s QuickTime..

Download VLC newest version or nightly build, ensure it has H.265 encoding or Brorsoft Player and your playback will be smooth as butter.

Reactions: bluesgeek
Don’t forget the mechanical shutter on the p4p which could be helpful for action sports. No rolling shutter effect

Mechanical shutter is not used for video on the P4P. So yes, you can and will get rolling shutter effect no matter what.

I owned both for a short period and chose to get rid of the P4P. The color is the main reason I got rid of the P4P. The M2P is closer to actual natural color. The P4P tends to “cool” every shot. Especially during golden hour. Not to mention it’s a pain to lug around the phantom if you’re a photographer too. Camera, lenses, strobes, softboxes, etc. The gear adds up and the Mavic 2 Pro reduces the load.

Since image quality between the two isn’t far off, sometimes the P4P had the better shot and sometimes the M2P did. The only reason to get/keep a P4P depends on the need for 4K@60. Drone shots are pretty slow as it is and I find myself speeding up footage in post rather than slowing it down. Not getting into the fact that most people tend to overuse drone shots in their productions nowadays, in my opinion.

I think that on the P4P 4K at 60fps is so degraded that I would only use it under very special circumstances. I agree, Drone video is usually rather slow action and speeding it up is more likely done. The reason DJI did not do 4K/60fps on the M2P is not to "protect" the phantom sales, but it simply would have required at least 150 if not 200 Mb/s recording bitrate in order to retain decent quality with 10bit color depth. That speed is simply not in the cards for this price range.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d